Manchester United Talk banner
21 - 40 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
I dont understand why they dont just scrap this and bring back the old Inter-Continental Cup since its always The Champions of Europe & South America in final anyway. If I was SAF Iwouldnt bother with this and just soley concentrate on our regular competitions since in truth its nothing but a money spinner.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Hardly any of the teams that win the Champo win it - AC Milan - No, Barca - No, L'Pool - No.
But we will ;) It disrupts us a bit though, because it will leave us with about 3 games in hand therefore around 6 points of the drift of things depending on the start we have.

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
would it replace the FA cup next year? if so then i wouldn't like to enter.

but if it isnt replacing the FA cup then we should enter, we have a big enough squad now to handle a couple more games so that shouldnt realy be a problem to us.

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
The World Club Championship in 2000 was in January so clashed with the 3rd round of the FA Cup.

It's now held in December so that won't be a problem.

Fixture congestion is a concern though because we also have to play in the European Super Cup, which means we'll be at least 3 fixtures behind everyone else in the league.

If Chelsea make a good start then we'll have some catching up to do. AC Milan were in the bottom half of the league for ages this season and ended up finishing 5th. Hopefully, we'll cope better than that!

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
i think your find that was the inter continental cup or whatever its called. you only play one game in that. its always hosted in tokyo and its the winners from south americas version of the champions league. normally our side of the planet win it

the fifa world club championships consists of the champions of continental champions all around the world. not just europe and south americmost popular teams to get chucked in are few asian clubs an argentinian or brazilian club and i have seen american clubs in it before.

you have the option not to enter it and i dont think liverpool did in 05

when we done it in brazil in 99/00 season we got spanked and fergie blamed it on the heat

but i would like us to enter it as we have never won this in our history. however, i do not think we will as fergie has bad views on it and i think he would rather retain the league and champions league than win this. hopefully tho we will because id like to go to it

anyone know how tickets will go for this?

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
Clarky101 said:
i think your find that was the inter continental cup or whatever its called. you only play one game in that. its always hosted in tokyo and its the winners from south americas version of the champions league. normally our side of the planet win it

you have the option not to enter it and i dont think liverpool did in 05?
The Intercontinental Cup was in November 1999. We beat Palmeiras 1-0.

The first World Club Championship was in January 2000 and featured United, Real Madrid, Vasco da Gama, Corinthians, Necaxa, South Melbourne and a couple of other teams. As you can see there were 2 European sides and 2 Brazilian sides. We got knocked out in the group stage, Real Madrid came 4th and it was won by Corinthians.

Both of these tournaments were replaced by the FIFA Club World Cup in 2005.

Liverpool entered the FIFA Club World Cup after winning the Champions League in 2005 and lost in the final against Sao Paulo.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
the super cupsheld in monaco, and is on a week night so that shouldnt disrupt our league games, but yes the world club championship would make us a few games behind

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
i see. so they completly got rid of the tokyo competition inter-continental thing?
cause that was a cool trophy sort of had like to bars as handles didnt it and a lil globe thing on top?

cant remember liverpool doing the fifa club champ comp lol. thought they lost to san paolo in final of inter con not club thing but ill take your word for it

know anything about ticket availability for this?

^^

·
Registered
78 Posts
i hope they dont change this tournament!! i live in tokyo!! from what i remember last year, AC played boca in the final, it was a really good game, but they only played two games, and it inlcuded a team from australisia, i think they were from newzealand last year, and some teams from middle east, and of course asian champs who were urawa reds last year. Its a big deal over here in japan this tournament, they big up on tv weeks before!

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
Drew9 said:
the super cupsheld in monaco, and is on a week night so that shouldnt disrupt our league games, but yes the world club championship would make us a few games behind
The Super Cup is played on a Friday night so our fixture that weekend will have to be moved.

Clarky - Liverpool beat Deportivo Saprissa (who came 3rd) 3-0 in the semi's and lost 1-0 to Sao Paulo in the final.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
well we dont know yet as the libertadores is still going on (south american vesion of the champions league) but it looks likely that boca will win it, other than that i dont have a clue who will be in it, does anyone know if this will be televised ??

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
is it def in japan than cause that would be pricey for flights and accomadation

and when abouts in decemeber is it

im guessing it will be at the start rather the xmas period

dwarf - scousers done a lot better than us then, but we were in sunny brazil

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
yeah but clarky remember they only had to play 2 games, we had more and yes i thik it will be at the start, also austrailia were tyring to host the competition but im not sure in they suceeded so yes i do believe it's in japan

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
Clarky101 said:
dwarf - scousers done a lot better than us then, but we were in sunny brazil
True, but the format had changed. There were no group stages - Liverpool entered the tournament in the semi-finals and only 6 teams took part.

The 'quarter-finals' only had 4 teams in them. The losers of them played a 5th/6th place playoff. Then 2 more teams enter at the semi-final stage - the losers play a 3rd/4th place playoff.

21 - 40 of 81 Posts