Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 169 Posts

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While every player in a team is important, I really do feel that the success of this season depends largely on Man Utd signing a tall, strong centre forward and on the continued improvement of Ben Foster, Nani and Anderson.

With the arrival of Dimitar Berbatov, the first of those conditions have been checked.
One down, three to go, as they say.

I'm sure that Nani and Anderson will both get loads of games, just as they did last season and that it will help them to (hopefully) improve by leaps and bounds.

However, I am less optimistic about Ben Foster and am worried that Ferguson won't give him the matches he needs unless there is some injury to Edwin van der Sar.

Now don't get me wrong, Sir Alex is the greatest football manager of all time and I know he knows what he's doing, but every now and again, I get the feeling that he tends to put favour cerain players while shutting others out and I would loathe for Ben Foster to be one of those players.

For the record, I am a HUGE Ben Foster fan and think he can be England's next number 1, but he needs the games to improve.

He was excellent at while on loan at Watford and it is a pity his career was halted by knee ligament injury.

I cast an envious look across Manchester to the blue side of town. Not because of their new owners, but because Joe Hart has been getting heaps of games there since last season and is now their number 1 choice and a regular starter.

At 21, he's 4 years younger than Ben and already playing regularly against Premier League opposition.

While Edwin van der Sar is still a class keeper, he started to show signs of decline last season. All of a sudden, he started punching balls straight to the opposition, at other times he mauled his defneders when coming out for balls and to my horror, found himself flapping at crosses too.

Later in the season his kicking became dodgy and contrary to what some might say, his reflexes aren't what they used to be.

We definitely need a keeper, who is capable of covering for Edwin and in my opinion even take over from Edwin and Ben Foster is the man to do that.

He has assured hands, good height, good leap, good reactions and good positioning - basically all the required attributes og a great keeper.

PIG is alright, but he has made some strange decisions and I suspect his concentrations is less than ideal.

In order for Foster to take over the mantle of United's custodian he will need those games.

Anyway, I hope Fergie gives him as many games as possible, even if VDS is not injured otherwise he might not be prepared, if he's called upon and the big games come rolling in thick and fast.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
RedForceRising said:
While Edwin van der Sar is still a class keeper, he started to show signs of decline last season. All of a sudden, he started punching balls straight to the opposition, at other times he mauled his defneders when coming out for balls and to my horror, found himself flapping at crosses too.
Trying to find errors with a magnifying glass?
Sure Ed is 38 and is starting to see the end of his career. Still, he have retired from International football and that'll give him a few extra years of top football if he can keep himself motivated.

Foster and Kuszczak both are great keepers but it feels like both are more of a back up keeper then a Champion keeper. This gives me shivers - Bosnich (brrrrrrrrrrr), Carroll and Howard-era.

A guy told me Tomasz Kuszczak is a better trained/schooled goalie then what Foster is. Foster has probably better potential but isnt doing the goalie ABC as good as Tomasz. To me its a bit mumbo jumbo to me so I cant really explain more concrete what he meant.

I also think the goalies should earn the play time and not being rotated since a goalies duties is not just to be a shot stopper but also to help and even run the back four. So a rotation in goal is a sign of weakness.

·
Proto-Hipster
46,959 Posts
RedForceRising said:
Even James who was the best goalie last season make more mistakes than Edwin

Foster will never break to the first team while Edwin is here
and Edwin is staying another year

so tell 2010 we are safe
then after Edwin Van Der Star retire :(
we should look up for a new goalie
Viva Ochao

·
Registered
310 Posts
I'm in total agreement with RedForceRising here. Edwin makes me nervous now.
Even in our first two games i dont think he's been good. He has been a great
servant but coming to the end of last season his form dipped. He was the hero in
the shoot out but if we're been honest he should have saved Cole and Lampards
penos as well. And i remember in one of the last games of the season last year
Fergie told the defence near the end of the game to stop passing the ball back to him because
his kickin was so bad. I don't wanna come on here and start slagging him off or
anything but i think Foster is a top top Keeper and would like to see him get a lot
of games this year.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
spellbound said:
Trying to find errors with a magnifying glass?
Sure Ed is 38 and is starting to see the end of his career. Still, he have retired from International football and that'll give him a few extra years of top football if he can keep himself motivated.

Foster and Kuszczak both are great keepers but it feels like both are more of a back up keeper then a Champion keeper. This gives me shivers - Bosnich (brrrrrrrrrrr), Carroll and Howard-era.

A guy told me Tomasz Kuszczak is a better trained/schooled goalie then what Foster is. Foster has probably better potential but isnt doing the goalie ABC as good as Tomasz. To me its a bit mumbo jumbo to me so I cant really explain more concrete what he meant.

I also think the goalies should earn the play time and not being rotated since a goalies duties is not just to be a shot stopper but also to help and even run the back four. So a rotation in goal is a sign of weakness.

Er...nope.

Do you see Cech, Buffon or Casillas making those errors? Hardly.

Cech commited an error like that in Euro 2008 and it was so glaring, because it was the usually Peter Cech who committed that error.

I saw a lot of Foster at Watford and maybe you say he feels like a back up keeper rather than a champion keeper, because he hasn't played often enough for United. I feel very comfortable when I watch him. Unlike Kuszczak, who makes me very uncomfortable and edgy every time I see him play.

If memory serves me correctly it was against Sporting in the Champions League when he conceded a long-range effort on his near post. I don't think that is doing the goalie ABCs well your friend was talking about.

There are other instances as well that just makes Kuszczak a third in the goalie stakes at OT.

I have a lot of hope for Ben Foster and actually think he can get close to the top class of goalies, which includes Cech, Casillas and Buffon. He might not equal him, but he can get close and that would make he a very, very good keeper. He just needs games.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
abojodeh said:
Even James who was the best goalie last season make more mistakes than Edwin

Foster will never break to the first team while Edwin is here
and Edwin is staying another year

so tell 2010 we are safe
then after Edwin Van Der Star retire :(
we should look up for a new goalie
Viva Ochao
Ochoa?

How about Ustari or Hugo Lloris?

If you peep haven't heard of him yet, check him out!

I saw him in the french ligue 1 last season and he's signed for lyon since. The man is outstanding! More impressive than Foster.

Back to your point - David James is A LOT MORE BUSY than van der Sar!!!!

If VDS was at Portmouth, I'm not sure he would make as many saves as David James, but by the same token, James has a concentration problem, so he might not do as well at Man Utd as he's doing at Portsmouth.

A Man Utd keeper needs to have a lot of concentration. He's usually not called upon often, but when he is, he needs to be reliable and I'm just saying what I and other have observed which is that Edwin has started to become less reliable. It's an issue of concern with me.

I think it's easier to see the decline of an outfield player than a goal keeper, but if you watch carefully it's there to see.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
RedForceRising said:
Er...nope.

Do you see Cech, Buffon or Casillas making those errors? Hardly.

Cech commited an error like that in Euro 2008 and it was so glaring, because it was the usually Peter Cech who committed that error.
Actually, ever since Cech got that head injury, his form has been a lot worse imo, and hes not the keeper he used to be. Its just because people seem to still admire him, look up to him and have something about him, and nobody highlights his errors like they do with Edwin that nobody truly see's his bad form imo.

But I think Foster needs games. I think hes got a slight injury atm, so he can't play yet.

But I, like you, am a massive fan of Foster. Hes a fantastic all-round keeper and I think will become one of the best in the World. He does need games, and I hope that when Edwin gets injured or maybe FA Cup games/Carling Cup and some CL games, he gets thoses games. And although Tomasz is a great back-up keeper, I don't think he should be anything more.

I think that Foster should get ALL the FA Cup and Carling Cup games if hes fit, and we can see how he goes from there.

I don't think Edwin should be dropped from the no 1 spot until he makes 2 or 3 glaring mistakes. (I'm not one for dropping a player after 1 mistake.)

However, I think this is, (or should be,) his last year, and after this year, Foster should be no 1 and Tomasz no 2. Thats certainly the way we need to go.

·
Proto-Hipster
46,959 Posts
RedForceRising said:
Ochoa?

How about Ustari or Hugo Lloris?
Lloris of Nice ?
hes very good but didn't he join Lyon

i think Ochoa is good maybe hes no better than Ustari or Lloris but hes cheaper and easier to get

Neuer is the best young goalie imo but i don't think we can get for a cheap price

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
abojodeh said:
Lloris of Nice ?
hes very good but didn't he join Lyon

i think Ochoa is good maybe hes no better than Ustari or Lloris but hes cheaper and easier to get

Neuer is the best young goalie imo but i don't think we can get for a cheap price
Tbh, this thread is about Ben Foster.

Buying another goalkeeper is only going to hamper Fosters chances of becoming our no 1 goalkeeper.

And tbh, Fosters the only goalkeeper I would want as our future no 1 atm.

·
Proto-Hipster
46,959 Posts
manutd004 said:
Tbh, this thread is about Ben Foster.

Buying another goalkeeper is only going to hamper Fosters chances of becoming our no 1 goalkeeper.

And tbh, Fosters the only goalkeeper I would want as our future no 1 atm.
i know that the thread about Foster
but i don't think hes that good to be our number 1 in the future
there is many better goalies there

Neuer is much better and more complete
great reflexes tall good handling good positioning and Saves many penalties

if we can sign 1 goalie for the future Neuer gets my votes

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
abojodeh said:
i know that the thread about Foster
but i don't think hes that good to be our number 1 in the future
there is many better goalies there

Neuer is much better and more complete
great reflexes tall good handling good positioning and Saves many penalties

if we can sign 1 goalie for the future Neuer gets my votes
I think Neuer is a fantastic goalkeeper, and if we are to sign one, I hope its him as well.

However, my personal opinion is that Foster will be a fantastic goalkeeper and should be our no 1.

I don't see what good signing another goalkeeper will do.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
I think you a being a bit harsh on Edwin and underestimating him.
You mention his kicking and punching and that he flaps and makes you
feel nervous??? but do any of these actually result in us conceding goals?
Not really I would say. People were moaning last season about his performances
against Barcelona saying he looked nervy and his kicking was shocking.
So bloody what. How many goals did he concede in 180 minutes against a
pretty scary Barca? A big fat 0, thats how many, and yet people are critical of him?

Oh please. He was a huge factor in us winning the CL and the 2 Prem's.
I hope he stays beyond this season as I think he still has what it takes.
Ok he is no Buffon or Cassilas but he is up there with Cech imo, who was touted
as THE best keeper, yet has made some shockers (Euro's especially).
For people to criticise Edwin is astonishing for me.

Sorry I know this thread is about Foster but I needed to say that.

As for Foster, I agree that he could become England's number 1. He is a great
keeper who has it all and we saw his heroics at Watford. He should have gone
back out on loan imo. We have Pig who is good cover for Edwin so having the 3
of them is a bit pointless and one of the 2 back ups will be upset at being left out.

Foster will make it one day but while we have Edwin he should be the number 1.
You cant buy his experience and class.

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
If I'm being honest I'm quite worried for Foster atm.

He clearly is very talented and a potential No.1 for United and England, but his injuries do concern me.

He picked up a major injury at the end of the 06/07 season, and I'm pretty sure he's had a similar injury before aswell earlier on in his career.
Now in the last few months he's had a few niggling finger/wrist injuries.

Also I'm concerned that he won't play enough this season. I have a feeling that Fergie will put PIG in as the No.2 as he is always fit and Fergie tends to be loyal to his players so he could take the view that PIG has waited for a chance for a long time.

3 Potential No.1's is too much IMO. We will need to establish who is the No.2 before we think about replacing VDS. Its no good letting Foster share his games in the LC and the FA Cup with PIG as he needs to start to build an understanding with the defence.

I hope Foster is given a chance as I see him as a quality Keeper. I remember Boothroyd saying he thinks Foster will go on to be the best in the world, while Seaman and Shilton have both said he's Englands best Keeper, so clearly he's rated very highly by people who know what they're talking about.

For what its worth Foster is currently playing in the Reserves.

Here's a quick vid on him:

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Jazz 16 said:
I think you a being a bit harsh on Edwin and underestimating him.
You mention his kicking and punching and that he flaps and makes you
feel nervous??? but do any of these actually result in us conceding goals?
Not really I would say. People were moaning last season about his performances
against Barcelona saying he looked nervy and his kicking was shocking.
So bloody what. How many goals did he concede in 180 minutes against a
pretty scary Barca? A big fat 0, thats how many, and yet people are critical of him?

Oh please. He was a huge factor in us winning the CL and the 2 Prem's.
I hope he stays beyond this season as I think he still has what it takes.
Ok he is no Buffon or Cassilas but he is up there with Cech imo, who was touted
as THE best keeper, yet has made some shockers (Euro's especially).
For people to criticise Edwin is astonishing for me.

Sorry I know this thread is about Foster but I needed to say that.
Hmmm....

against Chelsea in the CL final he was the shootout hero, but it was his impersonation of an ice-skating giraffe that allowed fat Frank to score another cheap goal.

I think VDS not conceding against Barcelona had more to do with some colossal performances on the pitch by the outfield players.

One of the greatest gifts a goalkeeper can give his team is waves of confidence from the back and I'm not so sure that has been the case since last season.

Look, I'm not saying he's a bad keeper. He's a good keeper. It's just that I've been witnessing his decline and I'd feel more comfortable if Foster were ready when the times comes and we need to rely on him.

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
Ben Foster really impressed me last year. However he's never going to improve sitting in the reserves. I think we should either loan him out or give him some games. Not big ones, but against relegation fodder and other low end of the table teams. He needs to develop or else we're going to just end up buying another keeper when VDS retires because Kuz cannot be a full timer.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
TheManc said:
If I'm being honest I'm quite worried for Foster atm.

He clearly is very talented and a potential No.1 for United and England, but his injuries do concern me.

He picked up a major injury at the end of the 06/07 season, and I'm pretty sure he's had a similar injury before aswell earlier on in his career.
Now in the last few months he's had a few niggling finger/wrist injuries.

Also I'm concerned that he won't play enough this season. I have a feeling that Fergie will put PIG in as the No.2 as he is always fit and Fergie tends to be loyal to his players so he could take the view that PIG has waited for a chance for a long time.

3 Potential No.1's is too much IMO. We will need to establish who is the No.2 before we think about replacing VDS. Its no good letting Foster share his games in the LC and the FA Cup with PIG as he needs to start to build an understanding with the defence.

I hope Foster is given a chance as I see him as a quality Keeper. I remember Boothroyd saying he thinks Foster will go on to be the best in the world, while Seaman and Shilton have both said he's Englands best Keeper, so clearly he's rated very highly by people who know what they're talking about.

For what its worth Foster is currently playing in the Reserves.

Here's a quick vid on him:

I share the same concerns.

Foster has more natural talent than PIG in my opinion, but you;re right that PIG has had less injury problems.

If that's the case, Fergie should send Foster out on loan to gain first team experience.

There are 6 games in Spetember. Liverpool, Villarreal and Chelsea are the tough ones.

The next three are against Boro in the league cup, Bolton in the prem and Aalborg in the CL.

If Fergie is not gonna give Foster some games, he might as well loan him out, even if it's just for a month.

I'm hoping though that he gets to play against Aalborg and Boro.

By the way, Bolton have a keeper with quite some potential in Al Habsi. Keep an eye on him.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
RedForceRising said:
Hmmm....

against Chelsea in the CL final he was the shootout hero, but it was his impersonation of an ice-skating giraffe that allowed fat Frank to score another cheap goal.

I think VDS not conceding against Barcelona had more to do with some colossal performances on the pitch by the outfield players.

One of the greatest gifts a goalkeeper can give his team is waves of confidence from the back and I'm not so sure that has been the case since last season.

Look, I'm not saying he's a bad keeper. He's a good keeper. It's just that I've been witnessing his decline and I'd feel more comfortable if Foster were ready when the times comes and we need to rely on him.
lol at the 'impersonation of an ice-skating giraffe' :D

It was abit of a freak goal tbh that took a couple of deflections. VDS cant
really be blamed for that. He ended up being he hero that day so we should be
grateful rather than critical.

I agree that against Barca our defenders were colossal but Vds still played his
part and not many teams can boast that they kept Barca out for 180 minutes.

I believe he gives the players lots of confidence. The defenders play better just
knowing he is there behind them. He hasnt done much to suggest otherwise.

Foster should be ready, its his job to be ready. Thats why he is training everyday
with the coaches and the other keepers. He will get his chance eventually,
but for now Edwin should remain number 1 cos he is the better keeper,
simple as that.

Foster will get a few games in the cups and when/if Vds needs a rest or is injured.

Are you saying you would rather have Foster as our number 1 now?

For me Id rather VDS was number 1 this season and next season and then Foster
can have his chance.

1 - 20 of 169 Posts