Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Ballon d'Or award is perhaps the most prestigious individual award a professional football player can aspire to receive and is usually announced towards the end of the calendar year in early December.

France Football magazine shortlist 50 players and then 96 sports writers from around the world vote on whom they think was the best player in the past year.

Here's what you need to do:
Each voter chooses five players and awards them between one and five points.
The winner is determined by the total number of points; players who finish second and third in the voting are awarded silver and bronze medals.

For Example:
Kaka - 5
Ronaldo - 4
Messi - 3
Ferdinand - 2
Cassilas - 1

Intersting Trvia bit:

Three players have managed to win the award three times, namely Johan Cruyff, Marco van Basten and Michel Platini, while five players have won twice. Johan Cruyff and Franz Beckenbauer hold the record of receiving votes from the jury for the longest consecutive number of years (12 years).

Wins by country:

7x Germany
7x Netherlands
6x France
5x Italy
5x England
4x Brazil

Wins by club:
8x Juventus
8x Milan
6x Barcelona
6x Madrid
5x Bayern Munich
3x Manchester United

Wins by league:

18x Italy
12x Spain
9x Germany
5x England

The history bit:
(from Wikipedia)

The "Ballon d'Or" (French for "Golden Ball," often referred to as the European Footballer of the Year award) is an association football award. Presented since 1956 by the French football magazine France Football, it is awarded to the player considered to have performed best over the previous year; the inaugural winner was Blackpool player Stanley Matthews. The current holder of the award, as selected in 2007, is Milan's Kaka.

Prior to 2007, the player had to be a member of a club based within UEFA's jurisdiction in order to qualify for selection; and until 1995 a player also had to be of European nationality to be eligible. The 2007 change in rules saw players from Qatar, the United States, Mexico, Brazil and Argentina named on the shortlist alongside those from European clubs.

The tally so far including post #36:

Ronaldo : 105
Messi : 64
Ferdinand : 46
Torres : 40
Casillas : 32
Villa: 7
Xavi : 6
Arshavin : 4
Fabregas: 3
Gerrard : 3
Tevez : 2
Cech : 2
van der Sar: 2
Del Piero : 1
Kaka : 1
Sneijder :1

Voted so far:
RedForceRising
Jazz 16
Blade
abojodeh
Nemnajaaa
Berbatov08
manutd004
sparkic
red devil jeff
Wazza1989
zoran_zlatanov
sean2689
Keano!
ejuventus
TheManc
piazza
Zense_United
Rahul
United_OG
trikam patel
tonnas
Red Warrior

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
RedForceRising said:
My votes:

Ronaldo - 5
Messi - 4
Ferdinand - 3
Casillas - 2
Torres - 1
Cant argue too much with that, although Id swap Rio for Casillas.
I actually think Messi is a more consistent player than Ronaldo, actually I think he
is the better player if Im being honest, but its definitely been Ronnie's year
and anyone else winning this award would be a travesty of justice.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^LMAO :D

I'll take that as a single 5 point vote for Ronadlo then.

The tally so far:

Ronaldo - 15
Messi - 8
Ferdinand - 5
Casillas - 5
Torres - 2

Z

·
0 Posts
Jazz 16 said:
Cant argue too much with that, although Id swap Rio for Casillas.
I actually think Messi is a more consistent player than Ronaldo, actually I think he
is the better player if Im being honest, but its definitely been Ronnie's year
and anyone else winning this award would be a travesty of justice.
Are you being serious? :confused: That's a ridiculous statement. Ronaldo scores goal almost every game, you can't be more consistent than that.

Mine:

Ronaldo -5

Rio - 4

Casillas - 3

Torres -2

Messi -1 (He was injured for much of the season and thus didn't play enough football to make the top three in my opinion.)

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Ronaldo - 5
Ferdinand - 4
Messi - 3
Torres - 2
I really don't know who to go for as 5th no one stands out so I'll just say Casillas :p

·
Thank you Sir Alex
5,528 Posts
Ronaldo- 5
Torres- 4
Casillas- 3
Rio- 2
Messi- 1

Messi for all his brilliance has been too inconsistent and has won nothing.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
A correction:

1. Juventus #9

Cannavaro won in 2006 for what he did with Juventus (best defender of Serie A and title) and Italy's World Cup, which was a continuation of that, beside his teammates Buffon and Zambrotta....... after the well-known facts, he moved to Real Madrid, where he had not a good start of season like all the team (bad defeat against Lyon and difficulties in the Liga).............. But the Ballon d'Or is always given for what a player does in the main tournaments, so in 2006 it was already decided in July......According to me, in 2006 it was a Juventus player to win

For this year:
1. Ronaldo
2. Messi
3. Casillas (Buffon is much better but the vote is for what happens in the year, not for general value of a player)
4. Gerrard
5. Del Piero

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
This year:

1. Ronaldo
2. Messi
3. Ferdinand
4. Cassilas
5. Torres

I think it will be Ronaldo, Messi then Cassilas though.

I think Messi is more talented than Ronaldo, but Ronaldo is more effective. Messi is very injury prone aswell.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Blade said:
Are you being serious? :confused: That's a ridiculous statement. Ronaldo scores goal almost every game, you can't be more consistent than that.
Im being very serious. Ronaldo is a consistent goalscorer for sure and deserves this award,
but Messi is consistent that he plays great most of the time,
where as Ronnie can blow hot and cold in some games.
He could have a shocker and still bag a goal or 2, but thats Ronaldo for ya.
Its not a criticism but I think Messi is the better player. (but not by much)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts