Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
9,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are your opinions on Glazer, the takeover, the way the club is run, and, off on a tangent, I suppose we have to mention FC United of Manchester?

Considering we are coming up to the 4th year since that dreadful day in May 2005.

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
Tough to complain about the results on the pitch, but that's never been the point. I can say one thing honestly, he's certainly made me put up with a great deal of shit for being American. The way everyone was priced out makes me sick.

Then again, without the Glazers there'd be not FCUM who are undoubtedly all that is right with football. Not only in their passionate, steadfast and die hard support but in the work they do with the community.

I guess there's two sides to the coin, and I'm not sure if the good outweighs the bad in this case or not. Time will tell I suppose.

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
I still hate them. I love the fact that we've won a lot recently, but our debt is a massive concern.

I can see a day when we'll have to sell players to finance it.

·
Banned
12,703 Posts
It's not the debt that worries me much, we'll pay it back and if
the Glazers ever want to sell United they won't ask for much as
they didn't pay it, so they'd sell the club for a small amount of money
but with debts attached. It's not our economic future that worries
me, it's just the complete difference in general approach to the club.

I can confidently say that we are no loger a football club but a
brand, our own players make a mockery out of us, we're selling shirts
in South Africa for the average monthly wage and we're flying off to
Singapore or Korea or wherever on a regular basis. We release a new
shirt every year and people still go, with their favourite player on the
back (growing up, having a name on the back of your shirt made you
a mug).

·
Arse Bandito
1,527 Posts
they're playing a dangerous game, but it's the only one they can play to get success and ultimately, some profit one day.
they have to splash out on the best players for fergie, because their business model is based on the assumption that we are very successful.

we are loaded with debt, which scares me, because it is inevitable that we will have bad seasons where maybe we finish 3rd and get knocked out early in the champions league. will our club be in trouble then?

they may have financed new players, and we may have been successful since they arrived, but i still wish that they had never come in.

with regard to fc, i sympathise with them and understand their cause. i'd love to get down to gigg lane for a game sometime, my cousin goes regularly and loves it. i wouldn't dare question their love for united, but personally i cannot imagine choosing not to watch them play if it were possible for me to do so. of course, i object to the high ticket prices and the churning out of a "memorial shirt" every year, but i understand that they have me wrapped around their little finger because they know that if you or i don't pay for the season ticket, then someone else will. that's why they imposed the auto cup scheme. they don't care a jot about atmosphere, if the ground is full. and because of the globalisation of our brand, it invariably will be

·
He wipes front to back
27,654 Posts
i would love the fans to own the club .

i believe in santa and the tooth fairy too .

so far not so bad .

like i had a say when edwards clan ruled the roost anyway

·
Registered
773 Posts
It's not the debt that worries me much, we'll pay it back and if
the Glazers ever want to sell United they won't ask for much as
they didn't pay it, so they'd sell the club for a small amount of money
but with debts attached. It's not our economic future that worries
me, it's just the complete difference in general approach to the club.

I can confidently say that we are no loger a football club but a
brand, our own players make a mockery out of us, we're selling shirts
in South Africa for the average monthly wage and we're flying off to
Singapore or Korea or wherever on a regular basis. We release a new
shirt every year and people still go, with their favourite player on the
back (growing up, having a name on the back of your shirt made you
a mug).
then, we will see ronaldo leaves ManUtd...

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
they have a massive problem with how the have structured the club financially and most people wont forgive or forget that......it could still all fall apart very easily, luckily we are a big enough club that someone would step in- but by then serious damage could have already been done.

the only saving grace is that they aren't meddling owners like all too many have- they don't dictate who we buy or seem to get in the way of the playing side and mess things up there with their own ill informed and ignorant views

·
Registered
53 Posts
We were always open to be bought by ANYBODY with the means to do it.....
Glazers....erm, could have been worse ...Ken Bates, Freddie Shepherd, Mike Ashley,
Peter Ridsdale....... The great thing the Glazers HAVE done is leave Fergie & Gill
to it..... I can't think of many other potential owners who would not have been
able to resist more day to day involvement....

The debt...... I don't lose sleep over it , it ios not mine, and yes, they will sell the
club for a VERY NICE profit when it suits them and the debt will probably disappear...

Of course, ticket prices are, unfortunately, through the roof - but would they have been
any cheaper under Uncle Martin, BSkyB, Uncle Tom Cobbley ???????

Main thing is we are doing well on the pitch, that's where my focus is......funny really,
when I first started watching football, nobody gave a stuff who owned the club...and
here's another thing... debt on football clubs can't be anything new.... nor clubs becoming
insolvent...

Newton Heath LY&R FC went bankrupt in 1903 which is how MUFC came to fruition,
and I believe similar happened to Leeds City to become LUFC..... not wishing bankruptcy
on us of course, but there is precedent...

As for FCUM, I wish them well, but Man United FC is my bag.........always will be.....

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
We were always open to be bought by ANYBODY with the means to do it.....
Glazers....erm, could have been worse ...Ken Bates, Freddie Shepherd, Mike Ashley,
Peter Ridsdale....... The great thing the Glazers HAVE done is leave Fergie & Gill
to it..... I can't think of many other potential owners who would not have been
able to resist more day to day involvement....

The debt...... I don't lose sleep over it , it ios not mine, and yes, they will sell the
club for a VERY NICE profit when it suits them and the debt will probably disappear...

Of course, ticket prices are, unfortunately, through the roof - but would they have been
any cheaper under Uncle Martin, BSkyB, Uncle Tom Cobbley ???????

Main thing is we are doing well on the pitch, that's where my focus is......funny really,
when I first started watching football, nobody gave a stuff who owned the club...and
here's another thing... debt on football clubs can't be anything new.... nor clubs becoming
insolvent...

Newton Heath LY&R FC went bankrupt in 1903 which is how MUFC came to fruition,
and I believe similar happened to Leeds City to become LUFC..... not wishing bankruptcy
on us of course, but there is precedent...

As for FCUM, I wish them well, but Man United FC is my bag.........always will be.....
You pretty much took the words right out of my mouth there mate!

Fact is yes they have a debt on the club, but we're the biggest earning football club in the world and that debt is very servicable... not that I want debt but in reality it hasn't caused any serious problems for us yet (and I dont believe it will!)

They know they don't understand the game and have left it to the two best people imaginable to run the club in Fergie and Gill, I really thank them for that, I was v worried when they 1st came in that they wouldn't give Fergie the freedom he had for the previous few decades... they realise our system works, its not broke, dont fix it end of! They haaven't done a Hicks and Gillet or worse a Spurs where they're buying and selling players without the managers say...

I dont Hate Glazer, yes he see's it as a business but at the end of the day he needs his investment to be successful, and in football that means we must be successful on the pitch... he in a slightly twisted way has the same goals for the club as we have... and he is supplying the tools we need to achieve them! I'm not a fan the 'fans' who left United over this for FCUM ... though thick and thin I will always support United!

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
dont really care. fergie said their is no need to worry. fergie said their is no serious debt and fergie says the glazers have handled everything well. when fergie says its its panic time ill listen but he knows better about our club than anyone else

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
How much, if any, of the debt is paid off at this stage?
could anyone fill me in on how the debt situation is being handled. how much of it have united payed back?
My understanding is that none of it has been paid back. The Glazers have just been paying off the interest on the loans.

I'd be happy for someone to correct me if that is wrong.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
The more you read on it the scarier it is......

I'm not quite sure how it works but i have done a bit of reading on this (and normally confuses me more) but im sure in a few years we will have to make big lump sum payments....(such as £12 million, then another £12-13 million a year or two down the line)
Where is that type of capital going to come from?!(selling players??!?)
A trophyless season would kill us.:mad:

Alot of fans dont realise the danger OUR football club could be in."Ostrich" and "head in sand" come to mind.:wacko:
SAF, surely is in no position to disagree with his own boss in such a manner is he!!!!?

LUHG

how much debt are we in?!My understanding is that we are in MORE debt as the Glazers are only paying minimum they have too.I could be wrong though

·
Banned
9,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think the Glazers know that they can't touch Fergie, and I wouldn't be suprised if they are biding their time until SAF goes, then I dread what the relationship between the new boss and the owners then.

. and he is supplying the tools we need to achieve them! I'm not a fan the 'fans' who left United over this for FCUM ... though thick and thin I will always support United!
The FCUM lot never left United for FCUM. They created FCUM.

dont really care. fergie said their is no need to worry. fergie said their is no serious debt and fergie says the glazers have handled everything well. when fergie says its its panic time ill listen but he knows better about our club than anyone else
You really think Fergie will say something which is a) against his boss; b) would cause unrest amongst us lot, and c) would harm his on field perfomances.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I think the debt is the biggest issue when the Glazer is concerned. Still waiting for them to work on it even thou i have no idea how they are going to do so without increasing the tix price which will of course pissed our match goers fans the more and rightly so. As much as i dont like them but i have to appreciate there is no interference from them with regards of everything on the pitch. For how long that will last, only they know but hopefully if they intend to stay for a long time, then atleast make that only positive thing about them last.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
I think the Glazers know that they can't touch Fergie, and I wouldn't be suprised if they are biding their time until SAF goes, then I dread what the relationship between the new boss and the owners then.

The FCUM lot never left United for FCUM. They created FCUM.

You really think Fergie will say something which is a) against his boss; b) would cause unrest amongst us lot, and c) would harm his on field perfomances.
yeah good point i guess but in regards to his boss i think the glazers know they are on thin ice with the united faithful as it is sacking fergie for comments he might make could ruin everything for them so fergie might no he holds that against them

1 - 20 of 33 Posts