Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having seen the Fifa club world cup final earlier today it strikes me that there is a huge scope there for Fifa to really put Football on a whole new level.

As it stands the Club World Cup is just seen as an un-needed distraction for most European sides but this could possibly change in the coming years ... well in my opinion it has to change! Instead of this idea of this 39th Premier League game couldnt Fifa introduce a World Championship for the worlds premier clubs ? Most of us all agree that Football is a growing business and it is something that will only grow in it's popularity, but bringing the greatest sides like United, Liverpool, Barcelona Real Madrid, the Milan clubs Boca Juniors, Rive Plate, Sao Paulo Corinthians, Club America of Mexico to some of the great Countries and Cities like Abu Dhabi, Sydney, New York, Moscow, Tokyo, Rio and Buenos Aries would be truely magical ... it's something to think about i suppose, what would your format be like and do you agree that this is the future if Fifa have the ability to make it as fashionable and the Champions League ?

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
im glad someone started a thread on this. i couldnt be asked to get round to it tonight.

but after listening to the views from the pundits on 5 live today it really got me thinking.

I am a massive fan of the competition. have been since 99, i know different names and structures back then but all of it is roughly the same thing put into what we won today.

Now the problem with this comp is its to easy i believe for the European club. if they dont win it, its classed a massive upset. and thats why the comp hasnt took off. plus its played in japan (doesnt really help the rest of the wortld) and its in the middle of december. these are all big issues.

But i was thinking today. What if we had it like we had the world cup. It came around once every 4 years. so like how the world cup was in 1998, 2002, 2006 and next 2010. why cant this be like 1997, 2001, 2005 and next 2009. and be played in the summer like the world cup. i know some leagues are played during the summer around the world. but ya know the world cup must disturb that so why cant this. im just a selfish englishman and it wouldnt effect us so im going to pass that for now lol. but then players need their rest during the summer but they still go to the world cup once every 4 years so meh.

but the problem is getting the teams and how. who deserves to be in it and why. its unfair to say chelsea united milans madrid barca because they are the best. i know yes they are but its still unfair to the rest of the worlds clubs. there needs to be a better way. because at the moment the compitition isnt high enough for the europeans and their simply aint enough teams involved in the comp.

so if someone could find a way of getting a group of the best world teams from all parts of the globe and turning it into a world cup but for clubs i would love it personally. but how would this be done. god knows

but one for the future i hope.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree with the summer idea, it makes sense doesn't it really, the most difficault thing to decide is how does a team qualify to be good enough to enter the competition ? maybe to top 2 sides from England, Spain, Italy, the Champions from Holland, France and Germany and then include the finalists from the other continental competitions such as the libatadores ? All pie in the sky of course as i've said the biggest stumbling block will be how does a team become eligable for this competition ? But hey how great will this be one day, certainly the future in my opinion.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Drew9 said:
I agree with the summer idea, it makes sense doesn't it really, the most difficault thing to decide is how does a team qualify to be good enough to enter the competition ? maybe to top 2 sides from England, Spain, Italy, the Champions from Holland, France and Germany and then include the finalists from the other continental competitions such as the libatadores ? All pie in the sky of course as i've said the biggest stumbling block will be how does a team become eligable for this competition ? But hey how great will this be one day, certainly the future in my opinion.
problem with saying the top two of each league still wouldnt work. because where the comp would be so big and tiering like the world cup it would have to be once every 4 years. because once a season would kill all players.

then imagine united finished top 2 for 3 years. then in final year finish 3rd so we couldnt qualify, that would be hard done by so that wouldnt work

then theirs ok the team that finish top two the most over 4 years. well what if we have a diff top two all 4 years. i know unlikely but not in some countries around the world.

and then imagine if united and chelsea finished top two but scousers won CL does that mean scousers deserves to be in it more than chelsea or us

wow im thinking to deep into a comp that dont even exist really. maybe i should write my idea to fifa and hope someone gets back to me. i could make millions :eek: :rolleyes:

·
Banned
9,926 Posts
I agree with the World Cup idea proposed. Hold it every 4 years and say 2 clubs
from; Europe, South America; Asia, America, South Africa...

Run a straight knock-out format where clubs can't meet their fellow continental
team and run all the way to a final.

As for the venue, simple, rotate it, first in Asia, second in Europe, Third in South
America etc...

...and then as for where abouts in the continent, that governing body sorts it out,
so if England want to go for it, then UEFA hear their case and decide.

But at then end of the day, the whoel thing is just about money

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Keano! said:
I agree with the World Cup idea proposed. Hold it every 4 years and say 2 clubs
from; Europe, South America; Asia, America, South Africa...

Run a straight knock-out format where clubs can't meet their fellow continental
team and run all the way to a final.

As for the venue, simple, rotate it, first in Asia, second in Europe, Third in South
America etc...

...and then as for where abouts in the continent, that governing body sorts it out,
so if England want to go for it, then UEFA hear their case and decide.

But at then end of the day, the whole thing is just about money
but its getting a way to find two teams from each continent that deserve to be in it every 4 years which is the prob behind it all. the idea is good tho

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Keano! said:
Champions League Finalists....

Copa Libatores (sp) finalists....

etc..
thing is tho, as i said in an earlier post. were it would be over 4 years. say if us and chelsea got in final for 3 years and then in the 4th arsenal and liverpool got in it sounds a bit meh dont it.

unless your have whoever reached the final the most but what if different teams reached it each year lol

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
either go back to the champions of europe v south america or drastically re-vamp it, agree with the other comment every 4 years or so with the top teams from those years competing. for fifa to suggest that was more than amarketing excerise is a joke...i am all for progressing the game around the world and encouraging the quality and raising the levels of football on all continents but the method at the moment isn't the way to go about it. lets face is apart from 2 sides in the competition the other shouldn't have been anywhere near it.

·
I aim to Misbehave
6,371 Posts
I don't think it's doable... Every 4 years there's a World Cup, and between those, every 4 there's a European Cup. So every 2 years there's National teams playing, with qualifying games in between. that leaves the player's holidays for that kind of competition, which, in my view, isn't doable.
If you do if every 2 years, which teams do you select? The current year's Continental competitors, of the previous year's? Or both?

Between national leagues, national cups, continental competition, national team games, league cup games (for those that have them), and a few others, that's about 50-60 games a year. you want to push it close to 70... Not seeing it.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Sporting4Ever said:
I don't think it's doable... Every 4 years there's a World Cup, and between those, every 4 there's a European Cup. So every 2 years there's National teams playing, with qualifying games in between. that leaves the player's holidays for that kind of competition, which, in my view, isn't doable.
If you do if every 2 years, which teams do you select? The current year's Continental competitors, of the previous year's? Or both?

Between national leagues, national cups, continental competition, national team games, league cup games (for those that have them), and a few others, that's about 50-60 games a year. you want to push it close to 70... Not seeing it.
yeah i agree. earlier post i said something about it being too much for the players. just a nice thought tho. would take footballs competitive side to a global scale. thing is iv never been into world cup, like traveling to watch england. but im always up for travelling with united. just be great to go to a nice country for few weeks with loads of reds to get on the session and sing our songs on a global scale and rule the world properly.

same old united fan tho, love united...meh england.....expect the best!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts