Manchester United Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Exactly, it's because of the high standards this club has set themselves that, a domestic treble is been overlooked this season so far.. I mean we have won the WCC and the Carling Cup already and we are still in 3 other major competitions, but everyone is expecting us to win the lot..!
It's because of the media that this "untouchables" tag was pinned on us and everyone was saying that this was the greatest United team ever etc.. So everyone automatically thought we were going to win everything.. I think when everyone look at this season in a whole, they will recognise what a huge success it's been so far and how much greater it could be..!
Like Jazz said, IF we were to lose to porto it's not the end of the world, there's still that domestic treble to win, but lets keep the faith on winning in Portugal.. We need to take one game at a time..!

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Cheers for that Jazz...well that didnt sound as bad then...i like the thought of us being the first to everything. But still it would be nice if we could still be the first english team to retain the CL trophy :p
If we did win the CL this year, we would be the first European team ever to retain the CL(not just english), since it was renamed the Champions League istead of the European Cup..!
Like you said, I love being first to win everything aswell:D

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
It's the same competition.

The competition was renamed the Champions League in 1992..
Since this date, no team has retained the CL title..
We have the chance to be the first this season..!

Before this it was called the European Cup and like Jazz said, Milan were the last team to retain it..

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Yeah you're right, we're competing to be the first team to retain it in the new format, not the whole competition.

I was just trying to make the point for those who may not realise that the change of now signified more than just a change of name.
Well said Richie:thumbsup:, some of them didnt realise that it was a knockout format before 1992, when it was known as the European Cup.. It wasn't just the name that changed in 1992, it was the whole format aswell..!

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
It was a replacement, the whole format did change but its basis is still the same, it still determines Europe`s best team.
Yeah I know it still determines Europe's best team each season..!
The point I was making earlier on the previous page, was the fact that no other European team has won the CL two years in a row since the new format in 1992..
Then I said how great it would be, if we were the first team to achieve this..!

I know what your saying, it's still the same competition, but there was changes made to make it a league format.. And by doing so I think made it more difficult to win.. So if were the first team to win it back to back, I think it would be a rather spendid achievement..:D:D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts