Manchester United Talk banner
41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
If there was to be any problem between Moyes and Rooney if Moyes came then one, or both of them, need to grow up imho.

Although saying that, that's one of the reasons why he won't be hired.

·
Stretford Ender
2,270 Posts
migueldadon said:
the fact is that without these "glory hunters" we would not be where we are today. You point out the fees but with the current football economy you couldn't even buy a decent championship player with that. so please stop ripping on us foreign fans because the fact is you take us for granted. And without without us buying the merchandise which is more expensive buying it over here in America than buying it in england, or with us putting in thousands of dollars going over to england to watch a live game, or us waking up at 3am to catch a game we would be no better off than a villa or an everton because sadly in football money is the difference between a big club and a mid-table one.

the fees would be equivalent today of buying schmeichel for 5-6 million or Cantona for 6-7 million. My point was that these amazing buys have brought success = money = fans = success = more money = more fans. Saying that you buy a wayne rooney mug for 9.99 dont mean we will win the league next season.

For the point that we take foreign supporters for granted, i disagree. We just get a bit annoyed when you do finally come to united for your only EVER game and treat the club and what goes around it like a tourist attraction like a theme park. People who go week in week out dont appreciate getting 'johnny foreigner' coming along and taking 2,000 pictures of the turnstile they used to show everyone back home.

Lastly, your points bout paying more for merchandise and getting up at stupid times for games. Do these two both validate your argument for supporting united. It seems you get up at 3am for united games not because you want to watch united but because you want to come on here say what you do and for us all to go "WOW!!! He is a great supporter". You either want to watch us or you dont. Whether that is 3am or 3pm, its your choice, if you buy the expensive MUFC tat again, its your choice.

·
Arse Bandito
1,527 Posts
firstly, on the actual topic, i think martin o'neill has to be the number one candidate. i was on the train home yesterday and got chatting to a villa fan and we quickly moved onto martin o'neill. he told us that he is absolutely ecstatic with the performances, and that bringing champions league football back to villa would give him near legendary station. however, many villa fans were acutely aware that he is not the man who would take them higher, towards league trophies, or challenges. they accept that soon his time will come to move on to another challenge. they just fear that similarly to leicester and celtic, there will be a hangover after he leaves. something that i think we also fear after fergie. either way, he is my choice. if quieroz was still there, he would be a shoe in, but i can't see anyone in the current set up who is well positioned to take over. as said earlier, quieroz could come back, and i don't think he would be a bad choice, i just don't really see it happening. o neill is my number one choice, although bruce might be a good thought a few years down the line. i suppose it depends if fergie is bluffing again about retirement. it will be a sad day when he goes. do we think he will announce it in advance as he planned to last time, or wait until a post-season.
just imagine his final game! would he have a testimonial?

on the subject of whether we would lose fans, and what makes a fan, and how much they contribute etc etc, there is a different view from everybody, which is why there is such a forum for debate. my view is that if we were to falter post-fergie and we wanted to get back towards the top very quickly, then shirt sales, merchandise etc would be as essential as we are now. however, i can see the argument of some fans that a sustained period of being a mid table, even a top 6 side would mean that there were less youngsters flocking to support us, and dare i say it, there would be a few people who would desert us. i appreciate that everyone makes their own sacrifice, but would it be worth waking up at 4am to watch us play at scunthorpe or wycombe. more importantly, if you aren't in a position to get to old trafford, would you even be able to see a live feed of the game? i'm sure there would be multiple tv companies that would desert us if we became a mid-table side. would it not then be easier to catch the team in vogue if not united. perhaps some part of the issue is that although many mancunians, londoners or any regular match goers may desert, there would still be a hardcore who were ABLE to see us regularly.

·
23,699 Posts
antdevil78 said:
For the point that we take foreign supporters for granted, i disagree. We just get a bit annoyed when you do finally come to united for your only EVER game and treat the club and what goes around it like a tourist attraction like a theme park. People who go week in week out dont appreciate getting 'johnny foreigner' coming along and taking 2,000 pictures of the turnstile they used to show everyone back home.

Lastly, your points bout paying more for merchandise and getting up at stupid times for games. Do these two both validate your argument for supporting united. It seems you get up at 3am for united games not because you want to watch united but because you want to come on here say what you do and for us all to go "WOW!!! He is a great supporter". You either want to watch us or you dont. Whether that is 3am or 3pm, its your choice, if you buy the expensive MUFC tat again, its your choice.
As I have said before, if you are a Barca fan and visiting Nou Camp for "your only EVER game", I would be really surprised if you don't snap pictures "to show everyone back home" or for sweet memories.

If you have nothing to do with United, I would be really surprised if you get up at 3 am to watch or buy anything remotely linked to MUFC.

I wish somebody would say those who go to games like your goodself are doing so "because you want to come on here say what you do and for us all to go "WOW!!! He is a great supporter"". But it won't be me.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
antdevil78 said:
...For the point that we take foreign supporters for granted, i disagree. We just get a bit annoyed when you do finally come to united for your only EVER game and treat the club and what goes around it like a tourist attraction like a theme park. People who go week in week out dont appreciate getting 'johnny foreigner' coming along and taking 2,000 pictures of the turnstile they used to show everyone back home.....
Could you please explain what, exactly, about this bothers you?

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
It is apparent to me from posts on this thread that some supporters would only be truly happy if they, and they alone, became the sole remaining fan at Old Trafford, of a beleaguered and failing, non-league United.

You would finally be able to say, to no one in particular: 'You see, I told you. All the rest were glory hunters. I am the true fan'.

·
23,699 Posts
moondog said:
It is apparent to me from posts on this thread that some supporters would only be truly happy if they, and they alone, became the sole remaining fan at Old Trafford, of a beleaguered and failing, non-league United.

You would finally be able to say, to no one in particular: 'You see, I told you. All the rest were glory hunters. I am the true fan'.
Better still if it becomes a neighbourhood club in which friends and relatives can afford to attend together regularly as an outing and have a good laugh.

Seriously though, there are already numerous posts and even a Real Fan thread here that was closed but apparently to no avail. Pride is foolish and usually stubborn too.

And it is slowly but surely getting onto the nerves of the 'foreign fans', I must add.

·
Registered
11 Posts
This may be hearsay, but I would pick O'Neill over Quieroz any day of the week. Quieroz is a great lieutenant to bark at players to get in shape, but really doesn't have the personality/savvy to be a number one. His time at Real Madrid? Absolute disaster

41 - 48 of 48 Posts