Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Stretford Ender
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know united is part of the big four but does anyone know the last times the major trophies were won by anyone other than the big four. Interesting

FA Cup - Everton 1995
Premier League - Blackburn Rovers 1995
Carling Cup - Middlesboro 2004

Goes to show how much of gap has developed as how big an achievement Spurs win in Carling Cup is.

I love it when United win but its the one part of the modern game that causes concern as it may well be a league of just the four and play each other to decide who wins this year (Liverpool would still not win anything LOL!!!!).

Would just like other United fans views on this part of the british game

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
I think the title to your thread is wrong for starters...
It should be called the 'Big 3' ;-)

they are interesting stats about the other teams. Its certainly been
a while since another team has made big waves, and it will probably be a very long time before anyone else wins the League.
The domination will always be there, being joined sporadically by the likes of City, Villa and Everton.
Pool will be doing well to secure 4th this season.

·
Banned
1,238 Posts
The gaps big but it is closing as spurs have proved i think ramos has the foundations of a top 4 team i think if you got 2 or 3 new class players there liverpool are in trouble . I just cant see them competing with united , arsenal and chelsea the money we have and the current squads we have would take years to catch us as liverpool are finding out . They have been throwing cash at it and other than torres i dont think they have bought a player who would get in at united , arsenal and chelsea .

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
well spurs won today...

sorry didn read all of what you said!! ya great win for them! might spur them on (pun intended!) just like our win in the worthnothing cup gave our young team players the desire to bring it up a notch!!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Ronaldo7 said:
Villa won league cup 1996..
League cup, Carling cup.
The last time Carling cup/Leage cup was won by a team that is not Chelsea, Man Utd, Arsenal or Liverpool was in the year 2004 by middlesborough who is a team NOT in the big 4.

Do you now know, why what you said was stupid? ;)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Ramos has only lost 1 game in a cup tournament since 2005....now I wonder which manager it was that got the upper hand over him?? ;)

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
I think a team outside the current big 4 needs to win the FA Cup or finish in the top 4, and qualify for the Champions League, for the good of the English game.

Everton broke into the top 4 a couple of seasons ago but lost in the Champions League qualifiers to Villareal. The money gained from appearing in the Champions League would have helped them build a bigger and better squad so that they could aim for a top 4 finish again.

Many teams seem to have given up on the FA Cup. I must applaud teams like Boro who have consistently had good cup runs in the last few years but they are in the minority. The general consensus seems to be that if you don't play for one of the big 4 then you have no chance of winning the tournament.

This needs to change.

·
Stretford Ender
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
some good comments. good to see united fans dont want it all too easy (title wins from early 2000's spring to mind when they were won by xmas).

I will go along with big 3. Liverpool have had the big cash injection from stateside and are gonna have the new stadium (which look like an aluminium coated turd!!!!) but it still aint done them any favours. Two lucky champ league finals is all they got to boast about recently.

Love champ league but premier league is where its at week in week out and as much as i hate arsenal, they are who i would select as the other team in any league title race. US WINNING IN THE END OBVIOUSLY

1 - 11 of 11 Posts