Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone noticed that since the CL reared it's head our form has dipped overall especially in the PL? It all seemed to start v Blackburn when after conceding a sloppy goal the team looked unconvincing. Followed up by Newcastle and Liverpool , we seem to have entered an unconvincing period in the PL.

My take is that SAF has made them focus on the PL inbetween qualifying and the resumption of the CL (hence our mega run without conceding etc) . Up pops the CL again and minds are not focussed on the PL in the same way. It's almost as if the feeling has been "Ok , we've pretty much sorted out the league , let's concentrate on the CL "

The problem is our main rivals (especially LFC) seemed to have been re-invigorated by the CL , whereas for us it seems a burden because we are trying to make CL history. Fergie wants another CL title badly and the focus seems to be there right now and not the PL.

I don't think it's physical tiredness because you only have to look at Arsenal (who played in Italy + extra time and pens) to see that you can still play with pace and tempo. I think it's mental focus. The PL became too easy and the focus shifted to Fergie's main target. The sloppiness and conceding of goals all coincide with the return of the CL. It can't be a coincidence can it?

One thing I think is happening is that this team is trying to play a more European , possession style football , and taking the lead and then holding on to it using possession and deliberate slow passing seems to be the chosen formula. The ironic thing is LFC played fast PL style v Real Madrid and blew them away. I really don't like the whole "take the lead and then hold it" approach. Playing for 1-0s is dangerous and can only work if your defence is totally spot on and now our focus has shifted the defence is not spot on in the PL.

My feeling is that Fergie wants us to try and play like we did in the two legs v Barca as much as possible and if he risks the PL to have another shot at the CL then so be it. My problem with this is that we don't need to do this against lesser teams than Barca. It makes teams like LFC look better than they are. If I were a Chelsea or Liverpool fan the one thing that would end my PL hopes would be United getting dumped out of the CL. But does it have to be that way? Why is our CL run having a negative effect whereas for the others it's breathed life into their season? :mf_tongue:

·
Registered
104 Posts
We are reaping the 'rewards' of our success. The Community Shield, Super Cup and World Club Cup have added 4 extra games to our season, not counting the travelling etc. etc. On top of that we went all the way to the Careless Cup Final, we're (of course) still in the Champions League and FA Cup and once again have a game in hand. Ferguson has done his best to rotate, often to my frustration, but we're in mid-March and have already played fifty competitive games and have possibly another seventeen to play if we go all the way in all competitions, and I think it's beginning to show.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We are reaping the 'rewards' of our success. The Community Shield, Super Cup and World Club Cup have added 4 extra games to our season, not counting the travelling etc. etc. On top of that we went all the way to the Careless Cup Final, we're (of course) still in the Champions League and FA Cup and once again have a game in hand. Ferguson has done his best to rotate, often to my frustration, but we're in mid-March and have already played fifty competitive games and have possibly another seventeen to play if we go all the way in all competitions, and I think it's beginning to show.
I see your point , but do those few extra games really account for it? It's not as if our rivals haven't played many games as well and Arsenal and Liverpool don't have the squads that we do. I think tiredness plays some role but the difference in energy levels has been dramatic. Arsenal looked full of running at the weekend when they could be excused for being exhausted. It seemed to me that they were overjoyed to get through whereas we just sort of "expected it" . I think success and the prospect of success has started to become a burden.

When so much is expected you start to think about how dissappointing it would be to lose it. If United win the league then it will just be "oh well , another title then" - but if they lose it to Liverpool it's a disaster. It's hard to be motivated in a situation like that. Our rivals have nothing to lose in the PL and they are playing like it. We have started to play like there is everything to lose. The emergence of the CL means there is just one more thing they can lose. They hold both titles remember , so the only thing they can do is equal it , they cannot improve on it. The only other way is down. I think that's the basic psychology of it.

·
TROLOLOLOL
4,077 Posts
We have started to play like there is everything to lose. The emergence of the CL means there is just one more thing they can lose.
If this was Harry Hills TV Burp this would be shown under 'Forum ridiculous quote of the week'....

How the **** do we play like everything is to lose :S it doesn't even make sense....I cant even begin to argue my point but anyone with 1/18th of a brain cells pube will see this is very silly thinking.

·
Registered
104 Posts
The scousers have played just 44 games compared to our 50, and when we play our game in hand it will be 44 to our 51 . . . and it's beginning to show. :(

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
I think ReddestFront has a point.

I saw Ronaldo being interviewed the other day and thought he looked tired. He missed pre-season because of his injury and I can only remember him being rested for a couple of FA Cup games all season.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If this was Harry Hills TV Burp this would be shown under 'Forum ridiculous quote of the week'....

How the **** do we play like everything is to lose :S it doesn't even make sense....I cant even begin to argue my point but anyone with 1/18th of a brain cells pube will see this is very silly thinking.
When you feel the title is nearly in the bag that's when the nerves set in because you are so close but still can still lose it. If Liverpool win it they will always say that United lost it and threw it away. Don't you watch any sport? Don't you remember Van der Velde in the Open in 99? Lewis Hamilton in 2007. If you play any sport at all you will know how this psychology works and how the hardest line to cross is the winning line when it's nearly in your grasp. The team that already feels it has lost has nothing to lose and plays in a relaxed way. God , I don't believe I'm actually having to explain this to someone who can't even quote me correctly! (We have started to play like there is everything to lose.)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts