·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Edwin
-Wes-Rio-Vidic-Evra-

Are they the best ever?

These guys along with the help of O'Shea amongst others have been
more or less ever present in the league this season.

They have conceded 15 goals in the Prem this season and there are 6 games to go.
Sir Alex Ferguson's men are on course to record their leanest Premier League
campaign in terms of goals conceded.

The Reds have conceded just 15 in the league this term and, amazingly, on just
five occasions at Old Trafford - Manchester City (2), Everton, Derby, and this
weekend's opponents at the Riverside, Middlesbrough.

It's a proud record that has been equally as influential as United's attacking
exploits in firing the Reds to the top of the Premier League.

Chelsea should hang on to their record though, with just 15 goals conceded
when they won the title in season 2004/05.

That topped Arsenal's previous Premier League record of conceding just 17 goals
in a league campaign.

United's best previous attempt came in season 1997/98, leaking 25 goals.
With six games to go, the Reds will surely beat that tally, and it could be
crucial if United are to retain the title.

Do you think this is the best defence we have ever had? (stats aside)
Are there any improvements needed?
Any other comments or discussion on our back 5 would be appreciated.

·
Banned
1,238 Posts
I personelly believe the back line of

G neville ------- stam ------------- johnson-------- irwin

should get a mention we did win the treble and they were a great defence . You could go down the years to find good defences there was parker , bruce , pally , irwin . But we I have to admit this defence is good the thing is brown isnt a full back so it makes what he is doing even better you could argue he has been one of the best peformers this season purely off being out of position . As for rio and vidic words dont make you relise how good together they are . And for me evra is the best left back in the world so thats that side covered well .

·
Banned
9,926 Posts
Its a remarkable stat, conceding only 15 goals. Its quite astonishing to think
that a club, in what is supposedly is the best league in the world, can go the
season conceding so few goals.

Over the last two to three years, we were always questioned at the back.
Everyone was a little cautious when they saw the likes of Carroll, Silvestre, Brown
and O'Shea in the back line. However, we've offloaded a dodgy keeper and we've
got three more then able of holding their own. Brown and O'Shea have been a
revelation over the past two years and I think Rio and Nemanja have had a huge
impact on their attitudes.

Was Vidic, the best buy Fergie's ever made? Probably not, but its damn close to it.
Obviously, people will think of Eric, Roy, Peter, Wayne (to name a few), but I think
Nemanja is in the top five. He's knitted the defence together and brought
Ferdinand along too.

Those two have been vital to that record above and without them, I haven't got a
clue where we'd be now. Evra's another star in defence. To me, he's the most
skillful left back in the world at the moment. Not necessarily the best overall, but
the most skillful.

The confidence is also high amongst them and it was there for all to see when
Nemanja suffered that bad injury in Rome. The team could have easily when the
defence know that they've got a quality keeper behind them, they relax
slightly and express themselves and sometimes take risks because they know
that if they slip up, there's quality behind them which won't then take the risk.

Overall, the future looks bright and I'm sure Fergie has some fantastic plans up his
sleeve! ;)

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You metioned the '99 and '94 back 4's and rightly so fazman.
They were up there with the best defences in World Football.
Something tells me that this current back 4 are the best we have ever had.
Im a bit sad about our captain Neville. if he hadnt been injured last season,
he would definitely be in the team adding to the quality. Lets hope we see
him again soon.

Anyway back to this seasons defenders......
These are the defensive records this season:

Brown Ferdinand Vidic Silvestre - 0 Goals, 1 Game
Brown Ferdinand Vidic Evra - 11 Goals, 26 Games
Brown Ferdinand Pique Evra - 2 Goals, 2 Games
Brown Ferdinand Vidic O'Shea - 5 Goals, 4 Games
Simpson Pique J.Evans O'Shea - 1 Goal, 1 Game
Simpson Brown Vidic Evra - 1 Goal, 1 Game
Flecther O'Shea Vidic Evra - 0 Goals, 1 Game
Brown Ferdinand O'Shea Evra - 1 Goal, 1 Game
O'Shea Brown Vidic Evra - 0 Goals, 1 Game
Hargreaves Pique Vidic O'Shea - 0 Goals, 1 Game

·
Banned
9,926 Posts
Jazz 16 said:
him again soon.

The word that springs to mind there is, OPTIONS!

They're endless! BTW, does that mean, O'Shea shouldn't be put left back? :p

·
Banned
1,238 Posts
Jazz 16 said:
him again soon.

Jazz nice thread but i think this maybe is taking it to the extreme lol!!! all i need to know is my defence has played well and they have top draw the lot of them .

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im a football geek, what can I say????
I love a good stat I do......
Anyway do you really think I spent hours researching all that? lol
I just 'found' it somewhere. ;-)

·
Banned
1,238 Posts
Jazz 16 said:
Im a football geek, what can I say????
I love a good stat I do......
Anyway do you really think I spent hours researching all that? lol
I just 'found' it somewhere. ;-)
having got to know you i think you have been replaying them matche over and over till you could tell me every corner every time giggs itches his arse and every rooney miss no wait even you couldnt do that lol!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
590 Posts
This season, our defence has been outstanding. Each individual in our regular back 5 has had argueably their best season in a red shirt, and it has shown in the goals conceeded collum. United are now recognised as having one of the best, if not the best defence in the Premiership.

VDS - A quality goalkeeper with all the experience in the world. Without a doubt the best goalkeeper to play at United since Schmeichel. He can spread confidence throughout the defence and is always reliable. Definatly a man you can feel confident with between the sticks.

Brown - A centre back by trade but has been asked to do a job this season at right-back and has slotted in as if he has been playing there week in week out for years. Strong in the tackle, good in the air and quick across the grass, Wes has given the best wingers in the Premiership a run for their money and has come out with raving reviews everytime. Scored against the scousers as well so that has got to be a plus in anyone's eyes. (Just wish he could get this contract business sorted with the club.)

Ferdinand - The highest paid player in our defence and this season many people would say he has earned this right. He has lead by example and has been the rock at the centre of United's defence. Without a doubt Rio is a top class defender and he really seems to have come into his own recently and looks as if he is loving every minute wearing the captains armband. Rio is quick, strong, a good reader of the game, composed on the ball and can start attacks from the back.

Vidic - Much the same as last season, Vidic has had another outstanding season this year. With his 'take no prisoners' attitude to defending, he has shown just why he has become a permenant fixture in our defence. Vida is the man you want in you side when your back's against the wall, he is a warrior and will battle it out until the end. He plays a vital role in corner kicks at both end's of the pitch with his outstanding heading ability. He has been top class once again.

Evra - The French full-back just seems to keep improving by leaps and bounds each seaon he is at United, and this year has been no different. He is a totally different player to the one who made his debut against City in the 2005/06 campaign, and has developed into one of the best left backs in the world. What Patrice lacks in height and size, he more than makes up with pace, effort and work-rate. He has been crucial in defence, and adds another dimension to the attack when he overlaps our left-sided midfielder. Patrice is definatly a vital player in our defence.

With all this said, United really do have one of the best defences in recent memory.

Ferdinand and Vidic are now talked about in the same way the likes of Bruce and Pallister, and Stam and Johnsen were. These were players who have been the at the heart of United's defence through some truely memorable and Rio and Vida are now looking to write their own history.

Patrice Evra has now well and truely replaced Gabi Heinze as United's No.1 left back and Wes Brown has made Gary Neville's absence from the side as muted as possible. Both full backs have shown they can attack and defend, and have become real assets for the club.

All in all, a great season for the back 5. Let's hope they do themselves justice in the run-in, and get the medals they deserve at the end of the season.

·
Pz
2,062 Posts
i think it is, i think we have had more talented centre backs before...for example I believe as an individual stam is better than vidic but as a pair rio and vidic are the best we have had. In the beggining rio was doing alot of vidic's work and was keeping him looking good but now vidic has stepped up to the point where even if rio is not playing, he is now good enough to marshall the back 4 himself like rio can. Rio is our best and most gifted centre defender and in vidic he has the perfect partner who is coming into his peak. Evra at left back is an amazing attacking fullback but is very strong to but because he is short i think having Brown on the other side goes real well because brown gets forward at every oppurtunity aswell but is better at the strenght and defending/covering part of his duties so i think it balances everything out well. Great back 4.

Does it need improvements?

VDS is getting on abit, looks a little shaky sometimes now but still produces some great saves and his height is an advantage so until we find someone his size who is just as good if not better he should continue between the sticks imo. Brown will always be seen as the weak link of our defense but unless we find someone who is as strong good defensively aswell as better going forward who will fit into united, i see no reason to change. Ofcourse if improvements are available i think fergie will try but thats never easy to find. I don't really know much about bosingwa to know if he actually is really good and i think brown is a good player.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Jazz 16 said:
him again soon.

Good stats but a little unrealistic don't you guys think? I mean each opposition is different. Like our main defence coped 2 goals vs Arsenal away but when Hargreaves and Pique and O'Shea played vs Bolton we got clean sheet. That suddenly does not mean that the defence against Bolton is better...if you guys get what I mean? It really depends on the opposition so a comparision would not be ideal amongst the different defences we put out BUT it is an intersting stat to see Jazz. IMO VDS; Brown---Rio---Vida---Evra is excellent and yeah for me the best ever defence. Okay I hear people saying maybe Stam was better then our current cb's individually but this is a team sport and this back 5 we have now is the best group I have ever seen play as a team and they are yet to concede a stupid goal (like kaka's double vs united last season at OT). I just can't imagine if Neville was fully fit :p

Oh and you know what would be even better? Could someone try to get the combination of defences with the different keepers we had because VDS did not play all games!

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
United Defence On Course For Club Record

Source: Goal.com

While Manchester United's prolific attack has earned plenty of plaudits this season, Sir Alex Ferguson's defence has been impressive too and should certainly not be overlooked as they chase double hounours.

The Manchester United defence is on course to achieve a club record in terms of fewest goals conceded in a Premier League campaign.

The Red Devils have so far conceded only 15 League goals - and just five of those have been let in at Old Trafford.

Neighbours Manchester City scored twice at Old Trafford, but the only other visiting teams to trouble the scoreboard have been Everton, Derby, and United's opponents at The Riverside this weekend, Middlesbrough.

That solid defensive platform has been as influential as their attacking exploits in putting United five points clear at the top of the Premier League.

However, Chelsea should retain their proud record, achieved in Jose Mourinho's first season at Stamford Bridge - 2004-05 - when they conceded just 15 goals throughout the campaign.

That broke Arsenal's previous Premier League record of conceding only 17 goals in a League campaign (1998-99).

United's previous best defensive vrecord was in season 1997-98, when they conceded 25 goals.

With six remaining games to go, the Red Devils look likely to better that performance, and that could be decisive in United retaining the Barclays Premiership title.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
The defence has been an integral part of our squad this season. Rio and Vida have played a lot of games together and their partnership has been excellent. Brown has not been terrific , but he made up with goal against dippers at OT on grandslam sunday. Evra has been fantastic. So many crosses and assists , he is great going forward.. Overall great performance and records reflect this.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
So again A game and without conceded any goal, its great...
Our Defence is Simpy Great!
Evra was great this season...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts