Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
23,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could not locate the Nani Discussion Thread and again, only 16 pages of Man Utd Chat? :confused:

If any mod can locate it, please merge them...

Thought this might be more uplifting since we are so used to the Nani-bashing here.

manutd.com

Focus on... Nani

At the equivalent stage last season, Nani was playing a crucial role in United’s march to Premier League and Champions League success.

The livewire Portuguese winger played an important part in seeing off Lyon, Roma and Barcelona in the knockout stages of 2007/08’s European Cup campaign, and although he received his marching orders in United’s final home match of the season – a 4-1 romp against West Ham – he headed for Euro 2008 having impressed many eminent observers in his first full season in English football.

Former United winger Gordon Hill was among them. Hill is a man who knows his wide men, spending three seasons getting chalk on his boots at Old Trafford, scoring more than 50 goals and helping the Reds to 1977 FA Cup final victory against Liverpool. Now living in Dallas, Hill sees much of the old-fashioned winger in Nani, but believes that the 22-year-old needs to become a more reliable source of creativity if he is going to build upon his impressive first campaign.

“When you get a good winger, he’s worth his weight in gold,” Hill told United Review. “Nani has fantastic ability – he has pace and can score spectacular goals. But what he’s lacking at the moment is that consistency to torment full-backs week-in, week-out.”

That reliability was Hill’s stock-intrade, as he and a young Steve Coppell gave top-flight defenders sleepless nights in the mid to late-1970s. However, he acknowledges that the Premier League today is very different to the First Division that he and the current Reading boss knew back then.

“When I was at Old Trafford, the manager [Tommy Docherty/Dave Sexton] used to pick a team from a core of 12 or 13 players,” says Hill. “Now Sir Alex has a squad of more than 30 to choose from. The benefit of this is that players like Nani will be relatively fresh if they’re called on as the season draws to a close. The downside, though, is that as a young player if you don’t do the business when you’re called up, you could be back on the bench and have to wait a while for your next opportunity to come along.”

Nani has reserved his best performances in United colours this season for cup competitions, with his sole league goal coming in the Reds’ 4-0 home demolition of West Brom back in October. Hill, however, believes there’s more to come from a player who’s still learning his craft, and will hopefully reproduce the form he showed this time last term.

“This educational period will be well spent, and as a young player he couldn’t be at a better club,” says Hill. “He has to work hard to remind the manager that he’s capable of doing a great job for United. When I’ve seen him recently he has tended to drift in from the right wing, but he needs to stay out wide and really get at his defender. He’s an artist – he can create goals and score them, too. He just needs to do it on a more regular basis.”

·
Banned
16,009 Posts
Good article.:thumbsup:

Tbh, I thought Nani did well on Wednesday night. He ran down the clock and didn't give the ball away cheaply. He did exactly what we wanted him to do. Decent performance overall and i'm normally hugely critical of the guy. We haven't heard him sulk or moan about not playing eitehr which shows he must have a good temperment.

I think the problem is that the rotation policy we employ really doesn't suit him. He thrives for prolonged spells in the first team, that on top of the SSS(second season syndrome) have really hampered his performances.

I for one am more than happy for him to remain. He is still quite young and he seems to have developed well physicially over this season. He looks stronger. This will hopefully mean he will not be shoved off the ball as easily as in the past.

I still think Nani could have a fairly big part to play in the run-in. He has that 'X-Factor' that can get a goal from nothing. He showed great confidence to slot home the penalty in the CL final too. Who knows we might need to call on him for something similiar again this year?

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
Could not locate the Nani Discussion Thread and again, only 16 pages of Man Utd Chat? :confused:

If any mod can locate it, please merge them...
Threads are being archived after they become 1 month old. :thumbsup:

If you check the date of the last replies on the last page of the forums you'll see they are 18th March.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
yes, both anderson and Nani have suffered from the SSS and the rotation. i guess both of them would be playing more next season. giggs and scholes will definitely play lesser.

·
23,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Threads are being archived after they become 1 month old. :thumbsup:

If you check the date of the last replies on the last page of the forums you'll see they are 18th March.
Okay... how to retrieve the archives?

I tried to search "Nani Discussion" but to no avail. I tried advance search too.

Z

·
0 Posts
He lost hope in Nani? :blink:
I don't know. He is kind of the head of the anti Nani brigade though :whistling:

I wrote thousands of words in that thread defending Nani and there were dozens of brilliant posts by others too if I remember correctly. I'm not too sure I'll be willing to repeat that. But never say never ;)

·
23,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't know. He is kind of the head of the anti Nani brigade though :whistling:

I wrote thousands of words in that thread defending Nani and there were dozens of brilliant posts by others too if I remember correctly. I'm not too sure I'll be willing to repeat that. But never say never ;)
I didn't do too shabby a job too albeit all in last season (not inspired to do it this season). :frown:

Maybe he is worried sick that Nani might come good and the thread will come back to haunt him? ;)

·
Arse Bandito
1,527 Posts
it's good to start a thread with something positive on nani for a change, so nice one versa:thumbsup:
am not that big a fan of nani, but i see the potential that he has, demonstrated by some cracking goals. aside from thumpers against boro and a vital winner against spurs last year, he showed a great first touch in his goals against arsenal and liverpool. he's fallen away somewhat this year, perhaps due to the same "SSS' that has often plagued players, including anderson, but he has benefitted from the security of his place in the domestic cups. if i remember correctly, he's scored 5 goals in the cups this year, which is hardly a bad return. however, he's flattered to deceive in the league. maybe, it's the basic principle that applies in all working environments, where job security leads to increased productivity. perhaps nani's certainty of being a starter in cup games allows him to focus better and play better. i'm not defending the fact that he needs to work on his final ball, and his timing of passes/runs, but he is in good hands here. i just think he needs to be persevered with. much like forlan, who began to find goals when he was a regular, i think nani could find goals and form if he got a regular starting berth. however, can we afford to let him find his form at this vital stage

·
23,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
it's good to start a thread with something positive on nani for a change, so nice one versa:thumbsup:
am not that big a fan of nani, but i see the potential that he has, demonstrated by some cracking goals. aside from thumpers against boro and a vital winner against spurs last year, he showed a great first touch in his goals against arsenal and liverpool. he's fallen away somewhat this year, perhaps due to the same "SSS' that has often plagued players, including anderson, but he has benefitted from the security of his place in the domestic cups. if i remember correctly, he's scored 5 goals in the cups this year, which is hardly a bad return. however, he's flattered to deceive in the league. maybe, it's the basic principle that applies in all working environments, where job security leads to increased productivity. perhaps nani's certainty of being a starter in cup games allows him to focus better and play better. i'm not defending the fact that he needs to work on his final ball, and his timing of passes/runs, but he is in good hands here. i just think he needs to be persevered with. much like forlan, who began to find goals when he was a regular, i think nani could find goals and form if he got a regular starting berth. however, can we afford to let him find his form at this vital stage
We shall discuss s l o w l y about Nani (depending on his performance :D) now that the Nani discussion thread has been deleted.

Anybody noticed how easily he could wrongfoot a defender in front of him to create the space for himself (although what he does next is another matter altogether :p)? It reminds me of what Ronaldo used to do: turned pass the defender, created the space and then tried to turn him one more time.

Even on this aspect alone, there is hope yet. ;)

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
:rofl:

That was a great watch. Cheers zuco ;)

EDIT: There's actually some really good interviews on there. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Nani said " I just want some more matches " and I think he's right ..
Sir Alex doesn't give him the opportunity all the time ...
he needs more matches ..
the previous season was increadible for him ... but this season i don't know what happened to him ..
we're waiting him ..

·
Stretford Ender
2,270 Posts
couldnt believe the stick nani was getting after the porto game. i hope he gets some chance to prove the doubters wrong in the everton semi. i feel we have got to give some of the guys a break. they have played 11 games more than Liverpool this season and its starting to show.

Perfect opportunity for nani to come in as the squad man and shows flashes of the performance in the arsenal 4-0 fa cup from last season

1 - 20 of 79 Posts