Manchester United Talk banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
850 Posts
In a sense it is yeah, but It was renamed the Champions League as its in an entirely different format as it used to be. So in many ways its also a different competition.:)
Yeah it's different format.. but if now anyone asks how many CL does united have you'll answer 3 ,but not all of them have been won after 1992 so i mean that the titles from the both names of this competition counts as one... and when someone say that no one have won CL in 2 years one after another he means that no one has done that after 1992..

and can anyone answer me:
so how many trophies have we won this season? The World Cup,Carling Cup and Community Shield??Does community shield counts??Of it count's we can win maximum 6 trophies not 5?

·
United's masseuse
6,296 Posts
Yeah it's different format.. but if now anyone asks how many CL does united have you'll answer 3 ,but not all of them have been won after 1992 so i mean that the titles from the both names of this competition counts as one... and when someone say that no one have won CL in 2 years one after another he means that no one has done that after 1992..

For me the Community Shield makes part of last season, as the teams were picked up from last season`s competitions.

EDIT; Anyways, i`ve been thinking about this .. it makes no sense .. as the CL`s teams are picked up on the previous seasons top 4 too :confused:

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts

Yeah you're right, we're competing to be the first team to retain it in the new format, not the whole competition.

I was just trying to make the point for those who may not realise that the change of now signified more than just a change of name.

·
Banned
9,511 Posts
yh yh i kno .. even the CL.
Well not the Champions League as that starts again eachseason, if you get me.

Like you said with the CS, you can only get in their if you win the league or cup the season before.
It's the same with the WCC, as you can only get in there if you win the CL the season before.

·
Registered
850 Posts
The charity shield was this season , but no one counts that.
If we win everything we will win the quint.
Prem, FA, CC, CL, World Club)

The community shield is between the FA and the Prem winner ,right? So what if one team wins the both of them?Then no one wins community shield or?

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Yeah you're right, we're competing to be the first team to retain it in the new format, not the whole competition.

I was just trying to make the point for those who may not realise that the change of now signified more than just a change of name.
Well said Richie:thumbsup:, some of them didnt realise that it was a knockout format before 1992, when it was known as the European Cup.. It wasn't just the name that changed in 1992, it was the whole format aswell..!

·
Banned
9,511 Posts
The community shield is between the FA and the Prem winner ,right? So what if one team wins the both of them?Then no one wins community shield or?
League winners plays cup winners.
If both the same, the league runner-up plays the champions.

·
United's masseuse
6,296 Posts
Well not the Champions League as that starts again eachseason, if you get me.

Like you said with the CS, you can only get in their if you win the league or cup the season before.
It's the same with the WCC, as you can only get in there if you win the CL the season before.
Yeps, innit.

I`m still confused if the CS makes part of this season or not .. Not that i count that much anyways, just another thing to add to the trophy room :thumbsup:

·
Banned
9,511 Posts
Well said Richie:thumbsup:, some of them didnt realise that it was a knockout format before 1992, when it was known as the European Cup.. It wasn't just the name that changed in 1992, it was the whole format aswell..!
I find it amazing that the European Cup completly changed format, but people still say United won it 3 times (and rightly so).

But all the league had was a name change, and the format stayed the same, but people then say that we've only won it 10 times.

·
Banned
9,511 Posts
Yeps, innit.

I`m still confused if the CS makes part of this season or not .. Not that i count that much anyways, just another thing to add to the trophy room :thumbsup:
Yeah, I don't know whether to class it as this season or last season either. It's an odd one, I find it as a cheap trip to Wembley for anyone unfortunate to not afford or couldn't go the last time United were there.

·
United's masseuse
6,296 Posts
It was a replacement, the whole format did change but its basis is still the same, it still determines Europe`s best team.

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
I find it amazing that the European Cup completly changed format, but people still say United won it 3 times (and rightly so).

But all the league had was a name change, and the format stayed the same, but people then say that we've only won it 10 times.
Yeah thats true. But that also allows us to say the scousers have never won it :rofl:

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
It was a replacement, the whole format did change but its basis is still the same, it still determines Europe`s best team.
Yeah I know it still determines Europe's best team each season..!
The point I was making earlier on the previous page, was the fact that no other European team has won the CL two years in a row since the new format in 1992..
Then I said how great it would be, if we were the first team to achieve this..!

I know what your saying, it's still the same competition, but there was changes made to make it a league format.. And by doing so I think made it more difficult to win.. So if were the first team to win it back to back, I think it would be a rather spendid achievement..:D:D

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
Well, that's debatable. It determines the best team on the night. A knockout format doesn't reward consistency.

If you look at the season objectively Liverpool have been better than Chelsea this year at least. The table reflects this.

Yet that didn't have any bearing when the Blues came knocking at Anfield.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts