Manchester United Talk banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts
G

·
Stephen said:
In a way, I hope we do have a few years with no success. See whether the fans are in for the long haul or just until it starts getting tough. Most fans nowadays know nothing but success.
If we didn't have so many 'glory hunters' and 'day trippers', we wouldn't have enjoyed half of the success we've had over the last 15/16 years. Without the daytrippers spending money in the megastore and fans from abroad buying merchandise, our transfer budget would be a hell of a lot smaller and we wouldn't have Rooney, Berbatov or Ferdinand in our team, to name but a few.

We all know you go to a lot of games Ste, but some of the lads abroad sacrifice a lot to watch us play, like getting up at 4 in the morning because the time zone means that's when we kick off. It's not all about having a season ticket.

·
23,699 Posts
-zuco- said:
We all know you go to a lot of games Ste, but some of the lads abroad sacrifice a lot to watch us play, like getting up at 4 in the morning because the time zone means that's when we kick off. It's not all about having a season ticket.
To be more exact,

4 am for midweek PL game.

2.45 or 3.45 am for CL games.

Season after season....

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
versa said:
To be more exact,

4 am for midweek PL game.

2.45 or 3.45 am for CL games.

Season after season....
It's obviously a lot easier physically for north american supporters. But how long does your list of work excuses have to be?

Uh, I gotta leave early today because......

I'm going to a doctor, dentist, psychiatrist, proctologist appointment.
I've got physio for my (insert body part here).
I'm being audited.
My dog's having a hernia operation.
My wife's gone nuts.
I'm going to marriage counselling.
I'm getting divorced.
My sister's gone nuts.
My sister's getting divorced.
My parents are getting divorced.
My aunt, uncle, grandmonther, grandfather, cousin, friend is gravely ill.
It's St. Patrick's day ffs.
I'm in a golf, hockey, broomball, curling tournament.

And lastly, the trustworthy:

Ive just got problems. :p

·
Banned
9,511 Posts
trikam patel said:
do you think if bruce had ahsley young and agbohnlohor, oh and also palacious, wigan would be up there with villa?
But they don't. Anyway, I said I wouldn't want Keane or Hughes as United manager - would give Bruce a shot at it a few years down the line.

I think he's done great wherever he's gone.

Boomhauer50 said:
i really hate statements like that its like what if your not born in such a year your not a real fan because you didnt suffer threw rough times pffft ******** sorry im 23, i think statements like that are pure shit your a fan or your not its easy pick a sunshine united fan out of a crowd but i wouldnt count them as anything they dont deserve respect.
Yet, I never said that.

If you United had a few seasons getting overshadowed by City; relegation fighters; even getting relegated like what happened post glory years of the 60's - then a large number of "supporters" will give up on United, and won't be bothered.

You can't help when you are born. There are some top lads younger than 30, who are top genuine reds.

zuco said:
If we didn't have so many 'glory hunters' and 'day trippers', we wouldn't have enjoyed half of the success we've had over the last 15/16 years. Without the daytrippers spending money in the megastore and fans from abroad buying merchandise, our transfer budget would be a hell of a lot smaller and we wouldn't have Rooney, Berbatov or Ferdinand in our team, to name but a few.

If you look at the people in China, most of their United gear is fake anyway!!!

My comment wasn't about our fans abroad not being proper United fans, as there will be fairweather fans living in Manchester.

All I said was that I reckon a few barren years will seperate the proper fans of United, who will stick by their team through thick and thin, against the actual glory supporters who will jump ship when the going gets tough - whether they are from Manchester, London or New York is irrelevent.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Stephen said:
My comment wasn't about our fans abroad not being proper United fans, as there will be fairweather fans living in Manchester.

All I said was that I reckon a few barren years will seperate the proper fans of United, who will stick by their team through thick and thin, against the actual glory supporters who will jump ship when the going gets tough - whether they are from Manchester, London or New York is irrelevent.
i completly understand what your saying Stephen. Like all other clubs. if you look at Elland Road, stadium used to be fall everyweek week in week out and yet they suffer relegation and you start to see more and more empty seats each week. and if they get a team far far far down south in the league you can bet the away section wont be filled.

