Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Italy's top football division Serie A is poised to split from Serie B to form a new league Lega Calcio Serie A.

The two divisions have been unable to reach an agreement over finance and Serie A is set to copy the formation of England's Premier League.

The Premier League increased its share of television revenue after breaking away from the other divisions in 1992.

"Nineteen Serie A clubs today decided to create the 'Lega Calcio Serie A'," said a statement by the new league.

"The decision was made because of the impossibility of reaching an understanding with the Serie B clubs" the statement added.

Italian top-flight clubs are determined to close the gap on Premier League sides, who have increasingly dominated European competition.

The Premier League is the richest in the world and has had three teams in the semi-finals of the Champions League for the last two seasons, while top-flight English sides have been involved in the competitions last four finals.

It is believed that only relegated-threatened Lecce voted against the proposal for Serie A to split from Serie B, the only other fully professional division in Italy.

"We have created a new league for Serie A," said Palermo president Maurizio Zamparini after Thursday's meeting. "This time it's for real. I'm not happy but it was necessary."

Maurizio Beretta, the former head of Italy's employers' association, has been proposed as the president of the new league.

But the formation of Lega Calcio Serie A leaves the current Serie B facing an uncertain future.

The second-tier division did not have a television agreement last season and only struck a new one shortly before the start of the current campaign, while many clubs in the division have recently experienced financial problems.

Linkage

·
Member of the Year 2012 & 2013
43,914 Posts
If Serie A's revenues go up maybe this could be a renaissance of Italian football.
agreed, but does anybody know which of the 20 current serie a clubs has not agreed to it as it only mentions 19 will be in the new lega calcio?

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
If Serie A's revenues go up maybe this could be a renaissance of Italian football.
It's hard to tell as they have fallen behind the PL so dramatically in the last few years.
The Calciopoli and violence amongst fans are the main reasons behind the degeneration of Italian football.
The PL has stormed ahead as has La Liga and they won't be caught, so I doubt any renaissance will happen. It's a shame but they made the mistakes in the first place so it's hard to be too sympathetic.
For the record I do like Italian footall, just not as much as before.

agreed, but does anybody know which of the 20 current serie a clubs has not agreed to it as it only mentions 19 will be in the new lega calcio?
If you had read the full article you would know it was Lecce. :laugh:

·
Member of the Year 2012 & 2013
43,914 Posts
It's hard to tell as they have fallen behind the PL so dramatically in the last few years.
The Calciopoli and violence amongst fans are the main reasons behind the degeneration of Italian football.
The PL has stormed ahead as has La Liga and they won't be caught, so I doubt any renaissance will happen. It's a shame but they made the mistakes in the first place so it's hard to be too sympathetic.
For the record I do like Italian footall, just not as much as before.

If you had read the full article you would know it was Lecce. :laugh:
ah :D - as far as the la liga goes, i don't think that has stormed ahead of italy, it's probably the better league but noy by much if at all really, i think this might help italia regain that crown

PS off topic but why so much rebranding next year? Europa League, now this? all money driven IMO

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
ah :D - as far as the la liga goes, i don't think that has stormed ahead of italy, it's probably the better league but noy by much if at all really, i think this might help italia regain that crown
You are right. La Liga hasn't stormed ahead. I only threw them into the equation as I was typing.

PS off topic but why so much rebranding next year? Europa League, now this? all money driven IMO
It's all about image and money. They need to change and modernise to keep up with the rest. It's all about the Prem and CL these days. No one gives a shit about the Uefa cup. Rebranding/imaging the cup will bring more sponsors, money and rewards for winning it etc. It had to be done and I think it will be good for football. Serie A needs to catch up and the Europa league wil be more interesting. Better teams in it as well these days.

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
Obviously resorting to desperate measures here, not that its a bad idea, but clearly they thought something drastic had to be done. Italian football has fell apart since the big scandal a few years ago.

·
Banned
12,703 Posts
Obviously resorting to desperate measures here, not that its a bad idea, but clearly they thought something drastic had to be done. Italian football has fell apart since the big scandal a few years ago.
Everyone feels a bit mistreated by the governing bodies and they're
not all wrong. The amount of corruption and favours involved is
embarassing and Calciopoli wasn't all. Inter's run at the end of last
year, when they need 3 points out of 21 or so available and only got
them on the last day of the season was curious, as was Juventus' last
game in Serie B, just to name a few.

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
Everyone feels a bit mistreated by the governing bodies and they're
not all wrong. The amount of corruption and favours involved is
embarassing and Calciopoli wasn't all. Inter's run at the end of last
year, when they need 3 points out of 21 or so available and only got
them on the last day of the season was curious, as was Juventus' last
game in Serie B, just to name a few.
Yeah absolutely the whole thing is riddled with curruption and has been for a long time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts