Manchester United Talk banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
These latest figures are a concern - especially since they coincide with rumours of a number of takeover bids by consortiums in Asia.

I think the Glazers have badly misjudged how much money they can squeeze out of the fans. The fact that there are still season tickets available when not so long ago the waiting list was a few years speaks volumes.

If it were not for the increased TV revenue and the sponsorship deal with AIG the Glazers would probably be already in discussions to sell the club.

My main worry is that if they decide to stay then they need something that will dramatically increase revenue e.g. an independent TV deal to cover United's matches in a new breakaway European Super League. I do not want to see that happen.

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
America is a very tough market to break into though.

We've already tried linking with the New York Yankees to promote ourselves over there but it was a failure. There just wasn't enough interest.

Strangely, Beckham going over there (once he's fit and manages to play in few games without getting injured!) could help us out. As a World icon and former Manchester United player he could generate interest not only in football but in United.

The main problem with cracking the Asian market is the sheer volume of fake kits available, because that's where most of them are made. Why fork out on expensive replica shirts when you can get a cheap knock off for a fraction of the price? My United t-shirt cost me £40, I could have got a fake kit in the local market for less than £10.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.