Manchester United Talk banner
121 - 140 of 210 Posts
43 Posts
What a pity we didn't qualify, just taking the UEFA Cup spot. Missing scoring opportunities when the goal is open and in 5 meters is our curse during this CL campaign. But the play was great, we overplayed Juve in both matches but Del Piero is something special.

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
Jazz 16 said:
Im really looking forward to watching the highlights of the Real/Juve game.
Hopefully Juve can stuff them. 2 of the most succesful teams ever in Europe going all
9>2, and Juve have managed to win as many as Benfica, Nottingham Forest, and Porto.

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
Drunia (Saint-Petersburg) said:
What a pity we didn't qualify, just taking the UEFA Cup spot. Missing scoring opportunities when the goal is open and in 5 meters is our curse during this CL campaign. But the play was great, we overplayed Juve in both matches but Del Piero is something special.

Your Champions League final was agaisnt Manchester United in what we know as the super cup:p

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
Crazy game between Barca and Sporting... 4-2 at present!!
Sporting got right back into it with two goals in 2mins to make it 3-2, but then the give a way an own goal that a striker would be proud of... own goal of the season contender lol

Inter are 0-1 at home
Anelka scored a well taken goal...... watched the first 15mins of this, boring game and Chelsea were by no means the better team!

oh and them other lads are winning 1-0 too.... the pool

EDIT** Chelsea 1-1 and fat frank gets sent off......... yeahawww

G

·
Wednesday, 26 November 2008
UEFA Champions League Results.

Anorthosis Famagusta 2-2 Werder Bremen
Atletico Madrid 2-1 PSV Eindhoven
Bordeaux 1-1 Chelsea
CFR Cluj-Napoca 1-3 Roma
Inter Milan 0-1 Panathinaikos
Liverpool 1-0 Marseille
Shakhtar Donetsk 5-0 Basle
Sporting Lisbon 2-5 Barcelona

·
Registered
83 Posts
milans loss to panathanikos have really opened up thier group and now its qualification into the next round is just anybodys guess

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
piazza said:
9>2, and Juve have managed to win as many as Benfica, Nottingham Forest, and Porto.

You're young, Piazza...... go to get some information
Here it is some:

JUVE has got only 2 Ch.League, but reached 7 times the final.
In the last 30 years we're the team with more european Cups (6) and european Finals (11)
Cups: UEFA 77, Cup Winners' 84, Champions 85, UEFA 90 and 93, Champions 96

Other finals: Champions 83, UEFA 95, Champions 97-98-03

...... without considering the national titles.

When we have lost the Champions' Final, we made fantastic tournaments, being considered the most powerful team of Europe without any doubts (except in 2003):
unfortunately, taking always huge respect to the national league, we often arrive at the end of May not at the top of the form...... differently, our opponents were always secondary teams (Hambourg in 83, B.Dortmund in 97, R.Madrid in 98 and AC Milan in 03) who based all season in that single match and arrived more fresh and motivated

I still continue to consider JUVE one of the more winning team in Europe.... what do you think ??

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 ·
piazza said:
I was going to reply to this but I see Ejuventus has beat me to it :)
Just read his post. They ARE one of the big European powers.
Sure Barca have 'only' won 2 as well.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Jazz 16 said:
That's self-evident,

Anyway, thanks Jazz16 to reaffirm it

·
Thank you Sir Alex
5,528 Posts
Jazz 16 said:
Juve are an European power house no doubt about that. But that does not mean they are one of the most successful teams in Europe. What good is reaching the final if you can't win it?

And the Euro cup these days means that your are not good enough for the champions league.

Real Madrid, AC Milan and Bayern Munich are the most successful European teams.

@ ejuventus

Can you give me the years of the 11 European finals that Juve appeared?

Isn't it 7 ?

Champions League

Runners up

Winners

Euro cup

Runners up
1965 (more than 30 years ago)

Winners

·
Thank you Sir Alex
5,528 Posts
Also Jazz, when it comes to winning cups, R.Madrid >>>>>>>>> Barcelona. But that does not mean that Barcelona is not a powerhouse, but they're not that successful.

Spanish League
Real Madrid- 31
Barcelona- 18

Champions League
Real Madrid- 9
Barcelona- 2

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
red devil jeff said:
Juve are an European power house no doubt about that. But that does not mean they are one of the most successful teams in Europe. What good is reaching the final if you can't win it?

And the Euro cup these days means that your are not good enough for the champions league.

Real Madrid, AC Milan and Bayern Munich are the most successful European teams.

@ ejuventus

Can you give me the years of the 11 European finals that Juve appeared?

Isn't it 7 ?

Champions League

Runners up

Winners

Euro cup

Runners up
1965 (more than 30 years ago)

Winners

Wrong.

First, I'm talking about the last 30 years, the period caractherizing not only the football modern era (sponsor, Tv, ecc. ) but also most of us' knowledge of it.
Considering that, Juventus' Finals are:

Champions: n° 6 finals
1985, 96 winners
1982, 97, 98, 03 : runners up

Cup winners': n° 1 final
1984: winners

UEFA Cup: n° 4 finals
1977, 90, 93: winners
1995: runners up

6 + 1 + 4 = 11 finals...... as well as Barcellona, but we have 6 CUPS (like Liverpool) instead of their 5 ..... always talking about the last 30 years

I said, not only we have the biggest number of Finals, but also of Cups won.

Satisfied ??

Don't trust AC Milan who doesn't engage itsself in the national league (arriving always 15-20 points behind) to be fresh on springtime for in-or-out phase of Champions L., appearing always better than what they really are........ On the other hand, consider that last our 3 Champions Finals lost (97-98-03) were played by ours having already won another national title

Sorry for all that, but it was another post starting the discussion about european JUVENTUS' skill to win

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #135 ·
I know the stats mate. Madrid did win most of their European trophies in a row,
with an unbeatable team back in the 50's with Puskas and diStefano so the 9
may be a bit misleading imo. It was also a bit easier to win back then as well,
cos there was only 1 team per country going through.
Anyway, you cant say Barca ARENT successful, they just arent as successful as Madrid.
By your rationale, then United are not successful either cos Liverpool are still ahead on major trophies :(
Either way, Juve and Barca are both European powerhouses despite what they
have or havent won. I bet Juve have been to more finals than anyone bar
Madrid and Milan.

·
Thank you Sir Alex
5,528 Posts
I did not mean Barcelona aren't succesful. I meant what you meant, they just aren't that successful as Madrid.

Even if you take the General Franco era away from Madrid, they're still more successful than Barcelona. Although i admit that had De Stefano been playing for Barca, things would have been a little different.

And in no shape or form i am suggesting that Juventus and Barcelona aren't European powerhouses. Being a big club doesn't guarantee you success. I mean look at city, they're a MASSIVE club aren't they?

@ ejuventus
Okay mate, i'm satisfied with your explanation. I thought you were talking about the champions league alone. But AC Milan, i think they're smart. They put all their eggs in one basket, increases their chances of winning medals.

·
Thank you Sir Alex
5,528 Posts
Oh and jazz, if you're talking about the Champions league, then Bayern have an equal number of final appearances to Juve ie 7.

And Liverpool have more number of final appearances than Juve ie 8

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
ejuventus said:
You're young, Piazza...... go to get some information
Here it is some:

JUVE has got only 2 Ch.League, but reached 7 times the final.
In the last 30 years we're the team with more european Cups (6) and european Finals (11)
Cups: UEFA 77, Cup Winners' 84, Champions 85, UEFA 90 and 93, Champions 96

Other finals: Champions 83, UEFA 95, Champions 97-98-03

...... without considering the national titles.

When we have lost the Champions' Final, we made fantastic tournaments, being considered the most powerful team of Europe without any doubts (except in 2003):
unfortunately, taking always huge respect to the national league, we often arrive at the end of May not at the top of the form...... differently, our opponents were always secondary teams (Hambourg in 83, B.Dortmund in 97, R.Madrid in 98 and AC Milan in 03) who based all season in that single match and arrived more fresh and motivated

I still continue to consider JUVE one of the more winning team in Europe.... what do you think ??
Well I think, that if you lose 5 out of 7 Cup Finals, that you're quite unsuccessful.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #139 ·
piazza said:
Well I think, that if you lose 5 out of 7 Cup Finals, that you're quite unsuccessful.
relatively speaking possibly but cmon you have more sense than that Piazza....to make statements like that.
Making a final is a great achievment in itself.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
piazza said:

I still consider the other Cups at the same level of Champions; moreover, the UEFA Cup was definitivly strongest and difficult than old Champions' one:
so that, we have 6 won in the last 30 years, more than anybody else.

If we're not successful, nobody is.

121 - 140 of 210 Posts