Manchester United Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
I think you a being a bit harsh on Edwin and underestimating him.
You mention his kicking and punching and that he flaps and makes you
feel nervous??? but do any of these actually result in us conceding goals?
Not really I would say. People were moaning last season about his performances
against Barcelona saying he looked nervy and his kicking was shocking.
So bloody what. How many goals did he concede in 180 minutes against a
pretty scary Barca? A big fat 0, thats how many, and yet people are critical of him?

Oh please. He was a huge factor in us winning the CL and the 2 Prem's.
I hope he stays beyond this season as I think he still has what it takes.
Ok he is no Buffon or Cassilas but he is up there with Cech imo, who was touted
as THE best keeper, yet has made some shockers (Euro's especially).
For people to criticise Edwin is astonishing for me.

Sorry I know this thread is about Foster but I needed to say that.

As for Foster, I agree that he could become England's number 1. He is a great
keeper who has it all and we saw his heroics at Watford. He should have gone
back out on loan imo. We have Pig who is good cover for Edwin so having the 3
of them is a bit pointless and one of the 2 back ups will be upset at being left out.

Foster will make it one day but while we have Edwin he should be the number 1.
You cant buy his experience and class.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
RedForceRising said:
Hmmm....

against Chelsea in the CL final he was the shootout hero, but it was his impersonation of an ice-skating giraffe that allowed fat Frank to score another cheap goal.

I think VDS not conceding against Barcelona had more to do with some colossal performances on the pitch by the outfield players.

One of the greatest gifts a goalkeeper can give his team is waves of confidence from the back and I'm not so sure that has been the case since last season.

Look, I'm not saying he's a bad keeper. He's a good keeper. It's just that I've been witnessing his decline and I'd feel more comfortable if Foster were ready when the times comes and we need to rely on him.
lol at the 'impersonation of an ice-skating giraffe' :D

It was abit of a freak goal tbh that took a couple of deflections. VDS cant
really be blamed for that. He ended up being he hero that day so we should be
grateful rather than critical.

I agree that against Barca our defenders were colossal but Vds still played his
part and not many teams can boast that they kept Barca out for 180 minutes.

I believe he gives the players lots of confidence. The defenders play better just
knowing he is there behind them. He hasnt done much to suggest otherwise.

Foster should be ready, its his job to be ready. Thats why he is training everyday
with the coaches and the other keepers. He will get his chance eventually,
but for now Edwin should remain number 1 cos he is the better keeper,
simple as that.

Foster will get a few games in the cups and when/if Vds needs a rest or is injured.

Are you saying you would rather have Foster as our number 1 now?

For me Id rather VDS was number 1 this season and next season and then Foster
can have his chance.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
RedForceRising said:
My my Jazzy ..... were you trying to draw out a controversial statement from me?

lol maybe I was and maybe I wasnt. Just trying to beef up this discussion a bit with some random comments ;)
you, naughty boy, you! *cracks whip*
ouch
Well not exactly saying THAT, I'd go as far as to say, Id like to see him play half the games in September and hopefully give Fergie some selection headaches.
so your not totally sure it seems? Continuity is very
important in football, especially in that position. You cant just rotate
keepers like that. It just doesnt work like that. The back 5 are a solid unit
and shouldnt be tampered with too much, especially if its just to
'get him ready'

You can;t be serious about the "it;s his job to bead" line.
You cant be serious with that line? what are you trying to say?
After I wrote it, I thought it looked silly but Im too hungover to have
changed it or really care too much.
:p
OK, let's not play Rafael or Fabio at all until we really need them when (touch wood) one of starters gets injured. It shouldn;t be a problem, because they are supposed to be ready.
The lads will get their chance in the cups and if we have injuries/suspensions
and also when we are winning games well. We wont throw them in ahead of
Wes or Evra just yet, the same way that we wont throw Foster in ahead of vds.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Mistakes happen to every keeper. Admittedly Edwin had a very poor game but
when a keeper has a poor game they get punished big time.
He has been through it all before and will come back stronger and more
determind. Just cos he had a shocker doesnt mean he is any less of a keeper.
Edwin number 1.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Edwin did make some decent saves, your right.
When he dropped the corner in the first half and Kuyt had the shot, he made
an incredible save, but people only think of the dropped ball.
He made amends and it came to nothing yet people just think of the negative.
The og off Brown was his fault but it was kind of unlucky tbh, the fact that Wes
was just there and that it his his knee.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Great idea Harry. Foster should move in January on loan for the rest of the season.
He will be well tested at Spurs and come back back as our numbr 1 when Edwin retires.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
He had a bad game but he is still United quality imo. Every keeper has bad games
even he likes of VDS, Cech and Cassilas do, so its no major big deal.
It was his first game in the CL for United and it was at Parkhead, which was
an intimadating place to start. Its funny cos the only time Foster has played at OT
is for England lol. The experience will do him good ad he will get his chance again, Im sure of it.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
I used to ballboy the reserves and Ben Foster is not only a quality goalkeeper but a quality person. hes gone from being a cook in shabby restaurants to the glitz of lifting a trophy at Wembley. Hes a real role model to young players and kids. it just goes to show that if you really put your mind to it and heeart into something you can succeed. I truly feel that Ben Foster can become a United legend. He has it all. i Just hope we dont go and buy some foreigner to take his place. Cos this lad has huge potential
:thumbsup: Thats great to hear. Foster has certainly come a long way. Fair play to him, its well deserved.

article from manutd.com

01/03/2009 19:09, Report by Steve Bartram
Foster thanks Sir Alex

Goalkeeper Ben Foster was thankful to Sir Alex Ferguson for giving him the chance to become United's Wembley hero.

The England international, making just his seventh club appearance, made a vital save from Tottenham's Aaron Lennon in normal time before saving Jamie O'Hara's effort in the trophy-clinching penalty shootout.

"The Gaffer's been very brave today," Foster told MUTV. "He could've just put the usuals in and it could have been a bit easier for us, but he's kept faith with the young lads all the way through.

"I thought it went well considering I haven't played many games this season. I always go out there and try to be confident with the things I feel I'm best at. I've got to say a massive thanks to him and thankfully we've won the trophy for him as well."

Foster was in modest mood after his role in the Reds' shootout triumph, preferring to salute the unwavering nerve of Messrs Giggs, Tevez, Ronaldo and Anderson, who all successfully converted their kicks in a 4-1 win.

"As a goalkeeper there's not too much pressure, to be honest with you," he said. "You've got to stand there and hopefully guess the right way, so it's win-win really.

"The pressure's on the lads out there. Our lads were fantastic with their penalties, they put them away with conviction and never looked like missing them."

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.