Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 1269 Posts

·
Member of the Year 2012 & 2013
43,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Surprised there isn't a thread for this yet, it kicks off tonight!

I think Brazil - Japan is on @ 8pm UK time, on BBC3, I think ITV4 has games as well, but I'm not 100% sure on that...

Looking forward to it personally :)

·
Anderson Luís de Abreu Oliveira
3,955 Posts
Surprised there isn't a thread for this yet, it kicks off tonight!

I think Brazil - Japan is on @ 8pm UK time, on BBC3, I think ITV4 has games as well, but I'm not 100% sure on that...

Looking forward to it personally :)
should be a tight game, i think Japan might have a shot for this, your thought Oddman?

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
should be a tight game, i think Japan might have a shot for this, your thought Oddman?

In Japan, we call Korea rivals. Some call them 'Shukuteki', sworn enemies.
In Japan, we call Australia rivals. Some call them 'Kotekishu', a respected opponent.
In Japan, we call Brazil 'Tenteki'... natural predators. We call them 'Oukoku', the Kingdom.

I think the score from 68' to the present sits at 10 games, 7 losses, 3 draws, 6GF, 26GA.
But if you look solely at our clashes in the Confederations cup we haven't done too bad.
In 01' under Philippe Troussier, we held them 1-1 in Kashima.
In 05' under Arthur "Zico" Coimbra, we held them 2-2 in Koln.

You hear Japanese players say it all the time, "Mentality", "Mindset". Japanese are by nature, by culture, modest, respectful. Oftentimes, too modest and too respectful. We go in thinking we're lucky if we pull through with a draw, too careful for our own good. That's why Honda is our talisman ahead of Kagawa. Honda gives no fucks who we're playing, he believes we have just as much chance as they do. He's got a bit of cheek. Some call it arrogance, some call it disrespectful, I call it realistic. The ball is round, and there is never a game that can't be won. Fricken Tahiti is in the Confederations Cup. There's never zero chance.

We're also too harmonious, cooperative, and too much of a herd. Brazil, are the polar opposite. Where Japan is all about the collective, Brazil boasts high individual talent, and that is what gets us every time. Japan plays a tight team defense that relies on everybody controlling pass courses and confining our opponents passing options. It actually works wonders against other tactically minded teams, but leaves us very susceptible to counters from teams with players that will grab a loose ball and charge up the pitch team be damned, and go for a goal alone. We get too locked into preventing passes, we overlook the risk of the guy not even trying to pass. By the time we realize what's happening, they are halfway up the pitch, we're scrambling to catch up and half the opponent loses their mark in that split second of panic. I think Japan have a better chance against Spain, than we do against Brazil.

On the other hand, the reality of it is we have the technique, tactics, and skill to get passed Brazil's defense. They key is to 'unleash the individual' and 'don't cradle the ball'. We're good at passes and combinations, but we rely on that too much sometimes. Why make 12 passes when you can shoot in 4. It's better to trust the individual to shoot, miss, and start from a goal kick than it is to pass around waiting for a perfect team scoring opportunity, only to lose the ball in midfield and suffer a rapid counter. And as always, win the looseballs. Shoot, get blocked, shoot the rebound again. If we can frustrate Brazil and make them impatient, we'll have a shot.

·
The Great Dane
6,422 Posts
Japan are a team that never gets tired. All their players can run and run and run and run... and run. There football quality aren't that good to be honest.

Kagawa is by far there most talented player.

·
The Great Dane
6,422 Posts
In Japan, we call Korea rivals. Some call them 'Shukuteki', sworn enemies.
In Japan, we call Australia rivals. Some call them 'Kotekishu', a respected opponent.
In Japan, we call Brazil 'Tenteki'... natural predators. We call them 'Oukoku', the Kingdom.

I think the score from 68' to the present sits at 10 games, 7 losses, 3 draws, 6GF, 26GA.
But if you look solely at our clashes in the Confederations cup we haven't done too bad.
In 01' under Philippe Troussier, we held them 1-1 in Kashima.
In 05' under Arthur "Zico" Coimbra, we held them 2-2 in Koln.

You hear Japanese players say it all the time, "Mentality", "Mindset". Japanese are by nature, by culture, modest, respectful. Oftentimes, too modest and too respectful. We go in thinking we're lucky if we pull through with a draw, too careful for our own good. That's why Honda is our talisman ahead of Kagawa. Honda gives no f**ks who we're playing, he believes we have just as much chance as they do. He's got a bit of cheek. Some call it arrogance, some call it disrespectful, I call it realistic. The ball is round, and there is never a game that can't be won. Fricken Tahiti is in the Confederations Cup. There's never zero chance.

We're also too harmonious, cooperative, and too much of a herd. Brazil, are the polar opposite. Where Japan is all about the collective, Brazil boasts high individual talent, and that is what gets us every time. Japan plays a tight team defense that relies on everybody controlling pass courses and confining our opponents passing options. It actually works wonders against other tactically minded teams, but leaves us very susceptible to counters from teams with players that will grab a loose ball and charge up the pitch team be damned, and go for a goal alone. We get too locked into preventing passes, we overlook the risk of the guy not even trying to pass. By the time we realize what's happening, they are halfway up the pitch, we're scrambling to catch up and half the opponent loses their mark in that split second of panic. I think Japan have a better chance against Spain, than we do against Brazil.

On the other hand, the reality of it is we have the technique, tactics, and skill to get passed Brazil's defense. They key is to 'unleash the individual' and 'don't cradle the ball'. We're good at passes and combinations, but we rely on that too much sometimes. Why make 12 passes when you can shoot in 4. It's better to trust the individual to shoot, miss, and start from a goal kick than it is to pass around waiting for a perfect team scoring opportunity, only to lose the ball in midfield and suffer a rapid counter. And as always, win the looseballs. Shoot, get blocked, shoot the rebound again. If we can frustrate Brazil and make them impatient, we'll have a shot.

You made Denmark very frustrated at the World Cup in South Africa. We played awful, but Honda was amazing in that game.

·
The Great Dane
6,422 Posts
Brazil are dominating in Confederations Cup too with 3 wins.

Winners:

1992 - Argentina
1995 - Denmark
1997 - Brazil
1999 - Mexico
2001 - France
2003 - France
2005 - Brazil
2009 - Brazil
2013 - ?

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
lol... that was quick.

Japan trying something different today, no one top striker, instead 4 AMF's up top.
Kagawa, Okazaki, Honda, Kiyotake. A 424 ish 4231.

1 - 20 of 1269 Posts