Manchester United Talk banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cristiano Ronaldo, Wayne Rooney, Dimitar Berbatov and Carlos Tevez.

We have 4 of the most talented forward players in the whole world and they have never ever started a game together? Yet, everytime they are on the pitch together we seem to tear teams to shreds. Take the Tottenham match 2 weeks ago. 2-0 down, looking for an attacking spark. Second half, Nani comes off and we change it to a front four of:

Ronaldo---------------------Rooney

----------Berbatov-Tevez--------

And the second half goes 5-0 in our favour, with us dominating posession in the final third.

Now on the 27th May, we play a team, who in my opinion are just as weak if not weaker than Tottenham defensively. With the lacklustre Sylvihnho and Puyol occupyingthe fullback positions. Playing Cristiano Ronaldo and Wayne Rooney up against these guys would be an absolute dream in my opinion and we would create chances galore. Then, with Berbatov dropping off behind Tevez, Yaya Toure wouldn't have a clue where to pick him up imo and would be constantly drawn out of position, leaving a straight one one between the pace-less Gerard Piqué and the electrifying Carlos Tevez.

Yes, it would be a huge risk in some people's eyes especially when countering that with Iniesta, Xavi, Messi, Henry and Messi, but I think a devensive team including:

JOS------Vida----Rio------Evra

------Carrick-Anderson---------

Would sertainly suffice, with Carrick just sitting infront of the back four, watching Iniesta, while the energetic Anderson tracks Xavi around the whole pitch. I then think we would have more than enough defensively to cover Henry, Eto'o and Messi.

But, in order for this team to work, I think we need to try it sooner rather than later. Whether it is against City, Wigan, Arsenal or Hull, I think we have to give it a go.

If Fergie goes with this lineup in the Final, I have no doubts that we will rip them to pieces in the final third.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
In theory you would think it would work, but Fergie hasnt done it for a reason.
He likes a bit of shape and discipline in his teams. He certainly wont start the 4 for the CL final.
Id be surprised if he started Berba and Tevez tbh. Might just go for Ron up top again like against Arse.

Full marks on the post Dazza, but maybe he should try it in a game against Wigan or something first before he does it in the biggest final of them all. Basically, it wont happen.

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In theory you would think it would work, but Fergie hasnt done it for a reason.
He likes a bit of shape and discipline in his teams. He certainly wont start the 4 for the CL final.
Id be surprised if he started Berba and Tevez tbh. Might just go for Ron up top again like against Arse.

Full marks on the post Dazza, but maybe he should try it in a game against Wigan or something first before he does it in the biggest final of them all. Basically, it wont happen.
Yes but, I really think it would work, a team like this:

VDS

JOS Vida RIo Evra

Ronaldo Anderson Carrick Rooney

Berbatov Tevez.

I really think we would destroy Barca. IMO, if we go for Park and Rooney on the wings with Ronaldo up front, then it woll be a struggle and a complete toss up as to whether we win or not.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Yes but, I really think it would work, a team like this:

VDS

JOS Vida RIo Evra

Ronaldo Anderson Carrick Rooney

Berbatov Tevez.

I really think we would destroy Barca. IMO, if we go for Park and Rooney on the wings with Ronaldo up front, then it woll be a struggle and a complete toss up as to whether we win or not.
But we only tried it against Spurs and they capitulated.
It's more or less unproven. Why would Fergie try something new in one of THE biggest games ever?

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
That's what I'm saying, try it out first and see how it goes. Not just throw it in at the deep end obviously
Try it out against who then?
Winning the Prem is massive as well.
We have 2 big games at home (the Derby and Arse)
and 2 games away (Wigan and Hull)
Should we really be risking a new formation at this critical part of the season?
Why not continue with how we have been playing?

Since our blip against the Scousers and Fulham we are unbeaten in 10 matches
I think and playing some of our best stuff of the season.
8 wins, 2 draws (the draws being Porto and everton in the cup even though we went out on peno's)
We should just carry on as we are. If we are losing a game (like we were at Spurs)
then by all means play 'the fantastic four' but that's only if we are losing,
and hopefully that shouldn't happen. :p

·
Member of the Year 2012 & 2013
43,914 Posts
Cristiano Ronaldo, Wayne Rooney, Dimitar Berbatov and Carlos Tevez.

We have 4 of the most talented forward players in the whole world and they have never ever started a game together? Yet, everytime they are on the pitch together we seem to tear teams to shreds. Take the Tottenham match 2 weeks ago. 2-0 down, looking for an attacking spark. Second half, Nani comes off and we change it to a front four of:

Ronaldo---------------------Rooney

----------Berbatov-Tevez--------

And the second half goes 5-0 in our favour, with us dominating posession in the final third.

Now on the 27th May, we play a team, who in my opinion are just as weak if not weaker than Tottenham defensively. With the lacklustre Sylvihnho and Puyol occupyingthe fullback positions. Playing Cristiano Ronaldo and Wayne Rooney up against these guys would be an absolute dream in my opinion and we would create chances galore. Then, with Berbatov dropping off behind Tevez, Yaya Toure wouldn't have a clue where to pick him up imo and would be constantly drawn out of position, leaving a straight one one between the pace-less Gerard Piqué and the electrifying Carlos Tevez.

Yes, it would be a huge risk in some people's eyes especially when countering that with Iniesta, Xavi, Messi, Henry and Messi, but I think a devensive team including:

JOS------Vida----Rio------Evra

------Carrick-Anderson---------

Would sertainly suffice, with Carrick just sitting infront of the back four, watching Iniesta, while the energetic Anderson tracks Xavi around the whole pitch. I then think we would have more than enough defensively to cover Henry, Eto'o and Messi.

But, in order for this team to work, I think we need to try it sooner rather than later. Whether it is against City, Wigan, Arsenal or Hull, I think we have to give it a go.

If Fergie goes with this lineup in the Final, I have no doubts that we will rip them to pieces in the final third.
It's an awesome idea i love it when all 4 play - Tevez making space for Berba to exploit getting in the 2 Ro(o)nnies. I doubt it will happen though, i'd bet that only ronaldo and rooney will start tbh with park playing, ah well, we can dream :)

G

·
It works well when we're chasing a game and the opposition is putting everyone behind the ball defending for their lives, but it's not a team I'd ever start a game with. To play all four would mean only a two man midfield and if we get over run in midfield then the front 4 wouldn't get the service anyway.

Plus if all 4 are starting and the game isn't going to plan, we don't have as much quality on the bench to change the game.

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Try it out against who then?
Winning the Prem is massive as well.
We have 2 big games at home (the Derby and Arse)
and 2 games away (Wigan and Hull)
Should we really be risking a new formation at this critical part of the season?
Why not continue with how we have been playing?

Since our blip against the Scousers and Fulham we are unbeaten in 10 matches
I think and playing some of our best stuff of the season.
8 wins, 2 draws (the draws being Porto and everton in the cup even though we went out on peno's)
We should just carry on as we are. If we are losing a game (like we were at Spurs)
then by all means play 'the fantastic four' but that's only if we are losing,
and hopefully that shouldn't happen. :p
Ok, but I really would like to see Fergie try it on Sunday against City. I just think that it would be absoulutely electric.

·
Banned
27,712 Posts
It works well when we're chasing a game and the opposition is putting everyone behind the ball defending for their lives, but it's not a team I'd ever start a game with. To play all four would mean only a two man midfield and if we get over run in midfield then the front 4 wouldn't get the service anyway.

Plus if all 4 are starting and the game isn't going to plan, we don't have as much quality on the bench to change the game.
+1 :thumbsup:

BTW am i always going to have the village idiot tagline?:rofl:

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
I love the post, I think we would win the match like that, but is it too much of a risk? If it goes tits up then we look like tactical amateurs. Having said that, I'd love us to give it a trial run against City this weekend. They have an attacking style and will be desperate to beat us, so it would be a similar kind fo set up to Barcelona although obviously not as good. I do think we could really do a number on Barcelona like that, every time we got the ball in attack we would be tearing through them. We'd just have chance after chance, and Tevez would be getting back through the middle when we haven't got the ball to cover the midfield.

It would probably be:

--------------Valdes

Puyol----Pique----Toure----Silvinho

--------------Keita
--------Xavi--------Iniesta

Messi-----------------------Henry
--------------Eto'o

Vs

---------Berbatov---Tevez

Rooney---------------------Ronaldo
---------Anderson--Carrick

Evra----Vidic----Ferdinand----O'Shea

------------Van Der Sar

I think we would tear them apart in attack, their defense will consist of Puyol in not his best position when he is playing pretty poorly already this season, Pique who's performances have also been overrated (although he is very good on the ball) would struggle big time with out speed of movement, Toure who has not really played there much before and Silvinho who was average at his peak and well past it now. And with Keita (or possibly Busquets) as the defensive midfielder then wouldn't get nearly as good cover like they normally do.

The place where I could really see them doing us damage is down their left hand side, O'Shea would not get helped out too much by Ronaldo and would have to both deal with Henry's pace and Iniesta's moves into the channel.

But elsewhere on the pitch, Tevez would drop back and win a lot of balls in midfield, Rooney, Evra and Anderson should do a good job of covering the left side, and our Center backs have the strength and pace to deal with Eto'o as well as anyone could, while also sweeping up for the full backs too. There would be a danger of Iniesta and Xavi just passing straight through us in midfield though.

If we don't go for that system though, I think this could be really effective:

--------------Ronaldo
Rooney----------------------Tevez

---------------Giggs
-------Anderson-----Carrick

Evra----Vidic----Ferdinand---O'Shea

------------Van Der Sar

The back 5 pick themselves really. Then the midfield trio could operate well as both a defesive and attacking unit. In defense, Anderson gives the work rate, strength, and pace across the ground to close people down quickly; Carrick gives you the positional awareness and decent work rate. While Giggs does a good amount of running and is actually now a good tackler too, and his experience would stop people from panicking and getting out of position or making stupid tackles. In attack, Anderson gives the the drive with pace through the middle that their midfield could struggle with, Carrick gives the composure and accuracy of passing, while Giggs gives you to coolness, eye for a pass, and the unique skill to dribble through the middle with composure before laying off a pass, teams don't know how to defend about that. Then Rooney and Tevez would give as good cover as you could ever want on the wings to help out the midfield and defense. While the combination and them and Ronaldo upfront could be devastating for Barca.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
If only there was a degree you could do in football studies Richie. You would get an A+ you NERD :D

I don't agree with the first team for the reasons I stated already but the second team is the one I think will start the final. We need to match Barca in the middle of the park and try and stifle their play. This can be done with the passing of Carrick, skill, vision and passing of Giggs and the machine that is Anderson who will get in their faces.

·
Pz
2,062 Posts
Sorry to go against the grain but it doesnt work for me. Its more than just having four great strikers so to speak on the pitch.

Rooney is doing great on the left and ronaldo on the other side of upfront is working too but all four of them together just clash.

It works when we're loosing because we have no other choice and its just attack attack attack but from the start of a game against a good team, we would get so exposed, if we play all four against barcelona we'd loose pretty easily. They would easily dominate midfield and there would be too much space for them to work on.

Also we had all four on the pitch against hull earlier in the season i think and we conceeded alot of goals.

We can use all four but against good teams its a fail imo.

I could really write a huge post about why it doesnt work imo but i've said it in many previous posts too so i wont go into depth but all i would say is that fergie, one of the greatest managers ever does not think it works either and i agree with him.

Barcelona last season had an even better attacking four in ronaldinho, eto, messi and henry and they never really played together either, i dont think it works myself.

We could do it against a team like city possibly, but barcelona? We'd get eaten by the spaces in our team as against other very good teams, its got to many flaws.

pz!:cool:

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sorry to go against the grain but it doesnt work for me. Its more than just having four great strikers so to speak on the pitch.

Rooney is doing great on the left and ronaldo on the other side of upfront is working too but all four of them together just clash.

It works when we're loosing because we have no other choice and its just attack attack attack but from the start of a game against a good team, we would get so exposed, if we play all four against barcelona we'd loose pretty easily. They would easily dominate midfield and there would be too much space for them to work on.

Also we had all four on the pitch against hull earlier in the season i think and we conceeded alot of goals.

We can use all four but against good teams its a fail imo.

I could really write a huge post about why it doesnt work imo but i've said it in many previous posts too so i wont go into depth but all i would say is that fergie, one of the greatest managers ever does not think it works either and i agree with him.

Barcelona last season had an even better attacking four in ronaldinho, eto, messi and henry and they never really played together either, i dont think it works myself.

We could do it against a team like city possibly, but barcelona? We'd get eaten by the spaces in our team as against other very good teams, its got to many flaws.

pz!:cool:
I disagree, I think it would inevitably come down to, which side has a better defence.... And that quite obviously is us. I think it would end up being about 3 or 4 - 1 in our favour. I really don't think Barca are as good as people think. Evra cleaned Messi last season. Vidic and Rio also kept Eto'o and henry absolutely anonymous for 180 minutes.

So, basically try it on Sunday Fergie and let us see how it works... I will be absolutely ecstatic if he gives it a go. But I do doubt it somehow. :frown:

·
Berbatov>Tevez
11,076 Posts
as a matter a fact - they started the match against liverpool away if i'm not mistaken

the only system in which it could actually work on consistant basis is a 3-3-3-1 (virtual) system which will never be played overhere

----------------------- vds

------------- vida-rio-evra(if he can make it as a cb - doubt it )

--------- ----hargo/giggs-fletcher/scholes-anderson/carrick

----------------- tevez-berbatov-rooney

-------------------------- ronaldo

everything else comes down to 4-2-4 at the end of the day

in fact this can be easily converted to 4-4-2 if hargo switches back to the RB

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.