Iv always been happy to welcome to daytrippers iv said before they bring us our great players. but im sure if we start to fall and fall the daytrippers will find somewhere else. I mean its a lot of money to watch united if your coming from a diff country i could imagine. a lot of people wont find that money for Man Utd vs lets say Hereford (exaggeration i know) but i think thats what his trying to say (plus not all the abroad fans are daytrippers some really care but their are a lot that come to take a picture and never return)

anyway back to topic, versa great post, summed it up brilliantly. Hopefully Fergie gets to choose the new manager. Personally i would only take O'Neill OR Mourinho

·
Stretford Ender
2,270 Posts
Thats the beauty of football, no one can predict the future. 20 years ago. Nottingham Forest were beating us in nearly every game we played against them and Leeds United were on a march back to the top tier that would see them pip us to the league title.

Look at them now. Also, look at the bottom six of the championship, all former premier league sides. Just enjoy the here and now cos when its gone, so will a massive chunk of our so-called loyal fan base.

·
Stretford Ender
2,270 Posts
-zuco- said:

....It's not all about having a season ticket.
I dont think its the glory hunters that have got us where we are today. Its was one man Sir Alex Ferguson and some sublime signings that transformed us from a mid-table side into a title winning side

Peter Schmeichel - £530,000
Eric Cantona - £1 million
Andrei Kanchelskis - £650,000
Steve Bruce - £800,000
Denis Irwin - £650,000

These players brought success which pulled in the glory hunters and their money which then enabled the likes of cole, stam, keane and then loop continues

These fans are contributing to the sterile and muted atmosphere we get at all home games. Different fans each week means they aint a clue bout the songs the people round them and frankly dont know or care bout the heritage that is Manchester United. All they care bout is walking away with their Official Manchester United mouse mat.

·
The Mexican Boy George
7,601 Posts
antdevil78 said:
I dont think its the glory hunters that have got us where we are today. Its was one man Sir Alex Ferguson and some sublime signings that transformed us from a mid-table side into a title winning side

Peter Schmeichel - £530,000
Eric Cantona - £1 million
Andrei Kanchelskis - £650,000
Steve Bruce - £800,000
Denis Irwin - £650,000

These players brought success which pulled in the glory hunters and their money which then enabled the likes of cole, stam, keane and then loop continues

These fans are contributing to the sterile and muted atmosphere we get at all home games. Different fans each week means they aint a clue bout the songs the people round them and frankly dont know or care bout the heritage that is Manchester United. All they care bout is walking away with their Official Manchester United mouse mat.
the fact is that without these "glory hunters" we would not be where we are today. You point out the fees but with the current football economy you couldn't even buy a decent championship player with that. so please stop ripping on us foreign fans because the fact is you take us for granted. And without without us buying the merchandise which is more expensive buying it over here in America than buying it in england, or with us putting in thousands of dollars going over to england to watch a live game, or us waking up at 3am to catch a game we would be no better off than a villa or an everton because sadly in football money is the difference between a big club and a mid-table one.

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
Stephen said:
But they don't. Anyway, I said I wouldn't want Keane or Hughes as United manager - would give Bruce a shot at it a few years down the line.

I think he's done great wherever he's gone.

Yet, I never said that.

If you United had a few seasons getting overshadowed by City; relegation fighters; even getting relegated like what happened post glory years of the 60's - then a large number of "supporters" will give up on United, and won't be bothered.

You can't help when you are born. There are some top lads younger than 30, who are top genuine reds.

So you've seen most of the United fans in China, right? To make a blind statement like that, in an attempt to make is seem as if we don't get much money from the merchandise in Asia, its just stupidity.

I'm fully with Zuco on this one.

And all the names the antdevil78 mentioned were transfers from about 15 years ago! Its not ideal but the truth is the days of reasonable fees for top players are over, and the fact that we have so many fans, true fans or not, world wide, means we can afford to compete at the top level and bring in the best players, for all of us to enjoy.

All the big clubs have the glory hunting fans all over the globe, it drives them financially and enhanses the global reputation of the club which romantices us and makes top players want to join us.

Anyway on topic, its realy impossible to predict what will happen when he leaves. He will leave a gaping whole, that will take a seriously good manager to begin to fill. However I think when Fergie leaves the squad will be near enough complete, with a brilliant young generation coming through, so whoever to successor is will have the perfect tools at their disposal to continue the success that we have grown used to under Sir Alex Ferguson.

·
He wipes front to back
27,654 Posts
The more i see of david moyes the more i think he should be our next boss .

He brings young talent through .

He has prem experience

He will not back down --- see the rooney book sue for proof

he would still have something to prove whereas a foriegn coach thats won titles elsewhere would not .

And unlike say a mourinho he would stay around

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Richie said:
So you've seen most of the United fans in China, right? To make a blind statement like that, in an attempt to make is seem as if we don't get much money from the merchandise in Asia, its just stupidity.

I'm fully with Zuco on this one.

And all the names the antdevil78 mentioned were transfers from about 15 years ago! Its not ideal but the truth is the days of reasonable fees for top players are over, and the fact that we have so many fans, true fans or not, world wide, means we can afford to compete at the top level and bring in the best players, for all of us to enjoy.

All the big clubs have the glory hunting fans all over the globe, it drives them financially and enhanses the global reputation of the club which romantices us and makes top players want to join us.

Anyway on topic, its realy impossible to predict what will happen when he leaves. He will leave a gaping whole, that will take a seriously good manager to begin to fill. However I think when Fergie leaves the squad will be near enough complete, with a brilliant young generation coming through, so whoever to successor is will have the perfect tools at their disposal to continue the success that we have grown used to under Sir Alex Ferguson.
once again, great post Richie.

and Hags, I think you could be right about Moyes. Another no nonsense Scot could do well at OT.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Stephen said:
Thats the most sensible comment Ive read all day.

That true. Many people here by fake stuff. But its really bad when people buy stuff which they dont know is fake and pay some idiot - who makes all the money :eek: ... happened to my friend once. :eek:

Thats correct. Man United supporter living in Manchester doesnt make one an all time supporter.

Ive been reading posts and all of them imply that all United fans outside Manchester are not "TRUE" Fans :rolleyes: :mad:

I see where you are coming from. You need to stick with your team even if the team isnt doing well.

Conclusion : We are supporters of United not Supporters of wins , trophies and glory. :cool:

and...............

............pz!

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
haggler said:
The more i see of david moyes the more i think he should be our next boss .

He brings young talent through .

He has prem experience

He will not back down --- see the rooney book sue for proof

he would still have something to prove whereas a foriegn coach thats won titles elsewhere would not .

And unlike say a mourinho he would stay around
I absolutely agree. I was actually thinking that last night when I was watching the FA Cup highlights.

Great shout hags.

·
Registered
601 Posts
every time i hear moyes on here and the results and performances he is getting is changing my mind to giving moyes the man utd manager job. I guess its better to say that as long as the manager has the ability to win the prem is the right manager for the club and moyes has been arround has experience and has don a great job with everton. i wouldnt say the fa cup, carling cup or cl woould be top priority if a new manager stepped in.

Didnt fergy have someone in mind, that saf would consider having as the new boss of OT?.

·
GET YOUR HEAD OUT THE PUSSY CLOUDS & IN THE GAME
2,659 Posts
Only time will tell, but i still have a feeling Carlos Quieroz will be back after the 2010 world cup and will manage us to more sucsess

·
Banned
9,511 Posts
Richie said:
Not first hand, as going to Asia doesn't interest me. (not yet anyway)

However, I've heard loads and loads of stories of reds who went to Japan for the world club cup in December. They noted the passion that the Asian reds show United, and how much MUFC are in their lives.

However, the Asians would buy anything with Manchester United on, and there are loads of unofficial merchandise around.

Unofficial stuff is better than the official crap anyway.

·
Registered
601 Posts
sean2689 said:
Only time will tell, but i still have a feeling Carlos Quieroz will be back after the 2010 world cup and will manage us to more sucsess
Yeah that would be awsome to have quiroz back. But a lot of people say he is only best at being he number 2.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Stephen said:
If Moyes coming means the end of Rooney.

Then I know which one I'd prefer to be at United post-Fergie.
I think thats the past, they msut have moved on, wat happened with the rooney and moyes i forgot. Dont really see why they can not work together again. If its that bad then its best not to have moyes. Rooney is the man at OT and always will be.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts