Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
23,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was trying to post the latest round of bickerings between Fergie and Rafa but could not find a suitable existing Rafa thread to post in. Surprised too that this Football Banter forum only has just 6 pages?! Many must have been deleted?

In any case, thought a new thread on football managers may be more encompassing and come in more handy than a Rafa thread. Anyway, who says he deserves a thread of his own?

With Liverpool out of CL and thus the only trophy left this season for them to daydream about is the PL, expect more fireworks to come.

teamtalk

Fergie takes Rafa row to new level

Sir Alex Ferguson has accused Rafael Benitez of "arrogance" and showing "contempt" in his dealings with fellow Premier League managers....

The Liverpool chief has been in combative mood recently, on several occasions launching verbal volleys at Manchester United counterpart Ferguson.

And ahead of Sunday's FA Cup semi-final with Everton, Ferguson has hit back with a withering assessment of Benitez's conduct.

First he lambasted the Spaniard for his description of Everton as a "small club" before rounding on him for the attitude he showed in dismissing Blackburn last weekend once Liverpool had scored their second goal at Anfield.

"Everton are a big club, not a small one which Benitez arrogantly said," said Ferguson.

"But arrogance is one thing. You cannot forgive contempt, which is what he showed (Blackburn manager) Sam Allardyce last weekend.

"When Liverpool scored their second goal, he signalled as if the game was finished. I do not think Sam deserved that.

"Sam has worked so hard for the LMA (League Managers' Association) and he's had a weakened team. I just thought it showed contempt.

"In my experience, no Liverpool manager has ever done that. It was beyond the pale."

The tirade should enliven the Premier League title battle when it resumes next week, although Ferguson will feel justified in making the attack.

Benitez had delivered what he claimed to be "facts", about United which the Red Devils do not believe to be true.

And while Ferguson has tried to resist the temptation to respond, this time he felt he needed to make a stand against the Liverpool manager, who feels more sure of his ground after finally steering his club into championship contention despite this week's Champions League exit at the hands of Chelsea.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
I'm glad Sir Alex has said this actually.

All I seem to continually hear from pundits, family etc is what a nice, respectful man Benitez is. But "the fachts" are he's not. He has been disrespectful towards different people, and more regularly than people think. He gets away with it every time though, whereas if Sir Alex, Mourinho or Wenger said some of the things Benitez says everyone would have enough to say about it.

There's no better feeling than seeing the look on his face once failure has hit though :D

·
Banned
16,006 Posts
I think Mourinho would tear him apart though if they faced each other. Mourinho's one witty man. He's comic personality is missed from the Premiership.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
I think Mourinho would tear him apart though if they faced each other. Mourinho's one witty man. He's comic personality is missed from the Premiership.
hahaha yeah. agreed, i miss mourinho's antics in the PL.

as for that bald head man, im sure he will crack up soon. im pretty sure his arrogance was due to the fact that people were expecting liverpool to start losing after losing at home against chelsea in CL. but instead, they showed pretty good form and thats why he got smug. i pity the people at blackburn, especially the coaching staffs, the players, and mr Sam Allardyce himself.

this is in no way to treat a fellow professional. there wasnt even any basic sporting respect from rafa benitez. i hope the fa do something about it though.

·
23,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
independent.ie

BURY THE HATCHETWenger calls on Benitez and Ferguson to end war of words

ARSENE WENGER has called on Rafael Benitez and Alex Ferguson to end their war of words -- with the help of the League Managers' Association if necessary.

As Ferguson's greatest rival, Wenger is more experienced than most in handling bouts of verbal jousting with the Manchester United manager.

"They (the LMA) have to try to sort that out but the best way would be to have Ferguson and Benitez to sort it out themselves," he said.

Wenger, whose Arsenal team face Liverpool in the Premier League at Anfield tonight, refused to comment further on Ferguson's spat with Benitez, but said: "Our responsibility is to keep it, on the pitch, as competitive as possible but outside as calm as possible. We want respect in the game, we managers are responsible for it."

The Frenchman also reflected on his improving relationship with the United manager. He admitted that tensions reached their peak at the time of the so-called 'Battle of the Buffet' in 2004, when United ended Arsenal's 49-game unbeaten run, and insisted that any disagreements were sparked simply by football incidents.

"I just feel what happened with me was incidents during the game that made me talk," he said. "I believe managers, before the game, have a responsibility to keep the game as quiet as possible. Why? Because I would not like to sit here one day and think that fans slaughtered each other before the game because you made everybody mad."

Asked specifically about Ferguson, Wenger said: "It was really fierce with the 49th game -- that was the most aggressive one and after it calmed down because you cannot always be in that kind of situation.

"You have a responsibility as well because what you feel about other people is not the most important, it is what your club does. You cannot always put people on edge. He doesn't wind me up. What winds me up is not to win."

Wenger is also unconvinced by the potential value of 'mind games'.

He said: "I believe it was always something which was overrated a bit. You never know how much impact it has because it is impossible to measure.

"It is a little bit like advertising -- it is needed but what impact it has on sales you never know."

Peacemaker Lee insists 'Pool respect Ferguson

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/peacemaker-lee--insists-pool-respect-ferguson-1714264.html

·
23,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fergie could be having the last say. Let's hope he has the last laugh too...

setanta

Fergie makes his bed and lies in it

Sir Alex Ferguson has maintained his standpoint on Rafa Benitez's celebratory gesture against Blackburn.

Benitez – for one reason or another – on Monday skipped his first opportunity to respond to recent criticism from Ferguson when he allowed Sammy Lee to take his pre-match press conference.

Ferguson last week joined Sam Allardyce in condemning Benitez for showing both ‘contempt’ and ‘arrogance’ for the manner that he celebrated Liverpool’s second goal against Blackburn.

Lee denied that any such accusations could be levelled against the Spaniard and Ferguson, although not about to go back on his words, has at least temporarily brought an end to the spat.

"I made my point about it. I don't understand why he did it," said Ferguson. "I don't want to go on about it anymore.

"I made my point. There is no point carrying it on. It's plain for everybody to see now. I have made my issue about it."

When told that Lee had explained Benitez's gesture by saying it was merely a response to the manner of Liverpool's set piece, Ferguson merely said: "They are hurt by it."

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
its gettin to be a bit of joke really, there like too big babys, why dont they keep there mouths closed and let the teams do all the talkin to be honest....

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Well, there's no Mourinho... The others have to work extra hard to make up for it... ;)
Mourinho was funny, what he said made people laugh, but what fergie and rafa argue about is ridiculous, all the mind games were gud at one stage but it aint mind games anymore, fergie sayin that rafa disrespected big sam, well in the fa cup fergie disrespected everton, the fa cup and all the fans who probley paid gud money to see top players playin not a second string team play...

·
I aim to Misbehave
6,371 Posts
Mourinho was funny, what he said made people laugh, but what fergie and rafa argue about is ridiculous, all the mind games were gud at one stage but it aint mind games anymore, fergie sayin that rafa disrespected big sam, well in the fa cup fergie disrespected everton, the fa cup and all the fans who probley paid gud money to see top players playin not a second string team play...
United play every competition to win, but there's priorities. And the FA cup was the lowest of the three, at this point. After the near scare with porto, it was obvious he'd either rest key players, or risk losing the 1st place. No choice there. SAF knew Everton were a though side, he knew that they are looking at the FA with much more desire, and STILL United only lost on penalties. IF you call that disrespect, I think you clearly don't know the meaning of the word.

·
Registered
12 Posts
i agree wit sporting guy

united have a squad not 11 players an the thing about united is they are one of the big sides that aint afraid to use there younger lads

the reason were still up for 4 is that the players are rested at times and this leaves them refreshed to keep fighting in the comps were still in everton jus seemed to want it more they were never gonna score wit no jo yakubu as they had to play two midfielders up front we should have taken more of a risk than play for penaltys tho

thing is though we have in centre-midfield for example:
gibson, scholes, fletcher, hargreaves, carrick, anderson even giggs

so we can afford to chop an change as their so much talent

y all these suposed united fans complainin cos they paid to see united an they lost
maybe they should realise it aint fairytale land, we lose sometimes get over it
ur jus glory huntin this £400 quid guy needs to sort out his life
he went to see a footy match an we aint in italy, the result aint fixed
surely he shiuld no that

if hes upset try watchin macc town sometimes hahahaha now that would get him upset

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
I think that both SAF & Benitez are becoming increasingly snippy & arrogant. Wenger has the odd whinge too. :D

Perhaps most tellingly the FA Cup final is being contested by two managers who rarely have outbursts.

Since taking over Hiddink has if anything tried to push he spotlight away from himself.

Ditto for Moyes who just puts his head down and gets on with the job at hand.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts