Manchester United Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
RedForceRising said:
Er...nope.

Do you see Cech, Buffon or Casillas making those errors? Hardly.

Cech commited an error like that in Euro 2008 and it was so glaring, because it was the usually Peter Cech who committed that error.
Actually, ever since Cech got that head injury, his form has been a lot worse imo, and hes not the keeper he used to be. Its just because people seem to still admire him, look up to him and have something about him, and nobody highlights his errors like they do with Edwin that nobody truly see's his bad form imo.

But I think Foster needs games. I think hes got a slight injury atm, so he can't play yet.

But I, like you, am a massive fan of Foster. Hes a fantastic all-round keeper and I think will become one of the best in the World. He does need games, and I hope that when Edwin gets injured or maybe FA Cup games/Carling Cup and some CL games, he gets thoses games. And although Tomasz is a great back-up keeper, I don't think he should be anything more.

I think that Foster should get ALL the FA Cup and Carling Cup games if hes fit, and we can see how he goes from there.

I don't think Edwin should be dropped from the no 1 spot until he makes 2 or 3 glaring mistakes. (I'm not one for dropping a player after 1 mistake.)

However, I think this is, (or should be,) his last year, and after this year, Foster should be no 1 and Tomasz no 2. Thats certainly the way we need to go.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
abojodeh said:
Lloris of Nice ?
hes very good but didn't he join Lyon

i think Ochoa is good maybe hes no better than Ustari or Lloris but hes cheaper and easier to get

Neuer is the best young goalie imo but i don't think we can get for a cheap price
Tbh, this thread is about Ben Foster.

Buying another goalkeeper is only going to hamper Fosters chances of becoming our no 1 goalkeeper.

And tbh, Fosters the only goalkeeper I would want as our future no 1 atm.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
abojodeh said:
i know that the thread about Foster
but i don't think hes that good to be our number 1 in the future
there is many better goalies there

Neuer is much better and more complete
great reflexes tall good handling good positioning and Saves many penalties

if we can sign 1 goalie for the future Neuer gets my votes
I think Neuer is a fantastic goalkeeper, and if we are to sign one, I hope its him as well.

However, my personal opinion is that Foster will be a fantastic goalkeeper and should be our no 1.

I don't see what good signing another goalkeeper will do.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
In the end, it doesn't really matter if VDS is declining or getting better, hes still 38.

Of course, goalkeepers can go on until their 40. However, I don't see the point in sticking with a 38 year old goalkeeper for anymore than 1 year, when we have a young, potentially world class goalkeeper waiting to take over.

I don't see the point in signing another goalkeeper when we can save £5-£10m+ because we have a quality keeper on the bench.

If he gets a good, long chance and doesn't grab it, then fair enough, we can sign someone else.

But he won't prove anything without a chance, at some point between now and in 2 years at the most we have got to make the transition between VDS to Foster.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
manutd004 said:
I don't think Edwin should be dropped from the no 1 spot until he makes 2 or 3 glaring mistakes. (I'm not one for dropping a player after 1 mistake.)

However, I think this is, (or should be,) his last year, and after this year, Foster should be no 1 and Tomasz no 2. Thats certainly the way we need to go.
This is what I originally said.

But I do think Van Der Sar should be dropped after today. He has been shaky ever since he broke his nose against Tottenham, and he has cost us 2 goals this season already, which could have been 3 today.

And Foster should now be given his chance imho.

Even if Foster isn't fit enough, I would play Tomasz. No matter what you think of him, hes still part of the squad and deserves his chance if, as I think, we need to make a change.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Jazz 16 said:
Edwin did make some decent saves, your right.
When he dropped the corner in the first half and Kuyt had the shot, he made
an incredible save, but people only think of the dropped ball.
He made amends and it came to nothing yet people just think of the negative.
The og off Brown was his fault but it was kind of unlucky tbh, the fact that Wes
was just there and that it his his knee.
But the thing is, if he had caught it the first time, he wouldn't have to make amends. It should have been a simple goalkeeping catch.

Its alright saying hes only had one bad game. But it isn't.

Hes been shaky since he broke his nose at Tottenham, and he seems to be deteriorating as time goes on.

And is everyone also forgetting his mistake against Newcastle, and what should have been an easy catch resulted in a punch, a very poor one at that, which Newcastle then won the corner, from which they scored?

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
I hope this is just a little setback and hes not going to be one of those players who is a fantastic talent hampered by injuries. Saha for example.

I didn't see the incident that injured him, but I guess, on the positive side, if there is one, it isn't his knee.

I really thought he should have replaced VDS, even if it was for one game, but his injuries scuppered that idea.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
abojodeh said:
i think Foster is decent and not United no. 1 quality
No.

Hes fantastic and is United quality.

But it depends how he gets on with injuries, and whether Sir Alex actually has the faith in him to give him a shot.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
abojodeh said:
1.he got two serious injuries (1 while playing tennis lol) and this may affect his form
2.i feel that Fergie have more faith in Kuszczak than Foster (remember versus Bolton he picked Kus, instead)

i really hope that Foster is good as you say cuz this will save us allot of money instead of buying a new goalie

btw have anybody seen Lloris performance in the last ucl match with Lyon
IMMSENSE :eek:
We'll just agree to disagree about Foster abo ;)

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
This is good news about Foster.

Now, hopefully he can stay fit. As I have said many times, he could be Man Utd and England no 1 for years to come. However, if he can't maintain his fitness we need to look elsewhere. Tomasz is a decent keeper, and is a good enough and reliable enough to have as a no 2, or back-up keeper. However, I don't think hes a good enough all-round goalkeeper to have as long-term no 1.

However, I think Sir Alex may end up deciding that Tomasz is the better option out of the two.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
RedForceRising said:
Edwin has been a good pro and deserves to retire in peace ........ THIS SUMMER! ;)
I wouldn't be that harsh.

If he wants to keep playing, I would let him.......

somewhere else! ;)

This should be his last year at Man Utd. He has been a great goalkeeper for us, and he should get a lot of credit for his previously high level of performance. He's solved the Schmeichel replacement worries, and he has certainly been an important part of our success.

However, his form is deteriorating, he has been shaky for a while now, making quite a few mistakes and he isn't getting any younger. We all know that Man Utd need a steady, reliable keeper and Edwin is not that person anymore. His form has picked up slightly again, but I have my doubts that he'll be able to keep that up for a sustained period of time.

Keeping Edwin beyond the summer is not a good move and if we keep him here as our no 1 goalkeeper, he will only halt the progress of Foster (or Kuzszcak if Sir Alex decides that he is the right keeper for us.) Foster or Tomasz, although it should be Foster, should be playing in cup games and some CL games to progress and get ready to replace Edwin next summer.

And, if Edwins form dips again this season, Foster should take his place.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
I'd prefer Foster to stay and play instead of VDS when he takes his next dip in form. But I don't think Fergie will drop VDS, and even if he needs to play another keeper, Tomasz will get the nod.

Saying that though, I don't see what we or Foster would acheive by going on loan to the Championship. It would be a backward step in his development, no offence to the Championship.

If he was to go on loan, we should try to make sure that he goes to a Premiership team at the very least, preferably the highest challenging team possible.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
I wouldn't look too much into this.

Its just that he would consider going to Tottenham if he couldn't or knew that he wouldn't get the chance here.

But I think he will.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Fergie - Keepers going nowhere
Kuszczak and Foster staying at Old Trafford

Sir Alex Ferguson has insisted there is no chance of either Tomasz Kuszczak or Ben Foster being sent out on loan.

Edwin van der Sar is Ferguson's first choice goalkeeper and Kuszczak has been providing the regular back-up this season.

Foster is now fit again following an ankle injury and there have been suggestions that Ferguson would allow one of the two players to move away from Manchester United on a temporary basis.

New Tottenham boss Harry Redknapp has been heavily linked with Foster but Ferguson has no intention of letting him go.

"There is absolutely no chance of Ben Foster or Tomasz Kuszczak going out on loan," said Ferguson.

"We have Tom Heaton on loan at Cardiff at the moment and that is plenty."

Experience

38-year-old Van der Sar was rested for the 2-0 victory over West Ham on Wednesday and Ferguson believes it is important forFoster and Kuszczak to be given the occasional opportunity.

He explained: "We left him (Van der Sar) out against West Ham because we are managing him to keep the freshness in him.

"But it is also very important that we give experience to Tomasz and Foster. I will be rotating them as the season goes on.

"We need to give them experience but also show we regard them very highly. They are the future."

This is good news. Foster should be No 1 when VDS retires, and could be a fantastic goalkeeper. Even though I don't think Kuzczsak is a good enough all-round goalkeeper to be our No 1, hes a reliable enough and good enough goalkeeper to be our No 2.

However, I'm not too keen on this. Fair enough, giving Kuzczsak and Foster a chance in Carling/FA Cup and the odd Champions League games is fine, or when VDS is injured, since he seems to be our No 1. Thats a good idea. But rotation? :confused:

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Foster certainly has the ability to make it here imo..

However, that was a terrible decision to play him against Celtic. He was injured for most of last season, and was injured early this season, has only ever played one competitive game for us before last night and never played in the Champions League before.

Playing him in a game of that importance, and an atmosphere that daunting for his first CL game and first game of the season was stupid. His kicking was top class, but he was positioned terribly for the goal (McDonald does deserve credit for it though.) However, if he was fully match fit and had more games, his performance certainly would have been better.

I don't think we should judge him on that performance, and hopefully he'll get more games. I'd like to see him in goal against QPR and/or Stoke at Old Trafford on the 15th so that he can get the games he needs.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
haggler said:
foster is not injured at the moment but he is unfortunately after kirkland the most injury prone keeper i have seen . my thoughts are as they have been all along -- get the book out and buy shay given -- we think nowt of splashing 30 mill on a striker so why blanche at 8 or so for a player who could turn just as many games in our favour ?
I have to agree with you there.

I wouldn't be scared in paying a lot for a keeper. After all, goalkeepers can save you 10-15 points a season, as we have seen at first hand in the Great Dane.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Yeah, Foster was great today.

He had an early rush to the head when he came out against Lennon and Ferdinand had to clear it. But apart from that, he was great. He didn't have much to do, but when he was called upon he did what was needed which is vitally important for a keeper at United.

Before the shoot-out, I also said that I fancied him to save one and he did.

I'm so pleased for him. I've always admired him as a keeper, but unfortunately he has been very, very unlucky. He looked like he was getting his sharpness back, and I think we should give him more games as the season is ending (I would consider playing him in most Prem games after we win the title, if we are able to win it early) and get set for him to challenge VDS for the no 1 spot next season.

Hopefully, his luck has now turned and he avoids the injuries.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.