Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Boy, the day of the fight I went to watch it at North Sydney leagues club. I wasn't expecting the level of interest it drummed up. I mean I think we can all agree that boxing has had it's heyday and doesn't really have the aura that it once did back in the days of Ali & Foreman or Tyson & Holyfield. That's why when I got to the club, couldn't park, could find anywhere to sit even though the fight was being shown in goodness knows how many lounges upstairs and down that I began to realise this one fight was almost like going back to the glory days of boxing. I'm not the biggest boxing fan but even I recognised the emotion in the room/s that day. I got there at 1pm ready for a fight. Two and a Half hours later, after what seemed like a myriad of warm up bouts, it was 3 in actuality but it felt like 50, I finally got something to cheer about. The fight hadn't begun and I felt worn out & I was only watching! I remember thinking to myself say what you like but only Vegas can build the suspense like this. Hell I think I speak for every bloke in the sports bar when I say if asked about those warm up matches I only remember vaguely that they involved other fighters who were unimportant. I don't remember the results, the names I only remember each fight in relation to how long they were before the main fight. I remember the warm up fights were pretty decent, there were quality fighters going nuts, one fighter would land a three punch combo a few people would wince maybe clap, then the round would end a we'd get a 10 sec shot of Hatton warming up. The bar freakin' exploded. I'm not exaggerating. Hell by the time the fight rolled round everybody was tense after three UNEXPECTED hours of waiting here it came. Nope. Wrong. First they had to have the obligatory shots of celebs at the fight. David Beckham. Huge Roar of Approval. Sugar Ray Leonard. Claps and cheers all round. Good work so far so good, keeping the crowd on edge. Gwen Stefani. Dead Silence. The didn't even put her name on the screen instead the camera man focused on the guy next to her. Big mistake.. How were they going to rescue the mood now? It would take a miracle. The next shot, you ask? Sly Stallone and Bruce Willis in the same shot. The Room went NUTS! The roof blew of in a storm of ROCKY! ROCKY! ROCKY! DIE HARD! It was time. I have never experienced the sheer roller coaster of emotions like I did in that room during that fight. I'm getting on a bit here so I'll try to be brief. Let's just say By the seventh round people were glued deep down I think we all began to realise that the fight had turned. In the first 3 minutes people were visibly groaning that they didn't back Hatton to smash this fairy boy ponce. By the seventh those people were realising that Hatton was never really in control despite the illusion of the first three rounds. Then the unthinkable. "LOST SIGNAL". The screens went black ACROSS AUSTRALIA. Something to do with Sky & Main Event. I won't repeat some of the things I heard that day but I'm pretty sure that several of those words were single handedly enough to send you to hell upon your death. The owner of that's sports bar came face to face with several near death experiences and I don't know how many times your life can flash before your eyes but he probably got in several viewings before he got the signal back, just in time... SMACK! BAM! Mayweather unloads Hatton hits the ropes. ****. Lucky I didn't bet on Hatton. Too bad I lost the money I saved on blackjack. Oh well. You live, you learn. There's no sure thing Real life isn't Rocky. Credit to Hatton for getting up only to get knocked down again. What a fight, not the right result for me but to exercise an old cliché. It's a victory for boxing fans everywhere.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I think part of the thing that killed the "glory days" of boxing was that every other match was rigged and exploited so much. People lost interested because there was so much scandle involed. If an underdog ever won it was "because it's fixed", etc. It's hard to get a solid reputation back after something like that

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Yeah mate, bloody Foxtel lost signal for 3 rounds or so, I was spewing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,665 Posts
I haven't looked forward to a fight so much in years.

The heavyweight boxing scene in Britain after Lennox Lewis retired became a joke - Harrison, Skelton and Williams are all as rubbish as each other.

Calzaghe and Hatton have brought pride back into British boxing and Amir Khan looks like a future star in the making. I just wish Khan would fight someone who can last a few rounds!!!

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
That was the first boxing match I ever have witnessed, because generally I don't care....but this time it was different for some reason..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts