Manchester United Talk banner
101 - 120 of 169 Posts

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
RedMurph7 said:
I really hopes he sticks to his plan to retire because to be totally frank he well
past his best at this stage. I hope Foster gets his place before the end of the
season and that will make VDS retire as he not gonna stick around to sit on the
bench! But if its true Fergie wants him to stay on then it shows Fergie hasn't got
much fauth in Foster which is worrying.
I conquer and said the same in my post.

His presence alone will be a hindrance. When Thiery Henry left, it gave the youngsters at Arsenal the room to step up and it was a sign from Wenger that he trusted them to progress without him.

They went on to play some pretty scintillating footie.

Fergie has said the same about himself - when he finally retires he's not gonna stick around, because his presence would get in the way.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Foster ponders loan switch

BEN Foster admits he might have to go out on loan to prove to Sir Alex Ferguson that he is ready to be United's number one.

The highly-rated goalkeeper also believes a temporary Old Trafford exit could help him force his way into Fabio Capello's England squad.

Foster's Old Trafford career has stalled over the last 18 months because of knee and ankle ligament injuries. He is behind Edwin van der Sar and Tomasz Kuszczak in the United pecking order, despite having already won one international cap.

And after two successful loan spells at Watford, he believes he may have to leave United again to progress his career.

"I want to be playing football, that's the main thing for me," he said. "As a goalkeeper at my age now, that's when I need to be kicking on.

"I need to get more games under my belt.

"The two years at Watford were fantastic for me to be able to play week in, week out and be number one.

"I'm not sure what the gaffer is thinking. If he wants to send me out on loan, it's up to him, but I want to kick on here."

Sir Alex Ferguson has no intention of letting Foster leave on a permanent basis, as he rates the stopper highly.

He is convinced the £1m signing from Stoke has the potential to be at United for the next ten years - but he may be tempted to let the 25-year-old further his development elsewhere this season.

There would be no shortage of takers for Foster, with Nottingham Forest likely to be at the head of the queue after failing to land him earlier this year.

But United may prefer to loan him to another Premier League club to enhance his top flight experience.
http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/manchester_united/s/1075496_foster_ponders_loan_switch

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
I'd prefer Foster to stay and play instead of VDS when he takes his next dip in form. But I don't think Fergie will drop VDS, and even if he needs to play another keeper, Tomasz will get the nod.

Saying that though, I don't see what we or Foster would acheive by going on loan to the Championship. It would be a backward step in his development, no offence to the Championship.

If he was to go on loan, we should try to make sure that he goes to a Premiership team at the very least, preferably the highest challenging team possible.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Harry Redknapp wants Ben Foster to replace Heurelho Gomes at Spurs

Harry Redknapp wants Manchester United's Ben Foster - after deciding to dump blunder keeper Heurelho Gomes after just one game.

Tottenham boss Redknapp is a big admirer of England keeper Foster who is third choice at Old Trafford and rated as one of the best home-grown prospects in the country.

Redknapp is desperate to shore up his defence with a solid keeper and does not fancy £7m keeper Gomes after his recent poor displays, including Sunday's win over Bolton which left the new Spurs manager with major doubts.

Redknapp will have to persevere with Gomes - only signed in the summer from PSV Eindhoven - until the January transfer window but has already turned against him and reserve Cesar Sanchez also lacks experience.

Spurs tried to get Foster last summer and chairman Daniel Levy also rates him highly and the club have kept tabs on his progress.

Foster is highly rated by United boss Sir Alex Ferguson who is reluctant to let him go even though he is currently behind Edwin van der Sar and Tomasz Kuszczak in the pecking order.

But Foster needs to be playing games and there is a possibility that United would consider a loan deal to Spurs in January as they are not in direct competition in the Premier League.

Foster would like to establish himself at United but his career is reaching the crossroads and he may need to move permanently next summer if Fergie does not give him his big chance next season.

Redknapp has been heavily linked with David James but may have trouble luring him away from Portsmouth but fancies an English keeper and Foster fits the bill.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/2008/10/29/harry-redknapp-wants-ben-foster-to-replace-heurelho-gomes-at-spurs-115875-20848996/

·
Registered
406 Posts
Though a good idea, the article seems made up tbh. Only two days ago Harry was praising Gomez saying he's one of the most talented keepers in the league and that he is looking forward to working with him. I cant understand what changed since then, especially since they havent played any game since.

lol and I loved the part where the article says Cesar lacks experience. He made over 300 apperances in La liga, played for Real Madrid and was actually ahead of Casillas for a period of time starting the champions league final and he even played for Spain. Pretty inexperienced Id say =p

·
hates City
2,913 Posts
I've just read that Foster is a spurs target in January. I think Fergie should keep him at united, loan him in january till the end of the season so he can have enough games under his belt and return back as number 1 next season

·
Registered
569 Posts
Ben Foster discussion thread

Ben Foster's agent has exclusively revealed to setantasports.com that the Manchester United goalkeeper could welcome the chance to become a part of Harry Redknapp's revolution at Tottenham Hotspur.http://sport.setanta.com/en/Sport/News/Football/2008/10/29/Premier-League-Foster-exclusive/?facets/sport-space/great-britain-locale/football/

A report on Wednesday morning claimed that Redknapp has immediately targeted current number one Heurelho Gomes as a weak link in the Spurs side and that Foster – who won an England cap against Spain in 2007 – is top of his list to replace the Brazilian.

The 25-year-old has suffered from a string of injuries at Old Trafford and appears to be Sir Alex Ferguson's third-choice goalkeeper at present behind Edwin van der Sar and Tomasz Kuszczak.

Now Foster's agent, Lee Payne, has confirmed that his client could be open to a move to North London that was first mooted over the summer, but his priority remains succeeding in Manchester.

“Ben needs to play and he wants to do that at Manchester United, but if the option was given for him to do it elsewhere then he would jump at it,†Payne told setantasports.com.

“I haven't heard anything directly from Tottenham, there was speculation in the summer and via via via there was some contact, but as for this latest interest until there is actually contact between the clubs you just take it as speculation.

“He is at a massive club and I think he wants to prove that he can play at a massive club like Manchester United.

“He is very happy at Manchester United but the one thing I would say at the moment is that he is absolutely straining at the leash to play.

“He says he feels that he is on fire at the moment and he wants to play. He would be interested if it meant going and playing basically.â€

It has been suggested that Foster could well go out on loan again after spending two successful spells with Watford, and the player's agent has admitted this could be an option if he fails to increase his first team chances at Old Trafford.

“Definitely possible,†Payne added. “He missed all of last season, he was worked so hard to get back now and he is fitter and stronger than he has ever been.

“He just wants to play now and he is straining at the leash to play now and he woul definitely be ready.â€
........?

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Fergie - Keepers going nowhere
Kuszczak and Foster staying at Old Trafford

Sir Alex Ferguson has insisted there is no chance of either Tomasz Kuszczak or Ben Foster being sent out on loan.

Edwin van der Sar is Ferguson's first choice goalkeeper and Kuszczak has been providing the regular back-up this season.

Foster is now fit again following an ankle injury and there have been suggestions that Ferguson would allow one of the two players to move away from Manchester United on a temporary basis.

New Tottenham boss Harry Redknapp has been heavily linked with Foster but Ferguson has no intention of letting him go.

"There is absolutely no chance of Ben Foster or Tomasz Kuszczak going out on loan," said Ferguson.

"We have Tom Heaton on loan at Cardiff at the moment and that is plenty."

Experience

38-year-old Van der Sar was rested for the 2-0 victory over West Ham on Wednesday and Ferguson believes it is important forFoster and Kuszczak to be given the occasional opportunity.

He explained: "We left him (Van der Sar) out against West Ham because we are managing him to keep the freshness in him.

"But it is also very important that we give experience to Tomasz and Foster. I will be rotating them as the season goes on.

"We need to give them experience but also show we regard them very highly. They are the future."

This is good news. Foster should be No 1 when VDS retires, and could be a fantastic goalkeeper. Even though I don't think Kuzczsak is a good enough all-round goalkeeper to be our No 1, hes a reliable enough and good enough goalkeeper to be our No 2.

However, I'm not too keen on this. Fair enough, giving Kuzczsak and Foster a chance in Carling/FA Cup and the odd Champions League games is fine, or when VDS is injured, since he seems to be our No 1. Thats a good idea. But rotation? :confused:

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
United keeper Foster handed rare chance after Van der Sar misses Celtic showdown

Ben Foster seems certain to make his Champions League debut for Manchester United tomorrow night after Edwin van der Sar was rested for the trip to Celtic.
Sir Alex Ferguson has promised both Foster and Tomasz Kuszczak they will be given chances to impress this season and the England international is the likely beneficiary of Van der Sar's absence.

Remarkably, it would only be Foster's second senior appearance for United even though he has been at Old Trafford for over three years.
The first two seasons were spent on loan at Watford and then last term, when he was expected to challenge Van der Sar for a first-team berth, he was ruled out following cruciate ligament surgery.
Foster did make his United debut in March, keeping a clean sheet in a narrow win at Derby, but because he was not registered for the Champions League, Sir Alex Ferguson decided to place his faith in Kuszczak.
The United boss has previously stated his belief that Foster is England's number one goalkeeper and amazingly, his only appearance at Old Trafford came for his country when he won his first - and so far only - cap against Spain in February 2007.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1083070/United-keeper-Foster-handed-rare-chance-Van-der-Sar-misses-Celtic-showdown.html

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #117 ·
Man....i'm really chuffed for him and wish him good luck and steady nerves tonight.

It's just wrong that Rafael has already more games than him at United.

He deserves more chances and I hope he'll do as well as I know he can.

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
Whats everyones thoughts on Ben after last night???
I know people are going to defend him and say not many keepers would have saved that lob!
Been honest for a short time after the Celtic goal Ben was all over the place!

Is he United quailty???? Your thoughts......

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
He had a bad game but he is still United quality imo. Every keeper has bad games
even he likes of VDS, Cech and Cassilas do, so its no major big deal.
It was his first game in the CL for United and it was at Parkhead, which was
an intimadating place to start. Its funny cos the only time Foster has played at OT
is for England lol. The experience will do him good ad he will get his chance again, Im sure of it.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 ·
The game just highlighted the fact that he needs games.

That performance was not the same as the Ben Foster at Watford in the 06/07 season.
I feel really sorry for him because he was supposed to challenge VDS last season and now he's probably a season away from doing it.

He last nervous last night and although he was not positioned well to save the goal, I feel he would have done so, if he had more match sharpness.

I believe in Ben Foster and I believe he'll put the opening 20 minutes of the Celtic game behind him and move on. Hopefully, Fergie shares that believe.

BTW, that was nowhere near as bad as VDS against Liverpool. NOWHERE NEAR!

101 - 120 of 169 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.