Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first of all this thread has prob been done before but wanted to see views

Now for past couple of seasons people know its getting closer and closer and talk has begun as to what Manchester United football club will be like they day fergie retires

From rival teams fans iv been hearing you will fall, your never be the same, players like ronaldo etc will leave.

My only reaction to these comments is united has become such a big and illustrious club under the fergie reign that their is to much strength behind the club now both historically and financially for this to happen

but after the 80's we saw it all happen to liverpool and after the 60s it happened to us

So what does everyone think....when this terrible day does come what will happen to our club. will we stay at the same level? keep moving forward? or will we begin to slide down the table and see less and less silverware?

·
United's masseuse
6,296 Posts
When Fergie leaves it will be a sad day, United will keep on going tho, no one`s bigger than the club itself .

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Clarky101 said:
So what does everyone think....when this terrible day does come what will happen to our club. will we stay at the same level? keep moving forward? or will we begin to slide down the table and see less and less silverware?
Its hard to tell really. A lot will depend on who comes in and they will have a
near impossible act to follow. But what we do know is that Fergie will leave
the club in great shape, with lots of young players, continuity and stability.
It will be a horrible day when he does finally go (I actually think it will be later
than most others do, perhaps another 5 years) but we will have to move on
eventually, cos thats life.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
good discussion. be a sad day alright but all good tings must come to n end (cantona retiring, keane leaving). hopefully his replacement will be given time to make his mark on the club as it will be a huge task filling SAF's shoes.

·
Banned
9,926 Posts
It will be abloody sad day IMO...

I think/hope he stays with the club as a director like Sir Bobby and keeps involved. Either way, as Jazz said, he's preparing the club for the next manager to come in and carry on, and I don't care what sort of results he gets (the new manager) we HAVE to give him time and CAN'T become like Chelsea and other clubs where we sack on the spot. Give him at LEAST 3 seasons IMO and se ehow it goes.

We won't always win things in life and we will have dips, but its crucial that we hang onto the manager when we do, because what sort of feelings must he get when sacked after a few months, and how the hell must the person after him feel coming in, knowing that if he screws it he's gone.

I think Gill and others are sensible enough to give the manager time...

As for Fergie....I'll probably cry! :eek:

·
23,699 Posts
The most dreaded day has to come and will come. Besides the sadness and tears, the absence of his immense presence and stature will surely be most acutely felt that will resonate throughout the club from the ground staff to the fans.

True we have dealt with significant departures before eg Cantona, Schmeichel, Keane etc but they are still only players that are arguably easier to replace than a manager. I will not take it so lightly that it will be of the same and things will be hunkie dorie as usual.

It is not just about tactical knowledge or vast experiences and alike but more importantly, of core values and beliefs, the insatiable drive and desires, the right attitude, the mental toughness or fitness to be broader etc, in short, philosophy, that transend to the players on the pitch, turning them to a team of winners ever wanting to taste success again and again. In a long gruesome football season in which mental fatigues or weariness are often the demon rather than skills and class, such sustainability is only most pronounced and almost always the single most important factor that separates the winners from the also rans. So far we have been doing well to scrap through with a result while our rivals have been dropping points is a good example.

But it is also true it depends a lot on the next manager coming in to take over the reins. Trouble is it is not going to be easy at all to find somebody with a similar stature and influence, and I think we are all still clueless on who is the man to fill the shoes. Perhaps even Fergie himself. Just look at how Chelski been struggling to find the right man even with money at their disposal, with the latest desperate act to grab a manager with an existing national commitment as a stop-gap measure.

Well, we all would like to hope for the best but as things are currently, I am not too hopeful, being a realist and in perfect honesty. Who would imagine the invincible Liverpool in the 70s and early 80s could actually go down the slippery path for two decades and still counting is a good reality check.

We may have the same players and foundation laid but we also know damned well what big difference another manager can make, positively or negatively. It is just not going to be the same.

Besides, we have been enjoying unprecedented years of continuity under the same abstute manager and the corresponding successes that come with it; an exception rather than the norm, we must admit.

So is it all doom and gloom, and that all good things must indeed come to an end?

As much as I am a realist, I am also an optimist. My optimism lies with the traditions of the club and what this club is all about, springing alive from death on a certain 6th February.

We will surely rise again EVEN if it takes a while.

·
Registered
629 Posts
versa said:
The most dreaded day has to come and will come. Besides the sadness and tears, the absence of his immense presence and stature will surely be most acutely felt that will resonate throughout the club from the ground staff to the fans.

True we have dealt with significant departures before eg Cantona, Schmeichel, Keane etc but they are still only players that are arguably easier to replace than a manager. I will not take it so lightly that it will be of the same and things will be hunkie dorie as usual.

It is not just about tactical knowledge or vast experiences and alike but more importantly, of core values and beliefs, the insatiable drive and desires, the right attitude, the mental toughness or fitness to be broader etc, in short, philosophy, that transend to the players on the pitch, turning them to a team of winners ever wanting to taste success again and again. In a long gruesome football season in which mental fatigues or weariness are often the demon rather than skills and class, such sustainability is only most pronounced and almost always the single most important factor that separates the winners from the also rans. So far we have been doing well to scrap through with a result while our rivals have been dropping points is a good example.

But it is also true it depends a lot on the next manager coming in to take over the reins. Trouble is it is not going to be easy at all to find somebody with a similar stature and influence, and I think we are all still clueless on who is the man to fill the shoes. Perhaps even Fergie himself. Just look at how Chelski been struggling to find the right man even with money at their disposal, with the latest desperate act to grab a manager with an existing national commitment as a stop-gap measure.

Well, we all would like to hope for the best but as things are currently, I am not too hopeful, being a realist and in perfect honesty. Who would imagine the invincible Liverpool in the 70s and early 80s could actually go down the slippery path for two decades and still counting is a good reality check.

We may have the same players and foundation laid but we also know damned well what big difference another manager can make, positively or negatively. It is just not going to be the same.

Besides, we have been enjoying unprecedented years of continuity under the same abstute manager and the corresponding successes that come with it; an exception rather than the norm, we must admit.

So is it all doom and gloom, and that all good things must indeed come to an end?

As much as I am a realist, I am also an optimist. My optimism lies with the traditions of the club and what this club is all about, springing alive from death on a certain 6th February.

We will surely rise again EVEN if it takes a while.

Great Post :) . Couldn't have summed this situation any better.

·
Registered
177 Posts
A really terrible day when it does Happen, Without Fergie it will be so strange im not sure who would be up to the task of becoming manager.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
The day fergie leaves i think i will actually cry, he is an absolute legends to football not just man utd. Whoever takes over has some pretty big boots to fill.

·
Banned
9,511 Posts
In a way, I hope we do have a few years with no success. See whether the fans are in for the long haul or just until it starts getting tough. Most fans nowadays know nothing but success.

Before anyone starts, I obviously want United to be World Champions every season FWIW.

When Sir Alex does leave, personally I believe this will see the departure of Ryan Giggs, Paul Scholes, Gary Neville and a certain Mr Ronaldo. Ronaldo's said himself that he owes Sir Alex a lot, and I feel this is a major reason why he stayed. Without Fergie, he would have been out of the door without a backward glance.

Sir Alexwill stay at the club anyway, I'm 95% sure David Gill and himself have mentioned Fergie going upstairs and in the background, but being there for the new man to manage our club.

·
Registered
601 Posts
everyone kinda sees, hughes, keane, morinho as the next replacement. I also said the second best to fergie is mourinho, because he has done it all. But i changed my mind. I think the best replacement for fergie could be Steve Bruce. Managed well with brimingham and doin excelleent with wigan. He has made common sense buys and hasnt gon over the top. He seems to get the right players to do the job. But out of hughes and keane its gotta be Steve Bruce if not mourinho.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Stephen said:
Keane? Hughes? :D :D

Would never want either of them near the United job.

Martin O'Neill for me.
do you think if bruce had ahsley young and agbohnlohor, oh and also palacious, wigan would be up there with villa?

·
23,699 Posts
Stephen said:
Sir Alexwill stay at the club anyway, I'm 95% sure David Gill and himself have mentioned Fergie going upstairs and in the background, but being there for the new man to manage our club.
I am 100% David Gill mentioned that but 51% sure Fergie wanted a clean break.

Anybody else has any idea about it?

·
Registered
734 Posts
Stephen [B said:
In a way, I hope we do have a few years with no success. See whether the fans are in for the long haul or just until it starts getting tough. Most fans nowadays know nothing but success.[/B]

Before anyone starts, I obviously want United to be World Champions every season FWIW.

When Sir Alex does leave, personally I believe this will see the departure of Ryan Giggs, Paul Scholes, Gary Neville and a certain Mr Ronaldo. Ronaldo's said himself that he owes Sir Alex a lot, and I feel this is a major reason why he stayed. Without Fergie, he would have been out of the door without a backward glance.

i really hate statements like that its like what if your not born in such a year your not a real fan because you didnt suffer threw rough times pffft ******** sorry im 23, i think statements like that are pure shit your a fan or your not its easy pick a sunshine united fan out of a crowd but i wouldnt count them as anything they dont deserve respect.

anyway on topic id like Martin O Neil to take over, i said Ole before 2 but thats more a dream situation.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Lol. Versa.

Anyway it will be a sad day indeed. I will cry a lot I think :eek:. Very sad day.

Also Stephen yeah , even I would like to see how many people would still support us even if we have a few barren years :eek:

·
Banned
12,703 Posts
Well, Fergie did say that he would help find his successor so
I'm no that worried. I hope we don't become like Real Madrid
or Chelsea, though.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts