Manchester United Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
If I'm being honest I'm quite worried for Foster atm.

He clearly is very talented and a potential No.1 for United and England, but his injuries do concern me.

He picked up a major injury at the end of the 06/07 season, and I'm pretty sure he's had a similar injury before aswell earlier on in his career.
Now in the last few months he's had a few niggling finger/wrist injuries.

Also I'm concerned that he won't play enough this season. I have a feeling that Fergie will put PIG in as the No.2 as he is always fit and Fergie tends to be loyal to his players so he could take the view that PIG has waited for a chance for a long time.

3 Potential No.1's is too much IMO. We will need to establish who is the No.2 before we think about replacing VDS. Its no good letting Foster share his games in the LC and the FA Cup with PIG as he needs to start to build an understanding with the defence.

I hope Foster is given a chance as I see him as a quality Keeper. I remember Boothroyd saying he thinks Foster will go on to be the best in the world, while Seaman and Shilton have both said he's Englands best Keeper, so clearly he's rated very highly by people who know what they're talking about.

For what its worth Foster is currently playing in the Reserves.

Here's a quick vid on him:

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
Jazz 16 said:
Mistakes happen to every keeper. Admittedly Edwin had a very poor game but
when a keeper has a poor game they get punished big time.
He has been through it all before and will come back stronger and more
determind. Just cos he had a shocker doesnt mean he is any less of a keeper.
Edwin number 1.
Agreed. After all VDS has done for us he deserves a little loyalty IMO. Yes he's had a poor start to this season, but he will come good in the end.

Although he played badly yesterday he still managed a couple of brilliant saves, which it seems people have chosen to forget.

If and only If VDS has bad games vs Villareal and Chelski then I will start to think about the 'situation'. Right now my head is 100% behind VDS.

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
versa said:
Let's be perfectly honest and say it as we see it.

In the second half of last season, VDS started making some unexpected blunders and some here in the forum, including myself, did raise a little red flag of concern. Some downhill signs started appearing apparently. Nonetheless, he still had a credible performance for the entire campaign, capped with some penalty heroics. Well and fine.

In this brand new season, yesterday's blunder is the second time after the Super Cup final when he totally misjudged the flight of corner and came off his line when he should not have had. So for the records, it is now 2 blunders out of 4 games and unfortunately both were big games, one a cup final and the other one against our arch rivals, in which every point from our games with the contenders counts heavily in the title race.

Now don't get me wrong. This is not a VDS bashing session or a witch hunting going on. We are all aware of he has done for us all these years and what he is as a keeper. However, at this level, such blunders can't and should not have been made by a world class keeper as VDS, and as we all well aware, the consequences can be dire. Furthermore, we can't deny that there must be some downhill signs creeping up. So there is nothing wrong with fans being concerned at all but something very wrong if fans remain unconcerned.

Having said all these, VDS would most likely remain the keeper for us atm, for despite whatever promise Ben Foster shows, I do also wonder if he is indeed ready to take over as no. 1 due to lack of games under his belt and the lesser experience.

But just don't talk about loyalty here as it is irrelevant. As much as loyalty is an understated value, so do past reputation and pre-conceived ideas of a player an overstated perception. Calling a spade a spade would suffice.
First off, I agree last season he could be dodgy at times, but he was also exceptional aswell. Remember Sporting away? Or Roma away?

But regarding the loyalty thing. Above all else I regard loyalty as the most important. VDS is in poor form, but I don't think people should be questioning his place just yet.

Last season Giggs went through a patch of about 20 really, really poor games but people were calling for him to be dropped after a few games while I stood up for him, looking back they were probably right as last season was the worst I've seen from him for a long time.
But then the same thing happened with Carrick and I said no lets stick with him, and he eventually did come good in the end.

So what I'm saying is lets give him more time. He's had 2 bad games this season (out of 4 obviously) so thats not enough to make a big judgement.

I realise that the GK postion is different to the others as errosrs are more costly, but lets give him another few games before we start calling him to be dropped.

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
RedForceRising said:
But his bad games started last season already. In a few more games he could us even more points. It's his job to do the routine things and make saves.

I don't understand those that say, oh but he made some saves after that, so let's forget that he can't catch and comes out for balls that he can't get.
Yes last season he made mistakes, but he also made some fantastic saves aswell, the type of saves that only the best can make.

RedForceRising said:
Oh dear....

It's a goalkeepers job to save the damn ball. It's not hig job to drop it. ..

PLus he was already lying on the floor and bare had raise his hand to make the save. A few inches higher and it would have been a goal.

This i not a one-off it's been happening since last season?

When will it be too many mistakes?

If he does it in another two matches? If he makes big blunders in a nother three matches? four matches? five matches?

He's been making mistakes since last season. On a more regular basis than Cech, Buffon, Casillas...
His mistakes also don't instill confidence do they?
I disagree there. Czech has looked very dodgy recently from crosses and Cassillas is always making mistakes. Positionally he is terrible, although in his case he has the ability to cover them all with his incredible shot stopping.

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
Plus I've just remembered that it was only a few months ago where there was a thread talking about how good VDS is, and most people said he was world class, some even said he is the best in the world!

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
Good news. I'm beginning to get a bit worried about Foster. He seems to be going the Kirkland route - showing loads of early promise, tipped to be Englands No.1, falls victim to loads of injuries, never quite the same ect.

For me he's the only one who can replace VDS. I have a heart attack every time the ball is anywhere near PIG so for me its either Foster or else we'll have to buy one.

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
I think I have to agree now with this. At first I thought he should be given more time, but today was the last straw.

I think it is time that Foster was given a chance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.