Manchester United Talk banner
61 - 80 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
we dont have a rubbish one mate ;) but yeah i would be quite botherd if we went out of the competition, if we're in it we might aswell win it :)

·
Registered
310 Posts
I wouldnt be overly upset if we didnt win it!
If we did great, nice trophy to add in but by no means should it be veiwed as something we're aiming for and compromise are defense of the CL and the Premiership.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
World Club Championship

Obviously this would be a great one to win but Im not sure how serious
Fergie is taking it. Should he even be too bothered?
A few interesting quotes from him in this morning's paper:

Fergie said:
"I will have to be sensible when the Club World Championship comes around - and that means leaving players behind in England.

"It is flattering to be going to Japan, but it's not ideal because we will have games on December 26 and 28 when we get home, followed by the FA Cup.

"So I will have to be careful about the players I pick to go.

"Much will depend on the form of the team and the players I have available through injuries and suspensions, but it is possible that I will leave a lot of our more senior players behind.
"Jet-lag becomes a problem when you return from the Far East so I will have to manage it in the right way and do what is good for Manchester United."
We will need a bit of luck regarding injuries this season cos we have a
mountain of fixtures.

Where does this trophy rank for you? Is it the be all and end all?
Discuss.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I don't think it is that important, well at least not to clubs anymore, where money is what matters - and it doesn't offer a lot of money winning it.

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
Well for me our priorities for this are:

1. Premiership / CL

2. CL / Premiership

3. FA Cup / World Club Championships

4. World Club Championships / FA Cup

5. Carling Cup

6. Super Cup

7. Community Shield.

So really its between that and the FA Cup for 3rd spot. I think the FA Cup is maybe more prestigeous but I quite fancy being called 'World Champions' lol.

We can win the FA Cup next season but we might not get the chance to win the WCC for another few years.

Judging by Fergie's comments he'll probably use some of the younger players. I've not problem with that because we have a very big squad plus the winners of the Copa Libatodores are LDU (or something like that) who were supposed to be quite poor and were very lucky to win it.

Our reserves could probably beat the other 1 or 2 teams we have to face. (champions of Asia or something like that)

-----------------------------Foster------------------------------

--Rafael----------Brown---------Evans-------------Fabio--

------------Fletcher----Anderson---Rodrigo------------------

--Park--------------------------------------------------Nani--

-----------------------------Tevez*----------------------------

Subs: Amos, O'Shea, Silvestre, Pettrucci, Wellbeck, Macheda, (Gibson and martin if they're with us still)

* Or New striker

That team looks decent enough to me because we won't be playing teams like Boca Jrns or any other top South American team, plus we'll have a great chance to show off some youngsters.

This competition is a big deal in South America so with us playing 5 players from there it will really boost our reputation over there.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Decent enough team there^^^
Bit surprised you rate the Carling cup higher than the Super Cup. The Super cup
is quite prestigous I would have thought? It would be a great trophy to have in
the cabinet, better imo than the Carling cup (kiddies cup).

Your right about that team that won the Copa Lib. They were the Greece of
that competition. They draw most of their games 0-0, won the odd one 1-0,
and won the final on peno's (I think). United would be far superior, even with
a 'reserve' team like the one you named above.

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
Jazz 16 said:
Decent enough team there^^^
Bit surprised you rate the Carling cup higher than the Super Cup. The Super cup
is quite prestigous I would have thought? It would be a great trophy to have in
the cabinet, better imo than the Carling cup (kiddies cup).

Your right about that team that won the Copa Lib. They were the Greece of
that competition. They draw most of their games 0-0, won the odd one 1-0,
and won the final on peno's (I think). United would be far superior, even with
a 'reserve' team like the one you named above.
Yeah I was thinking about changing the Super Cup and the Carling cup around, but for me I am really looking forward to the Carling cup this season because I know we will play our youngsters in all the rounds so obviously if we win that then if will help our youngsters to really leave an impression on Fergie.

I suppose The Super cup is more prestigeous but if you look at it, its one match, wheras if we were to win the Carling cup we might not get the credit from around Europe as we would with the Super Cup but its a great chance for us to see the likes of Rodrigo, the Da Silvas ect in some competitive games.

We are lucky this year that Boca or another top S.American team didn't win because if they did we would have had to play a stronger team.

When is the tournament actually on and on what channel do you think it'll be on?

·
Proto-Hipster
46,961 Posts
if we dont win this cup we will be slagged by rival fans
"you team lost from african/american/asian club loosers"
and if we won it
slaggers will say
"haha you think you are proud cuz your team is the champion of a stupid tournament full of stupid african/american/asian clubs"
:(

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Its on just before Christmas I think. No idea what channel. It will be on something anyway or we can just stream it.
Good point with the Carling Cup.....it will be good to see the youngsters in action, especially the Brazilians.

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
It is important in the fact, that somewhere deep in my heart, I fully believe we are going to win all 7 trophies. Common sense says otherwise, but "football, bloody hell."

In all honesty, it is ridiculous for the FA not to be nicer with the scheduling in my opinion. wouldn't it be nice for the Premier League (not just United) to boast that they are to the Champions of Europe, and the world as well.

Hopefully though, we will have a lead of some sorts by December in the league, so Fergie can take a little stronger side.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
i think United should take it serious , no matter the names she's competing against. we are officially competing for the best club in the world and we shouldn't take it for granted:)..but i'm sure no matter what formation Fergie puts on the field we will go for the win and make a good impression

·
Stretford Ender
2,270 Posts
way to look at it is would you want fergie to stuff up players fitness mid-season for what is ultimately the World Charity Shield or use it like Fergie did in 99/00 to give players extra break and then go into new year to bomb on for a 18th league title and another crack at Champions League.

I dont even need a second to think about that one. Some mickey mouse one game tournament dont make you World Champions.

Send out the kids and if we win, good. If not then it aint end of the world in my eyes. This tournament should come even behind League Cup imo.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
No worries mate.
Getting back to the thread, im quite excited about this competition even though this is no way near a priority, does anybody know if this will be shown on television ?

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
Drew9 said:
No worries mate.
Getting back to the thread, im quite excited about this competition even though this is no way near a priority, does anybody know if this will be shown on television ?
I don't know but if either Sky, Setanta, ITV or BBC don't show it then it will definately be on MUTV so either way it'll be on.

Hopefully its on ITV, that way Clive Tyldsley would cover the matches.

61 - 80 of 81 Posts