Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Firstly... There's been 1 or 2 threads where the Glazers have been bashed... I asked the question as to why there is a hatred toward them and never got an explanation (thread got old and no1 was looking at it...)

My initial opinion regarding the glazers like most fans was not a good one, with bringing debt into the club etc...

However since they've taken over in my opinion things have improved! Ticket prices aren't overly extravagent unlike prices at the emerites which i hear are v high. Most importantly we've been playing well and we've been competing both for honours and fr signatures of top players!

So why is there still hatred toward them... I don't understand it...

Secondly... During the Munich anniversary there was an excellent tribute to the busby babes on the front of old trafford, i was at the match and thought it looked great... however there was an absolute disgust by some fans due to the fact that the AIG logo was in the corner... I honestly cannot understand what the fuss was over this... fair enough maybe they shouldn't be putting there name to the tragedy but didn't they agree to their logo being removed from the one off kits in a match that would be watched globally by millions due to the significance of the day in question!!! Is this not very accomodating because it is in my view... it really is!!!!

Just my opinion and I'd like to hear your's and your explanations... Because I'm a big fan and these issues have not caused me to lose any sleep

Cheers guys!!

S

·
0 Posts
1 or two thread ????? More like 135 threads covering it all
http://www.manutdtalk.com/forums/search.php?searchid=35344
Glazer gnomes......see some of my posts from before Christmas.
All the questions you are asking have been done to death on here many many times.

AIG....If you put up a memorial to members of your family who had perished in a plane crash would you be happy for AIG ( Accident Insurance Group, how convenient ) to put an advert on your memorial ?

I think you, your family and your friends would be disgusted.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
they're the club's sponsors, i personally didnt see a prob with this, I think though that they were very accomodating in the fact that they didnt have their logo on the shirts, that match got alot of coverage and that type of advertising is priceless!

·
Registered
303 Posts
eoininho said:
Firstly... There's been 1 or 2 threads where the Glazers have been bashed... I asked the question as to why there is a hatred toward them and never got an explanation (thread got old and no1 was looking at it...)

My initial opinion regarding the glazers like most fans was not a good one, with bringing debt into the club etc...

However since they've taken over in my opinion things have improved! Ticket prices aren't overly extravagent unlike prices at the emerites which i hear are v high. Most importantly we've been playing well and we've been competing both for honours and fr signatures of top players!

So why is there still hatred toward them... I don't understand it...

Secondly... During the Munich anniversary there was an excellent tribute to the busby babes on the front of old trafford, i was at the match and thought it looked great... however there was an absolute disgust by some fans due to the fact that the AIG logo was in the corner... I honestly cannot understand what the fuss was over this... fair enough maybe they shouldn't be putting there name to the tragedy but didn't they agree to their logo being removed from the one off kits in a match that would be watched globally by millions due to the significance of the day in question!!! Is this not very accomodating because it is in my view... it really is!!!!

Just my opinion and I'd like to hear your's and your explanations... Because I'm a big fan and these issues have not caused me to lose any sleep

Cheers guys!!

I agree at first hated them but they have let Fergie get on with it so cant moan to much.

·
Registered
675 Posts
eoininho said:
they're the club's sponsors, i personally didnt see a prob with this, I think though that they were very accomodating in the fact that they didnt have their logo on the shirts, that match got alot of coverage and that type of advertising is priceless!
i kind of agree with you on the advertising thing. for AIG to remove there logo from the kit on a VERY important matched. allegedly watched by around 1 BILLION people, is quite a big thing. a little logo on the side of a memorial photo is hardly enough compared to the upset they would of caused if they left there sponser on the shirt.

·
Registered
6,605 Posts
Personally, if AIG were paying for the Munich poster, then, rightly, they should have had a logo on it. I do not have a problem with that but only if they paid for it.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Red Devil said:
Personally, if AIG were paying for the Munich poster, then, rightly, they should have had a logo on it. I do not have a problem with that but only if they paid for it.
Word is, they paid near 300k for the whole event.

·
Registered
17 Posts
You look at what Hicks & Gillette are doing to Liverpool, I think 95% of united fans thought this would happen to us....

Fergie has had more money to spend then ever "FACT" They don't get involved with team affairs.... The only think they have done is sell the united brand better abroad... Ticket prices went up 2-16% last year "FACT"

Gas prices went up 15-22% last week plus 10% the year before.. I'm a season ticket holder N3304 -123 /124 MY SEATS COST £1500 for the pair...plus cup tickets...... but I can't think of any other activity that you can do for 10 months of the year without spending more....

I went to Arsenal v United in October it cost £62 for a seat in the away end...

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
SHERLZ6899 said:
You look at what Hicks & Gillette are doing to Liverpool, I think 95% of united fans thought this would happen to us....

Fergie has had more money to spend then ever "FACT" They don't get involved with team affairs.... The only think they have done is sell the united brand better abroad... Ticket prices went up 2-16% last year "FACT"

Gas prices went up 15-22% last week plus 10% the year before.. I'm a season ticket holder N3304 -123 /124 MY SEATS COST £1500 for the pair...plus cup tickets...... but I can't think of any other activity that you can do for 10 months of the year without spending more....

I went to Arsenal v United in October it cost £62 for a seat in the away end...
Exactly what im sayin!!

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
I adopted a 'let's wait and see what happens' attitude when the Glazers took over.

I'm pleased about the players we've been able to bring in and the fact that they haven't intefered with Fergie or the coaching staff.

The increase in ticket prices is irritating but considering I only attend a maximum of 10 games per season it hasn't effected me too much.

Although I am still concerned about the long-term financial stability of the club.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
just a few complaints about the glazers .
number 1 , the ammount of debt they have put against the club.
number 2 , the ticket price increases and i dont like to hear the ,compared to chelski and arse we are still cheap.
number 3 , the compulsory ticket purchase scheme for all cup matches.

Other than that can have few complaints , they have backed fergie in the transfer market when required.

·
Registered
75 Posts
In August this year, the debt will reach £755m and even the increased profit announced in the last accounts cannot cope with that for very long.

In addition, the Accounts reveal there are £56m of transfer fees still to be paid for the newer players and if certain conditions are met, another £21m would be payable on top of that.

I have no irrational hatred for the Glazers because they are jewish, or because they are American but my rational distaste is simply because they have embarked on a financial plan which is questionable at the very least and downright dangerous at the worst.

As a United Director said recently, "if it wasn't for the Glazers, we'd have so much money we wouldn't know what to do with it..."

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
if it ever came to the situation that the club was in financial trouble, surely some multi billionaire would come out of the woodwork and buy the best team in the world!

We'll never really be in financial trouble don't worry!

·
Registered
75 Posts
You're not taking into account the nature of the beast.

Let me try you with an example. If times did get hard, like someone who couldn't pay their mortgage, you'd sell everything you could to try to hang on to your home, before you'd think of selling it.

If a potential buyer knows there are problems, he/she is likely to sit back and get the business for the best price he/she can. As a result, the Glazers might sale and leaseback OT to try to reduce the JP Morgan debt. They might re-name the ground to try to raise a lump sum to defray some of the debt. Ultimately, they might sell some of the players (although with £56m of outstanding transfer fees they might find a clamour from those other creditors). Anything not to lose the business.

Either way, a blind hope of a white knight willing to pay top dollar because this is "the best team in the world" is optimistic in the extreme. As we are seeing at the moment, DIC is unwilling to pay over the odds for Liverpool as they are aware of the problems in Hicks & Gillett's situation and are sitting back and waiting for the situation to worsen so they can buy in a lot cheaper than the Americans want.

Granted, United is in a far better position in terms of income, but the debt level, currently increasing at £25m per year is also a lot greater.

It may be that nothing ever goes wrong and the Glazers can refinance once again and keep the wolf from the door. What I have said, and this is purely my opinion of them in the spirit of the original question is that they are chancers who have taken deliberate steps to endanger the football club I have followed and supported financially for over thirty years and in any reasonable part of the world, that should not be allowed to happen. The fact that it can happen is the biggest shame our FA should hold its hands up to - scrapping the paid directors rule, scrapping rule 34, allowing higher dividend payments and allowing non-football holding companies has contributed to this.

This was NOT inevitable. It cannot happen in Germany, France or Spain!

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
An informed, interesting and though provoking post as always kingstreet.

Like I said - the long-term future of Man United is still a concern for me. Ever increasing debt is unsustainable and you can only put prices up so much before it has a negative effect on the revenue generated.

People talk about United of having an incredible Worldwide fan base but just how much money can the club get out of these people?

We are making record profits and levels of revenue but it is still not enough to pay off the debts. What plans do the Glazers have to increase revenue streams further and will they be detrimental to the fans?

·
Registered
406 Posts
Justice said:
I hate the Glazers because they bring in players we wouldn't have had the resources to get before.
We wouldnt have had the resources to get before ? Is there some kind of sarcasm here? cause Im not getting it.

I share the views of the ever impressive reddwarf. We disagree on minor issues, but I totally agree with your main points.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Justice said:
I hate the Glazers because they bring in players we wouldn't have had the resources to get before.
I'm with Keano's Fan, here. Is this an attempt at a wind-up, or some form of irony at work?

The plc paid cash for everything. No borrowing. Remember £31m for Ferdinand? £29m for Rooney? £28m for Veron? £20m for Ruud? In total, in excess of £170m between 2001 and 2005. Here's the list;-

Ruud £19.8, Veron £28.4, Ferdinand £31.1, Rooney £29.8, Bellion £2.8, Carroll £3.4, Djemba £3.4, Heinze £6.8, Howard £2.2, Kleberson £5.8, Ricardo £1.5, Ronaldo £11.9, Saha £12.5, Smith £7.0, Forlan £6.9.

Now I'm no posterboy for public ownership, but comparing the plc years to Glazer ownership where over £40m a year goes out before we spend a penny on anything, makes their ownership a tad expensive considering we get nothing out of the deal!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts