Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should they get relegated, could this be the last time we see them in the premiership?

We all know what happens to the more "unattractive" clubs, once they feel the drop of late:
  1. Charlton- currently rooted to the bottom of the championship
  2. Bradford- enjoying League 2 at the moment
  3. Southampton- currently in a relegation dogfight in the championship
  4. Nottingham Forest- same as Southampton and just won promotion from League 1
  5. Leeds- LMAO
  6. Leicester- Just relegated to League One
  7. Swindon- Lower end of the table in League One
  8. Wimbledon- Ended operations as of 2004
A lot of these clubs are either in small market areas, or like the London-based clubs, suffer from being the smaller clubs in the City.

Blackburn doesn't have the cash from their title winning days, could this be it for them if Big Sam doesn't get it done?

·
Banned
9,511 Posts
Nah, they still have a good crop of players. Sam will sort them out.

A lot depends on whether they can keep Santa Cruz in January though.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I was thinking of this the other day. But a bit like Reading I think Blackburn would have enough class to come back up, they would lose key players such as Santa Cruz, Pedersen etc. But they would also be bale to keep hold of class players like Samba, maybe Robinson, Warnock among others.

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Stephen said:
Nah, they still have a good crop of players. Sam will sort them out.

A lot depends on whether they can keep Santa Cruz in January though.
I'm sure Big Sam will get the job done too, look what he Did with Bolton, and he's got better players in Blackburn.

All I'm saying is if the unthinkable happens, they're probably screwed, especially since they were being tipped to compete for Europe, to wind up relegated would cause their already small (70% attendance) fanbase to shrink even more.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Blackburn have been relegated and got back to PL. I dont really know the situation in Rovers but I'll ask my friend who dont know anything about football, he's a Rovers fan.:D

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
spellbound said:
Blackburn have been relegated and got back to PL. I dont really know the situation in Rovers but I'll ask my friend who dont know anything about football, he's a Rovers fan.:D
They had a lot of cash back then, and had just won a title, they've had a barren run since then. If I were your friend I'd be quite worried.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
i think big sam will keep them up ,its a very similar club to bolton and sam will get them firing again.
if they did go down then the curse of the big wage could possibly see them crumble like you have shown us.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
piazza said:
They had a lot of cash back then, and had just won a title, they've had a barren run since then. If I were your friend I'd be quite worried.
I remember him telling it will be a struggle this year when Ince was appointed and Robinson was bought to replace one of the 3 most important Rovers players, Friedel.
And icing on the cake was Fowler on trial.:eek:

And yes, money situation was different back then in mid and late 90's. And that is why Agent Sparky wanted a move to Al Ciddeh to be able to spend a bit during transfer season.

I still think Transfer Sam will keep Rovers up but maybe more because there's three poorer teams then there's Rover class.

S

·
0 Posts
Big Sam will sort them out and they'll stay up no worries.

By the way Pizza, you have a strange view of English teams and England in particular. :D

# Southampton
# Nottingham Forest
# Leeds
# Leicester

Non of those are small market areas or suffer from being the smaller clubs in the City.

Charlton ( overshadowed by bigger London clubs )
Bradford ( overshowed by Lids, :eek: might be the other way round really :D )
Swindon (market town ).

·
He wipes front to back
27,654 Posts
i have to agree with pizza boy --- if they go down they will struggle big time .

we have a warped view as they always raise game against us but i see them right among the dead men this year

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
SALFORD RED said:
Big Sam will sort them out and they'll stay up no worries.

By the way Pizza, you have a strange view of English teams and England in particular. :D

# Southampton
# Nottingham Forest
# Leeds
# Leicester

Non of those are small market areas or suffer from being the smaller clubs in the City.

Charlton ( overshadowed by bigger London clubs )
Bradford ( overshowed by Lids, :eek: might be the other way round really :D )
Swindon (market town ).

You can't say Southampton is a big market, they have less fans than Portsmouth, as far as Forest goes, from what I read in Roy Keane's book Forest's problems were always that they didn't get a lot of money, since they weren't famous anymore, and they weren't from London/Liverpool/Manchester/Birmingham.

Leicester isn't really that big, compared to other cities.

As far as Leeds goes, nobody cares about the sheep-lovers anyway, and the average elland road crowd is somewhere south of 1000 people and most of them are the vendors selling knock-off shirts outside.

·
He wipes front to back
27,654 Posts
piazza said:
You can't say Southampton is a big market, they have less fans than Portsmouth, as far as Forest goes, from what I read in Roy Keane's book Forest's problems were always that they didn't get a lot of money, since they weren't famous anymore, and they weren't from London/Liverpool/Manchester/Birmingham.

As far as Leeds goes, nobody cares about the sheep-lovers anyway, and the average elland road crowd is somewhere south of 1000 people and most of them are the vendors selling knock-off shirts outside.
leeds get near 30000 southampton is bigger than portsmouth

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
haggler said:
leeds get near 30000 southampton is bigger than portsmouth
Really? Cause the owner of Oldham was on the radio here in the states and he was talking about how the crowds in League One are small, and Leeds get the most with 15,000 on average. Perhaps he was using some hyperbole, but either way, I won an Oldham kit.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
haggler said:
southampton average attendance in league 1 is 23000

fratton park capacity is around 20000 ----

in prem southampton often got 29000

bolton is usually among lowest crowd in prem
A bit off topic but how many did see Derby lose every game?:D

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
haggler said:
southampton average attendance in league 1 is 23000

fratton park capacity is around 20000 ----

in prem southampton often got 29000

bolton is usually among lowest crowd in prem
Southampton is in the Championship. Or do you mean Leeds?

I saw the figures on Sky Sports News, Blackburn is 20th and Bolton is 19th.

The size of your stadium means nowt to how big of a club you are, Highbury didn't hold that many people, less that 40K by the time they left, and to say Spurs were bigger is kind of a joke.

S

·
0 Posts
piazza said:

lol, Leicester is the 10th biggest city in England. ( Manchestr 9th)
Nottingham 18th.
Lids 5th
Southampton 20th.
(Not including urban areas)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_largest_United_Kingdom_settlements_by_population

·
He wipes front to back
27,654 Posts
big clubs in england -- man utd - liverpool -- arsenal-- everton---chelsea----newcastle-----man city ---- tottenham-----leeds----aston villa----sunderland---birmingham----west ham .

southampton are bigger than bolton wigan reading fulham hull etc

1 - 20 of 35 Posts