Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
23,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just read an interesting but uncomfortable statistic for last season that prompted me to start this thread:

Ronaldo's goals = 42 = Rooney's + Tevez's + Saha's (!?!) :eek:

It simply means that the total output of our 3 strikers is only as good as a winger's or dissecting further, it can be interpreted that 38% of our goals came from one winger, another 38% came from the entire striker department and the rest from others.

It is not a sign of strength but weakness to me. For either we are relying on The Slave, essentially a winger only, too much for comfort or our strikers have really been underperforming or most likely, both.

While all credits should be due to The Slave for a superlative performance last season, we all know deep inside that such a freak scoring record is unlikely to be repeated again. That raises the concern about our potency upfront.

But does it then mean that our strike force is not as potent as we think it is or our strikers are not really that great as we hope they are or can be? Not necessarily.

If we dig further, there may be many other factors that led to this statistic that is actually not funny at all. What we already knew include Fergie's open admission that he has constantly played Rooney out of his natural position, the fatigue of Tevez cited by himself, the never-ending injuries of Saha etc. And of course to be perfectly honest, both Rooney and Tevez also 'contributed' by glaringly missing not too few sitters throughout the season.

What can or should we do?

Let's put Saha aside - he is still currently injured, would you believe it.

And Manucho too - still have not heard if he has finally gotten the work permit.

So does that mean that if Fergie switches Rooney back to his central role as he hinted he would, Rooney will surely rock the EPL again with his goals?

Or does that mean that Tevez, after finally having been rested and recharged in this off season, will finally hit his true form in terms of goals?

Or maybe both Rooney and Tevez are really supportive strikers only and we should urgently buy a proven goal scorer eg Huntelaar because we geniunely need such an established goal poacher?

Or maybe what we truly miss is another Cantona eg Berbatov to catalyse another revolution?

Or who else do you think should come in for us? How about bringing through some promising youngsters like Campbell to the fore?

Or is it some formations that we should avoid or adopt to address the issue?

Discuss and debate....

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
we do miss a natural goalscorer that is for sure.
But the quality of our midfield and the service to whoever is a forward is so good that it is masked.

We could deffo cope again without an out and out goalscorer but im sure we would all feel alot better with one.
Berbatov deal seems to be nearly there and im not 100% on signing him, although i'd rather have him than not.

Its just that his attitute is abit questionable at times, seems abit sulky etc.
But on the other side, with him we know he will score goals, especially with the service he will get here.

Maybe is moodyness is because of all the bad service at spurs muhahahaha!!

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
The Rooney and Tevez partnership is great to watch and I like it a lot but the one thing we lacked from last season was that clinical striker and no one replaced him after Ruud left. Saha would be the perfect answer but since his injured we need to get squad depth and bring in another one and imo Berbatov is the answer for that. We can than have options of either Rooney with Tevez or Rooney/Tevez with Berbatov. Last season when Rooney broke a bone in his foot twice we kind of struggled to score like that 1-0 patch we had early last season and the second time Ronaldo had to move up front and save the day...Rooney imo will have an amazing/career best season next season and Tevez after getting a good rest will perform better but incase they get injured we need someone since Saha is not dependable.

Z

·
0 Posts
A lot of questions there Mr. Versa :rolleyes:

Ronaldo's 42 goals was a one off in my opinion.

He'll never get that many again I don't think.

Saha doesn't count, I class him as more of a patient than a player.

Manucho has a broken metatarsal so won't be starting the season with us.
Still haven't heard if he's staying with us or going on loan?

If we buy an out and out striker, then only Rooney or Tevez can play, not
both. I foresee Rooney being played in most matches with Tevez being a
super sub.

It all depends on the opposition and the tactics though of course. I'm sure
they'll start games together too because of squad rotation and the fact that
they formed a pretty impressive partnership last season.

If anyone is to come through the ranks it's gotta be Campbell as you said.

We haven't had a striker come from the academy since Mark Hughes, which
is a bit depressing really.

I do think we still need an established striker though like Berbatov and I'm
sure we'll sign one before the season starts.

·
23,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
-zuco- said:
Oh no, don't get me wrong. They are hypothetical questions only and need NOT to be addressed from start to end. You can choose to focus and expound on one or a few. Hope you did not attempt to answer all. :D ;)

Thanks anyway for your comments. Make lots of sense. :)

Not so much on Berbatov that we do not already knew or expounded in another thread but some comments by Les Ferdinand on our forward line which is true.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/manchester_united/s/1059960_berbatov_has_it_all_says_les

Berbatov has it all, says Les
Stuart Mathieson
26/7/2008

DIMITAR Berbatov has the credentials to ensure European and Premier League winners United stay ahead of the pack in the new season.

Strike legend Les Ferdinand has added his name to a packed list of luminaries backing the Bulgarian to be the man to keep the Reds accelerator firmly to the floor.

Cousin of United defender Rio, Les has a Premiership CV as a hitman to know exactly what he's talking about, having starred for six clubs in the English top flight.

"Berbatov is absolute class," said Ferdinand. "He is definitely up there with the best strikers I have played with or those I have watched as a fan playing for Spurs.

"For me he is the complete centre forward. He has a sensational touch, the ability to bring other players into play, creates chances for others and scores goals. You cannot ask for more.

"He has been fantastic at Spurs and deserves all the accolades that have come his way. He hit the ground running in the Premier League and not many can do that.

"United, though, is a world stage but I have no doubt that he would thrive on the Old Trafford platform.

"Sounds like I am doing a great job of selling him aren't I? But as a Spurs fan that is the last thing I want to do!

"However, I have to admit he is one of the few around who would enhance United after what they did last season."

United and Tottenham are currently engaged in a `tapping up' row over Berbatov and an initial Old Trafford bid was rejected. But the 27-year-old remains Fergie's priority this summer.

"People might say why do you need to add Berbatov or anyone when you have won the Champions League and the Premiership?" Ferdinand added.

"But you have to keep that momentum going. As soon as there is any sign of complacency or resting on laurels then opponents would be quick to take advantage of it.

"But Sir Alex doesn't let that happen. He also wants to push on and keep his club on the front foot all the time. That is why he has identified a talent like Dimitar. He can do that."

The sale of Giuseppe Rossi, the retirement of Ole Solskjaer and the injury-wrecked season of Louis Saha saw United walk a striker tightrope last term.

Cristiano Ronaldo's 42 goals and 18 apiece from Wayne Rooney and Carlos Tevez saw them navigate the campaign successfully. But restoring a four-strong strike force is paramount.

"Sir Alex pioneered the four senior strikers situation and everyone has followed," Les added. "But he got away with it a bit last season not having the full complement. You need depth up front and he would be lucky to get away with it two seasons running. He was fortunate last season.

"Nobody knows what is going to happen about Ronaldo. If he stays will he score another 40-odd goals? Carlos Tevez and Wayne Rooney contributed but you need someone else to take the pressure off them.

"So United need another centre-forward
and Berbatov fits the bill.

"He ticks a lot of boxes for United. He can keep everyone on their toes because he is good enough to go in and do it for them straight away. He is proven in England now and he can add a new and extra dimension to United's attack.

"They have not really had the option of a big man up front who can hold the ball up since Ruud van Nistelrooy left. Although they have won the title twice since he left it is still something they have missed.

"If you add that to what they have already got it makes them an even more formidable force up front."

·
Stretford Ender
2,270 Posts
-zuco- said:

Wonder how many people would have said that after CL Final when he was adored by all. He has had two good seasons now so last season was no fluke in my eyes.

Expect more of the same next season, just hope its for us and not the Spanish World XI side.

·
Proto-Hipster
46,959 Posts
the reason why rooney didnt score that much
cuz he
1.aint good finisher
2.fergie played him on the wing allot of times
3.the greedy slave dont pass the ball and take all the chances

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
-zuco- said:

I absolutely agree.

I think we need to re-look at the way we play. No doubt we played fantastic football.

But we seemed to be too reliant on Ronaldo, and we weren't playing as much as a team as we have been.

I think a lack of a fit 25-30 goal a season striker (I believe Saha is one but notice how I said fit ;)) is what was a big part of the problem last season, and hopefully if we sign one the problem will be sorted.

And also, we lacked goals from other positions. Central midfield and Ferdinand and Vidic scored less also.

·
Stretford Ender
2,270 Posts
manutd004 said:
I absolutely agree.

I think we need to re-look at the way we play. No doubt we played fantastic football.

But we seemed to be too reliant on Ronaldo, and we weren't playing as much as a team as we have been.

I think a lack of a fit 25-30 goal a season striker (I believe Saha is one but notice how I said fit ;)) is what was a big part of the problem last season, and hopefully if we sign one the problem will be sorted.

And also, we lacked goals from other positions. Central midfield and Ferdinand and Vidic scored less also.
Yeah, Van Der Sar didnt score too many either.

I couldnt care less who scores the goals as long as we are scoring goals.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts