Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

F.C. Porto - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I thought we may as well have a thread on Porto where we can keep up to date with their results and injuries and things like that.

Also, anyone who watches the Portuguese league (I'm looking at you Sporting4Ever), feel free to give us your insight on Porto. Who are their key players? What formation they use? What tactics does the manager favour? Etc etc.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
my thoughts on porto are that they are a decent side with some good players like lucho and lisandro lopez. and a bogey keeper helton. they also have some brazilian forward called hulk who had a good rep coming to them from japan.

i think they play a 451 system as far as i know but as you said Zuco, sporting4ever will inform you more

·
Registered
616 Posts
Champions League quarter-final draw
Villarreal v Arsenal

Manchester United v Porto

Liverpool v Chelsea

Barcelona v Bayern Munich

Ties to be played on 7th/8th April and 14th/15th April.

Champions League semi-final draw
Manchester United or Porto v Villarreal or Arsenal

Barcelona or Bayern Munich v Liverpool or Chelsea

Ties to be played on 28th/29th April and 5th/6th May.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
They have some decent enough players.
Helton is their keeper. He has a lot of experience.
They also have the striker called Hulk :D awesome name.
Raul Meirles (sp.) is also a handy player and an international and Bruno Alves in defence.
Couldnt tell you much else though.

·
I aim to Misbehave
6,371 Posts
Porto are a step up from the competition here, and that's the truth. Their sucesses under Mourinho gave thm financial leeway to get a decent squad and they're regulars in the last 16 of the champions. Last season Porto finished a clear 20 points ahead of 2nd place Sporting. This season they started off badly, mostly because of the whole Quaresma issue. They're a solid team, and Lucho is the man to watch. A very good playmaker, likes to set up his partner Lisandro López, a very efficent striker. Also, Hulk is a powerhouse. Watch him especially on counter attacks, if you give him space, he'll go all the way. Strong, fast, with decent skills and a powerful kick. Their defense is pretty solid, with their major weakness (left back) beeing fixed in the winter transfer period. The goalkeeper is indeed the weakest link. Helton is a very good goalkeeper, but he's having an atypical season, conceading some unnusual goals.

Also, don't let the bayern results fool you. Yeah, we took 12 from them, most of them stupid goals. And we beat porto for the League cup 4-1 in the semis, lost to them in the league at home, and drew away. Every game is different, and if there's one thing our manager has on Jesualdo Ferreira (porto's manager) is that he knows how Jesualdo thinks, and knows how best to counter him. In the years they've managed both clubs, Sporting have lost once or twice to porto, having faced them on average 4 times each season.

So to me, their weakness is the manager. You read him well, you take 'em out.

They play in a 4-3-1-2 with 2 defensive midfielders, so that gives them extra coverage in front of their defense.

And don't underestimate the players, or the away game. Jesualdo is nowhere near a José Mourinho, but his team is way better than Mourinho's team was.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
If anyone can be arsed to have a proper look at the stats and all, then so be it, but I don't think our record against Portuguese teams is that good, certainly not in recent years. Porto from 2004, well 'nough said. Benfica in 2005... again, no detail needed. Sporting gave us a bit of a scare back in 2007 as well, and we only beat him courtesy of a spectacular strike from Ronaldo.

Just something to think about. I expect another tough tie, despite it being - on paper at least - the easiest of the draw.

·
has been served
2,947 Posts
I really dont rate them. Having watched them I think that their midfield is probably the strongest part of their team. Lisandro Lopez couldnt score in a brothel at this level so we should be ok, and if Sporting4Ever says their keeper is shit, we should be really in the money.

·
The Mexican Boy George
7,601 Posts
decent side with a goalkeeper that reminds me alot of heurehlo gomes from tottenham, but I think we should be able to see them off.

·
I aim to Misbehave
6,371 Posts
I really dont rate them. Having watched them I think that their midfield is probably the strongest part of their team. Lisandro Lopez couldnt score in a brothel at this level so we should be ok, and if Sporting4Ever says their keeper is shit, we should be really in the money.
I think you're making a huge mistake to underestimate them so. Lisandro is nowhere near as you paint him out to be, Helton isn't shit, although he's been conceding some unusual goals.

In our league, porto have the 2nd best defense, with 15 goals conceded, the 1st beeing Sporting with 14 (Ironic, isn't it...?). In Europe, they've conceded 10 goals, 4 of which we're on that most atypical game at Emirates where they lost 4-0. And they still managed to win the group, beating learse 2-0 at the return. Our european record, well, let's say that if we ignore the games with Bayern and Barça, we didn't suffer a single goal :D

Anyways, my point is, they have discipline, they have experience, they know how to play in big stadiums, and are not intimidated by the giant clubs. So if you think it's gonna be a stroll, I censirely hope that SAF and the players don't see it like that.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
I can see this being a tough game, we don't have a great record against portuguese teams in recent years and lucho gonzalez is awesome, i think he will cause us a few problems but we should go through to the next round though.

·
Banned
12,703 Posts
I don't think their playing style has changed much since '05
and they've invested in relatively unknown talent. I think
we'll win at home and away.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts