Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is a competition that caused maximum contreversy back in 99/00 season with us dropping the fa cup for it, but this year around how does it work? this will be more a global exercise than a football competition but imo we should take this more seriously this time around having been shown up at the last one, also does anyone know where this will be hosted i've heard Australia have shown an interest in hosting it in 2009, but does anyone think it's pointless ? :cool:

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
really, yeah i remember we one a world championship, but we also got smaashed out in brazil didnt we ? the one in japan was a one off game wasn't it ? i cant remember stephen?

The FIFA Club World Cup, formerly known as the FIFA Club World Championship, is a football competition contested between the champion clubs from all 6 continental confederations, although, since 2007, the champions of Oceania must play a qualifying play-off against the champion club of the host country.

The first competition took place in Brazil in January 2000. It was intended by FIFA to be a replacement for the Intercontinental Cup (also known as the Toyota Cup), which was contested annually in Tokyo, Japan by the champions of Europe via the Champions League and South America via the Copa Libertadores.
the one im on about is the tournment, not the one off game we played, you know when becks got sent off anyone remember ? lol

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
it will take quite a lot out of the players.
just hope it wont influence our title defence.
if we have successful cup runs, we would have approaching 65-70 games next season. that would be fantastic, but at the same time worrying.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it's all the champions of ebery continent mate e.g south america asia europe etc .. it explains it in my earlier thread mate ^^^^

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
There are only about 7-8 games in total, and Milan only actually played 2 games against Urawa Reds & Boca Juniors in the Finals, as did Barcelona the previous year...

So it won't tire the team out too much. At worst, we'll probably end up having some games re-arranged, which could be a real pain later on in the season...

But we'll win it.

·
Registered
5,167 Posts
What this tournament is about:

The FIFA Club World Cup, formerly known as the FIFA Club World Championship, is a football competition contested between the champion clubs from all 6 continental confederations, although, since 2007, the champions of Oceania must play a qualifying play-off against the champion club of the host country.

The first competition took place in Brazil in January 2000. It was intended by FIFA to be a replacement for the Intercontinental Cup (also known as the Toyota Cup), which was contested annually in Tokyo, Japan by the champions of Europe via the Champions League and South America via the Copa Libertadores.

The second edition was penciled in for Spain in 2001, to feature 12 teams. This was canceled owing to a combination of factors, most importantly the collapse of FIFA's marketing partner ISL. It was then intended to hold the event in 2003, but this also failed to happen. FIFA eventually agreed terms with the Toyota Cup to merge the two competitions, with the first installment of the relaunched Club World Championship held in Japan between December 11 and December 18, 2005.

Japan has hosted the yearly competition since, but open bidding processes for hosting it will begin with the 2009 edition.[1] Australia and the UAE have presented bids for the 2009 and 2010 FIFA Club World Cup.[2] Portugal, after initially putting forward a bid, decided to withdraw its candidacy.[3]

In February 2008, FIFA introduced a Club World Champion Badge of Honour, featuring an image of the trophy, which the reigning champion is entitled to display on its kit until the final of the next championship. Initially, all four previous champions can wear the badge until the 2008 final.[4]

The fifth-place match, dropped for the 2007 edition, will be reintroduced for the 2008 edition. The reintroduction of the match for fifth place has also prompted an increase in prize money by USD $500,000 to a total of USD $16.5 million. The winners will take away $5 million, second-placed team receives $4 million, the third-placed team $2.5 million, the fourth-placed team $2 million, the fifth-placed team $1.5 million, the sixth-placed team $1 million and the seventh-placed team will receive $500,000.[3]

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
this would be a very worth while competition to win in terms of finances, plus the fact players like carlos and ando have the opportunity to mybe play against some teams from their own country, imagine carlos playing boca lol i dont think he'd like to do that haha

·
Registered
3,001 Posts

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
lol wow, this could be a great showdown, i'd love to see us play boca, two world greats !

·
Banned
9,511 Posts
We will only play a maximum of 2 games, the semi and the final. In December, so we will remain in the FA Cup unlike in 2000.

·
Registered
6,607 Posts
The World club Championship is a one off, neutral venue game against South American Champions. The FIFA thing we "ditched" the FA Cup for was a special one off centenary tournie.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
marty davidson said:
could someone pm me and tell me what is tourment is about

the world club championship is when the european champions {champions league} play the winners of the south american version over one game, utd have won this in 99, and it takes place every season.
but another stupid version was also started by fifa in 99 {the one where utd received critizism for pulling out of the fa cup},this involves a few teams from around the globe taking part in a tournament where 3 or 4 games might be played .when utd took part it was played in brazil ,pressure was put on utd to take part by the goverment but the fa would not allow us to field a second string team in the fa cup while we were away so we had to pull out ,and have been critized ever since.
this tournament should never have started it just doe's not fit into the european season,to be honest i thought it was scrapped i hope it is ,if not send our second team this time.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Red Devil said:
The World club Championship is a one off, neutral venue game against South American Champions. The FIFA thing we "ditched" the FA Cup for was a special one off centenary tournie.
Its against the winners of the Champion's League equivenlent from the various continents. It just turns out the South American teams usually are the better ones out of the lot...

·
Registered
6,607 Posts
NateR said:
Its against the winners of the Champion's League equivenlent from the various continents. It just turns out the South American teams usually are the better ones out of the lot...
Edit: it has to be the most under publicised tournament ever!! I thought it was finito. So, on this premise, how are we supposed to fit this into what is going to be a hectic schedule. I cannot see Fergie saying yes again.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts