Manchester United Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed a few threads on fergie's departure in a few years. As far as I can tell there doesn't seem to be a long term plan to groom a manager properly to replace him.

Let me illustrate what I mean. It would seem logical to take some young or middle-aged manager (eg hughes , keane , bruce etc) and have him as assistant to fergie for his last 3-4 years on the understanding he would take over. Fergie could then pass on all his knowledge and experience and philosophy to this person with a view to continuing the dynasty. He could become a kind of fergie mark 2 , a bit like paisley was to shankly.

Ok , so I know that fergie in one sense is irreplacable , BUT there must be some way of passing on the essence of his approach and letting an assistant become trained in the "fergie secret". This sort of thing happens in all walks of life. A master carpenter passes on his secrets to the next generation and so forth. It happens in business too.

So why is fergie not being given total freedom to groom whoever he thinks is right for the job in the right way to ensure continuity? Success is such a delicate thing , have we become complacent?

My fear is that the chance to keep things going will fall between our fingers and someone will come in from the outside and start to take apart what fergie has built. We really really need someone who absolutely understands WHAT it is that has happened at OT since 1986 and WHY the success has flowed.

I personally do not see the signs that this is being thought through properly. The board should go to fergie and ask him how they might best continue his success. Maybe they have already , have I missed something?

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
but still good post Des, in an ideal world it would be done like you suggested
but its never going to happen like that.-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But it does in many situations. I don't think we should be trying to create a fergie clone (remember paisley was his own man) but we must do something to keep the continuity going. For example , many of the issues fergie dealt with were not football issues as such ( eg paul mcgrath , robson , drinking club etc) . We don't want a return to that.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just believe that no matter how long a number two spends with Fergie, he will not become him. ---------moondog--------------------

Paisley was his own man but there was still continuity and more success. Can't we do the same ? The comparisons between fergie and shankly are numerous and liverpud somehow managed to continue a relatively seamless transistion into even more success - are we doing the same?

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
RESPONSE TO red force rising

You seem to be suffering from selective memory problems. I never said that fergie should go or that he wasn't an incredible manager. I just thought (and still think) that the whole approach of sitting on a lead and inviting the other team on to us was ineffective. Many agreed with me. If I had started a "fergie out" campaign then fair enough - lambast me .

I don't remember you coming up with one single intelligent argument to counter what I was saying at the time. All you seemed to say was that anyone who criticised fergie's tactics must be a fool because the man is not of this world and is beyond any criticism. Such an approach is unthinking and simplistic. If you have nothing intelligent to offer what is an entirely valid tactical debate (which is probably beyond you) then just keep quiet.

If we ever met with fergie (the two of us) he would no doubt praise me for not worshipping him unconditionally as some demi -god and view you as a snivelling creep who thinks he never could make a mistake. He's no doubt considered many of the same issues that I brought up back then but decided that on balance he was right to play it the way he did. I disagree , but i think Fergie would understand why I might disagree , whereas in you all he would see is a "yes" man.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Ah .... more fun reading.

Yes, yes, the most decorated manager in football history cannot see what's going on in front of him, but desmondo then wants him to mentor our next manager.

I also just remembered that you think Sir Alex Ferguson is scared of Berbatov.

Please ask your 10 year old to kick you in the balls and then please .....

END YOURSELF!!!
I'm getting bored of being hounded by the likes of you.

If you had any sense you would realise that I didn't actually literally mean fergie was scared of Berba.It was a turn of phrase. My 10 year old CAN at least kick me in the balls , whereas you seem to be yet another "fergie can do wrong" member of the United thought-police. If you got kicked there you probably wouldn't feel it. You haven't got the balls to call an appalling performance appalling when it's right there in front of you. Maybe the view from inside Sir Alex's rectal cavity is not too great?

Having said that he is still the best man to mentor our next manager. What we want is a Shankly/Paisley scenario (and no-one can say Paisley wasn't his own man). But fergie did not arrive on this planet on a chariot you know........ :rofl:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts