11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Jazz 16 said:
lol at the 'impersonation of an ice-skating giraffe' :D

It was abit of a freak goal tbh that took a couple of deflections. VDS cant
really be blamed for that. He ended up being he hero that day so we should be
grateful rather than critical.

I agree that against Barca our defenders were colossal but Vds still played his
part and not many teams can boast that they kept Barca out for 180 minutes.

I believe he gives the players lots of confidence. The defenders play better just
knowing he is there behind them. He hasnt done much to suggest otherwise.

Foster should be ready, its his job to be ready. Thats why he is training everyday
with the coaches and the other keepers. He will get his chance eventually,
but for now Edwin should remain number 1 cos he is the better keeper,
simple as that.

Foster will get a few games in the cups and when/if Vds needs a rest or is injured.

Are you saying you would rather have Foster as our number 1 now?

For me Id rather VDS was number 1 this season and next season and then Foster
can have his chance.
My my Jazzy ..... were you trying to draw out a controversial statement from me?

you, naughty boy, you! *cracks whip*

Well not exactly saying THAT, I'd go as far as to say, Id like to see him play half the games in September and hopefully give Fergie some selection headaches.

You can;t be serious about the "it;s his job to bead" line.

OK, let's not play Rafael or Fabio at all until we really need them when (touch wood) one of starters gets injured. It shouldn;t be a problem, because they are supposed to be ready.

It oesn't work that way. Nothing beats match experience. Anyway, he can do the job, it's just getting used to the defenders infront of him and handling big game pressure.

·
Proto-Hipster
46,961 Posts
RedForceRising said:
Yeah? So was Philipp Lahm against Portugal at Euro 2008 and WTF did he do in that game?
when i said that he was the man of the match, i didn't mean that he was super great
Edwin performance versus chelski was good and he was fantastic versus bercelona
and i don't blame his for being nervous from barcelona
who won't be afraid of the super paced forwards that barca got
(Messi-Eto'o-Henry)

btw Lampard goal ain't VDS's mistake
firstly its Rio-Brown mistake

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
abojodeh said:
when i said that he was the man of the match, i didn't mean that he was super great
Edwin performance versus chelski was good and he was fantastic versus bercelona
and i don't blame his for being nervous from barcelona
who won't be afraid of the super paced forwards that barca got
(Messi-Eto'o-Henry)

btw Lampard goal ain't VDS's mistake
firstly its Rio-Brown mistake

If VDS had not shuffled his feet and fallen on his ass, it would have been a very routine catch.

Besides the CL matches, there were other instances of VDS flapping at crosses, miskicking and mauling defenders when he came out for crosses.

I'm just saying what's there to be seen. It is in our best interest to make sure we have adequate cover for a goalkeeper who is approaching his 38th birthday.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
RedForceRising said:
My my Jazzy ..... were you trying to draw out a controversial statement from me?

lol maybe I was and maybe I wasnt. Just trying to beef up this discussion a bit with some random comments ;)
you, naughty boy, you! *cracks whip*
ouch
Well not exactly saying THAT, I'd go as far as to say, Id like to see him play half the games in September and hopefully give Fergie some selection headaches.
so your not totally sure it seems? Continuity is very
important in football, especially in that position. You cant just rotate
keepers like that. It just doesnt work like that. The back 5 are a solid unit
and shouldnt be tampered with too much, especially if its just to
'get him ready'

You can;t be serious about the "it;s his job to bead" line.
You cant be serious with that line? what are you trying to say?
After I wrote it, I thought it looked silly but Im too hungover to have
changed it or really care too much.
:p
OK, let's not play Rafael or Fabio at all until we really need them when (touch wood) one of starters gets injured. It shouldn;t be a problem, because they are supposed to be ready.
The lads will get their chance in the cups and if we have injuries/suspensions
and also when we are winning games well. We wont throw them in ahead of
Wes or Evra just yet, the same way that we wont throw Foster in ahead of vds.

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
well for me after vds i would like to have foster as man utd num1 and also for england team he is far better than calamity james and robihnsson lol

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
i am convinced foster will claim the no 1 jersey when he gets his chance this season. vds also makes me nervous these days ,he has been a great keeper but his reflex's and agility have declined over the past couple of seasons and if you watch him closely its plain to see he makes more mistakes than save's.
ben foster will take over between the sticks before this season is finished in my opinion and should claim englands jersey when he's utds first choice.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
abojodeh said:
i like this video :)

Hi abo,

yep that video shows some nice saves of VDS and he still is a good keeper. It's just that he's been making mistakes on a regular basis.

It doesn't give me confidence at all and I can't even imagine what it does to hs team mates. Still glad he's in our setup though.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
sweet fa said:
i am convinced foster will claim the no 1 jersey when he gets his chance this season. vds also makes me nervous these days ,he has been a great keeper but his reflex's and agility have declined over the past couple of seasons and if you watch him closely its plain to see he makes more mistakes than save's.
ben foster will take over between the sticks before this season is finished in my opinion and should claim englands jersey when he's utds first choice.

Well, it's not a really a pain to see him, but I see his decline just like you.
As I;ve said, sometimes it's more difficult to see the decline of goalkeepers, because it more obvious with outfield players (more criteria to judge them by).

His reflexes are starting to wane and I'd really just be more comfortable seeing Foster start the games against the easier opponents and once he proves himself take over completely as the number 1.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
he will be given the chance to start a few matches. we will access his performance by then. he is good, but is he good enough for united? we will wait and see.

·
Keen on Fella's
8,472 Posts
foster has to play at least 15 to 20 games this season so we can see if he is the answer to keeper siyuation, i think this is edwins last season before he heads back to holland.
foster needs games to prove he is capable of stepping up to no.1 .
personally i think he can do it.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
he really has a future at united and he needs a few games to prove it...maybe in the carling and FA cup's he can be played......
he has the ability and i personally dont like kuszczak.....
so really hope foster will be our future no.1

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
akash_reds said:
he really has a future at united and he needs a few games to prove it...maybe in the carling and FA cup's he can be played......
he has the ability and i personally dont like kuszczak.....
so really hope foster will be our future no.1

Hey mate,

long time no see. how have you been?

I too am not a fan of Kuszczak and I really have a high hopes for Ben Foster. He just seems more assured and less nervous. He seems calm and has an authoritative aura about him. - i dig.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
i've been having exams lately so was not online for a while......but other tyhan that ive been great :)

i believe kusz just aint good enough for us...he just is good for our sub........
foster had done a good job at watford and i wouldnt mind him going out for a loan spell to some good premiership side....like carson had gone to AV last year.....
but i have a feeling he could play a couple of games for us this season!!

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
In the end, it doesn't really matter if VDS is declining or getting better, hes still 38.

Of course, goalkeepers can go on until their 40. However, I don't see the point in sticking with a 38 year old goalkeeper for anymore than 1 year, when we have a young, potentially world class goalkeeper waiting to take over.

I don't see the point in signing another goalkeeper when we can save £5-£10m+ because we have a quality keeper on the bench.

If he gets a good, long chance and doesn't grab it, then fair enough, we can sign someone else.

But he won't prove anything without a chance, at some point between now and in 2 years at the most we have got to make the transition between VDS to Foster.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Will the Van der Sar camp please stand up?

It's half-time against Liverpool and the smile on my face has been wiped away by a 38 year-old goal keeper.

I hope I don't come across as exaggerated or over-reacting, but van der Sar's first half display is EXACTLY what several other posters and I have been talking about - he's not his assured self anymore.

Yes, everybody has bad games, but this is not a rare occurrance or a one-off.

This has happened too many times in my eyes.

I think it was Jazz, who has asked how many of his blunder have resulted in a goal - well I can name at least one goal :rolleyes:

This is not the type of play that inspires confidence in defenders.

You might say it's early days in the season, but to me this is a carry over from last season and has been going on too long.

I just call it as I see it.

You might say that he has experienced - well all his years of experience and he palms it against Wes Brown ......

What ever happens, you can't unwind the clock - that was shocking and I'm going to take up the offer to name Ben Foster as my numner one choice keeper for the season ahead of van der Sar.

Bring on Ben Foster!

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
How'd I know this thread was bound to have a little bit of activity after Edwin blew that one? I'm inclined to agree with RFR on this one.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
not the best game by VDS by any means although he was better in the second half.......he is a good player but i think it is time to see foster in the GK shirt now......

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
abojodeh said:
huh now thats stupid
no one is perfect every body do mistakes so leave Van Der Sar alone

Yes, abo, but he's been making mistakes with more regularity.

It started last season and he showed it again today. I'm not going go and on about it...

I've said what I wanted to say.....

21 - 40 of 169 Posts