Manchester United Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
RedForceRising said:
While Edwin van der Sar is still a class keeper, he started to show signs of decline last season. All of a sudden, he started punching balls straight to the opposition, at other times he mauled his defneders when coming out for balls and to my horror, found himself flapping at crosses too.
Trying to find errors with a magnifying glass?
Sure Ed is 38 and is starting to see the end of his career. Still, he have retired from International football and that'll give him a few extra years of top football if he can keep himself motivated.

Foster and Kuszczak both are great keepers but it feels like both are more of a back up keeper then a Champion keeper. This gives me shivers - Bosnich (brrrrrrrrrrr), Carroll and Howard-era.

A guy told me Tomasz Kuszczak is a better trained/schooled goalie then what Foster is. Foster has probably better potential but isnt doing the goalie ABC as good as Tomasz. To me its a bit mumbo jumbo to me so I cant really explain more concrete what he meant.

I also think the goalies should earn the play time and not being rotated since a goalies duties is not just to be a shot stopper but also to help and even run the back four. So a rotation in goal is a sign of weakness.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Edwin van der Sar may postpone retirement and play on for Manchester United

Edwin van der Sar has hinted he may postpone his retirement and sign for another year at Manchester United.

Van der Sar, 37, had planned to hang up his gloves when his current deal expires at the end of this season. However the Dutchman is now prepared to reconsider his future, which is welcome news for Sir Alex Ferguson who wants him to carry on.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/2008/10/17/edwin-van-der-sar-may-postpone-retirement-and-play-on-for-manchester-united-115875-20812286/

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
manutd004 said:
^^^^^^^ :rolleyes:

If this does indeed happen, I'm afraid its the wrong move imho.
well as it ended up it appears to be at wrong thread...but I was going to write a comment about Foster but I deleted that part...:)

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Foster ponders loan switch

BEN Foster admits he might have to go out on loan to prove to Sir Alex Ferguson that he is ready to be United's number one.

The highly-rated goalkeeper also believes a temporary Old Trafford exit could help him force his way into Fabio Capello's England squad.

Foster's Old Trafford career has stalled over the last 18 months because of knee and ankle ligament injuries. He is behind Edwin van der Sar and Tomasz Kuszczak in the United pecking order, despite having already won one international cap.

And after two successful loan spells at Watford, he believes he may have to leave United again to progress his career.

"I want to be playing football, that's the main thing for me," he said. "As a goalkeeper at my age now, that's when I need to be kicking on.

"I need to get more games under my belt.

"The two years at Watford were fantastic for me to be able to play week in, week out and be number one.

"I'm not sure what the gaffer is thinking. If he wants to send me out on loan, it's up to him, but I want to kick on here."

Sir Alex Ferguson has no intention of letting Foster leave on a permanent basis, as he rates the stopper highly.

He is convinced the £1m signing from Stoke has the potential to be at United for the next ten years - but he may be tempted to let the 25-year-old further his development elsewhere this season.

There would be no shortage of takers for Foster, with Nottingham Forest likely to be at the head of the queue after failing to land him earlier this year.

But United may prefer to loan him to another Premier League club to enhance his top flight experience.
http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/manchester_united/s/1075496_foster_ponders_loan_switch

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Harry Redknapp wants Ben Foster to replace Heurelho Gomes at Spurs

Harry Redknapp wants Manchester United's Ben Foster - after deciding to dump blunder keeper Heurelho Gomes after just one game.

Tottenham boss Redknapp is a big admirer of England keeper Foster who is third choice at Old Trafford and rated as one of the best home-grown prospects in the country.

Redknapp is desperate to shore up his defence with a solid keeper and does not fancy £7m keeper Gomes after his recent poor displays, including Sunday's win over Bolton which left the new Spurs manager with major doubts.

Redknapp will have to persevere with Gomes - only signed in the summer from PSV Eindhoven - until the January transfer window but has already turned against him and reserve Cesar Sanchez also lacks experience.

Spurs tried to get Foster last summer and chairman Daniel Levy also rates him highly and the club have kept tabs on his progress.

Foster is highly rated by United boss Sir Alex Ferguson who is reluctant to let him go even though he is currently behind Edwin van der Sar and Tomasz Kuszczak in the pecking order.

But Foster needs to be playing games and there is a possibility that United would consider a loan deal to Spurs in January as they are not in direct competition in the Premier League.

Foster would like to establish himself at United but his career is reaching the crossroads and he may need to move permanently next summer if Fergie does not give him his big chance next season.

Redknapp has been heavily linked with David James but may have trouble luring him away from Portsmouth but fancies an English keeper and Foster fits the bill.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/2008/10/29/harry-redknapp-wants-ben-foster-to-replace-heurelho-gomes-at-spurs-115875-20848996/

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
United keeper Foster handed rare chance after Van der Sar misses Celtic showdown

Ben Foster seems certain to make his Champions League debut for Manchester United tomorrow night after Edwin van der Sar was rested for the trip to Celtic.
Sir Alex Ferguson has promised both Foster and Tomasz Kuszczak they will be given chances to impress this season and the England international is the likely beneficiary of Van der Sar's absence.

Remarkably, it would only be Foster's second senior appearance for United even though he has been at Old Trafford for over three years.
The first two seasons were spent on loan at Watford and then last term, when he was expected to challenge Van der Sar for a first-team berth, he was ruled out following cruciate ligament surgery.
Foster did make his United debut in March, keeping a clean sheet in a narrow win at Derby, but because he was not registered for the Champions League, Sir Alex Ferguson decided to place his faith in Kuszczak.
The United boss has previously stated his belief that Foster is England's number one goalkeeper and amazingly, his only appearance at Old Trafford came for his country when he won his first - and so far only - cap against Spain in February 2007.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1083070/United-keeper-Foster-handed-rare-chance-Van-der-Sar-misses-Celtic-showdown.html

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
UNITED LAUNCH £40k FOSTER TALKS

Fergie wants new deal after keeper linked with Spurs

MANCHESTER UNITED plan to bring forward contract talks with Ben Foster.

Their decision follows the keeper being linked with a move to Tottenham.

Foster made another good impression when he started against Celtic in the Champions League in midweek.

And boss Sir Alex Ferguson, convinced he will eventually become United and England No. 1, now wants him secured on a long-term deal.

It means a new £40,000-a-week contract to keep Foster until 2012 will be put to the player during the next few weeks.

Meanwhile, Ferguson has been alerted that long-term United target Karim Benzema will be up for grabs next summer.

Lyon have finally accepted they cannot hang on to the talented striker and will accept bids of up to £20million. Barcelona and Real Madrid will also be interested.

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/65082/UNITED-LAUNCH-pound40k-FOSTER-TALKS.html

1 - 7 of 7 Posts