Manchester United Talk banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 184 Posts

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

We dont seem to have a thread on young Welbeck so here it is.
He made his first team debut against Boro this week and showed great promise.

I know there are other forwards that will get more games than him, but I hope he
gets a look in this season as he has been amazing for the reserves.

Thats why I think the cups are very important, so we can blood these future
prospects into the team.
Any thoughts or comments on Welbeck to go in this thread.

Z

·
0 Posts

Name: Danny Welbeck
Date of birth: November 26,1990
Nationality: English
Position: Striker

Danny joined the youth team in Summer 2007 and his dazzling skills and electric
pace meant he quickly caught the eye of Sir Alex's eye, who has compared him
to Nwa nkwo Kanu. He started 14 games in the 2007/2008 season, scoring nine goals
in the process, three of which came in a brilliant display against local rivals
Manchester City.

He was brought along with the senior squad for their trip to Saudi Arabia during
mid season and despite missing a penalty, he still impressed the manager with his
performance and has been handed a squad number for the first team for the 2008/2009
season

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
Some of the skills I've seen from Welbeck in the reserves are outstanding. Drag backs, back heels etc in the box when surrounded by defenders for example. His ball control is very good.

·
Proto-Hipster
46,959 Posts

his looks like a mix of Andy Cole Dweight Yorke
and he have the great ball control of Yorke but still not impressed

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
I haven't seen him much.

However, on the rare occasion I have seen him, and from what I've heard, he looks and sounds talented.

I hope he gets some chances to show what he can do, but considering hes only 17/18, there'll be plenty of time for him yet.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
I like this player.

My impressions from last night.

First of all, he has bulked up since the pre-season of 07/08 when the team was in Saud Arbia. If you watch that match and compare to last night, you can see that his upper body and shoulders have more mess and definition.

He's determined. He doesn't like to let players hustle him off the ball and will run after the ball.

He's got good ball control. He controlled the ball well and was able to keep the ball even when Boro players were putting him under pressure. I have to say though that his FIRST TOUCH could be a bit better and this is really important for a Premier League player.

I think he doesn't have as much pace as Frazier Campbell, but he's definitely no slouch either.

He's scored some nice goals in the reserves too and I actually think he has a better chance of making it than Campbell, but we'll have to see how badly he wants to make it.

·
TROLOLOLOL
4,077 Posts
Im not overly impressed with him YET,but he's got enough time to show his worth,he will hardly put the fear into opponents and TBH Fraizer Campbell looks much more impressive.I hope im wrong but i cant see him being at united for more than 2 years longer

·
Registered
36 Posts
He did a good match last night, but he is only 17 and i think that when he is 19 years old we gonna see the best of him. It would be great if he played against team like Hull, Wigan or Sunderland in the PL.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
made a good debut
i did feel sorry for him though
when he was pushed out on the wing so giggs could come inside

·
All round nice guy
3,887 Posts
probably our best english prospect to come through our youth system in a long time.

I rate him quite highly, more than Campbell anyway. He'll definately be a quality premiership striker but not sure if he'll make it with united.

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
I've always rated him highly and I'm one of his biggest fans. He didn't look out of place yesterday (or the Saudi trip) either.

Style wise he seems quite like Kanu to me, only with pace. If he can get up to Kanu's level (in his prime) then we will have some player.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I know i've heard some pundits say they see some of Kanu in this boy but i will stick my neck on the block and say he will be abetter player than Kanu, for a start he's much quicker and more agile and i think he'll be more of a goal scorer.

·
Im not fat... im sex.
8,817 Posts
Drew9 said:
I know i've heard some pundits say they see some of Kanu in this boy but i will stick my neck on the block and say he will be abetter player than Kanu, for a start he's much quicker and more agile and i think he'll be more of a goal scorer.
yeah i can kinda see why people say he is like kanu, but as you say he will be a better player

i think he gives the team more than kanu does kanus a goal getter and just put it in the net we as welbeck has more movement and pace about him

its always good to have some good young gems at the club and lets hope he is nutured into a world class first team player and after all hes learning from the best in ole

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
One of my fav reserve player. I would rate him higher than Campbell if i didnt fall in love with (notice) Campbell first. Not only is his quick but he always have the eye for goal and is a clever player on the field..Im just glad he had a good debut and very pleased with it.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
he has played his first game for united already. now we will see how he would go on from here. for me, he is more complete than campbell.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
I can see the resemblance of playing style similar to Kanu, but I also see some Jermaine defoe in there, in the way he runs. So ball control and passing - Kanu, runs - defoe = potentially very good player.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Fantastic goal today on his Prem debut. This kid could be something special.
Delighted for him.

1 - 20 of 184 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.