Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_1/7614022.stm

Reading's opener, which has been officially recorded as an own goal by Eustace, will go down as one of the strangest goals ever.

Stephen Hunt whipped in a corner which was contested by Noel Hunt and Eustace at the near post.

The ball bounced over the line - four yards wide of the goal - before being hooked back into play by Noel Hunt.

Reading's Andre Bikey headed back towards goal, where keeper Scott Loach made a save, but the linesman had already flagged - for a goal.

And referee Stuart Attwell gave the goal to total bemusement around the stadium.

The crazy world of football eh ??? :D

·
Registered
99 Posts
yh i read bout this on the bbc website just a minute ago. The watford boss said that it was one of the strangest things he has seen in football.

·
Registered
5,167 Posts
Should they? Imagine the trouble that would have happened if they had let them score. That'd open the doorway for a massive points decuction. Refs decision is final. Noway in hell they should have let them score. Match fixing etc, i'd cause chaos.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
I know people will now be screaming for video technology, but come on.

Its hardly a hard decisions to make. Its just simply a massive, massive blunder. I would really want to hear the linesmans thoughts.

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
I just saw this. Something has to be done post match. I know, I know, ref's decision's final.

However Reading didn't score, they knew, the crowd knew, Watford knew, the only man out of the loop was the ref's assistant.

If none of the players see the goal and nobody claims the goal then even if the linesman flags for a goal shouldn't the referee just say no?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
For those saying " Reading should have let them score" would you say the same thing if it was a United "goal" last week against the dippers ?
I doubt it very much, you'd be doing the same as i would...laughing my testicles off. :D

RR made the most sensible comment i've read...

Imagine the trouble that would have happened if they had let them score. That'd open the doorway for a massive points decuction. Refs decision is final. Noway in hell they should have let them score. Match fixing etc, it would cause chaos.

Tough on Watford i know and the most stupid thing i've seen in football for many years.

As the thread title says..The goal that never was.

All you quiz/trivia buffs...watch out for this in years to come. ;)

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Reading goal error to be examined
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/w/watford/7628234.stm

The decision to award Reading the opener in their 2-2 draw with Watford will be reviewed by the Professional Game Match Officials Board.

Assistant referee Nigel Bannister advised referee Stuart Atwell to award a goal, despite the ball going four yards wide of the goal.

PGMOA assistant referee's manager Paul Rejer told Watford's website: "It appears a mistake has been made.

"It will be reviewed by us. If it is a serious error, he will regret it."

He continued: "It was the assistant referee who gave the goal and from his position and angle it appeared the ball had crossed the line for a goal. He has made a human error.

"The referee has no way of knowing for definite; he was relying on his assistant referee to make that decision.

"Performances by referees and assistant referees are reviewed after every game, both on the day and by DVD."

The 'goal' was registered as an own goal by Watford's John Eustace, who was challenging Noel Hunt.

Former Premier League referee Graham Poll said the decision was inexplicable and had sympathy for the Watford players and manager, Aidy Boothroyd, who was sent to the stands after remonstrating with the officials.

Poll told BBC Radio Five Live: "This is the most bizarre situation I've ever seen in 40 years watching football and 27 years refereeing.

"I heard about it then watched the highlights thinking 'it can't be how it's described', but it is. He (Bannister) has got a clear view of it. It's completely inexplicable.

"The referee must be respected, obviously, but in such circumstances, as a player, how do you not lose your temper?"

After the match, Boothroyd told BBC London 94.9: "I went to see the referee and in fairness to him, although he wasn't brilliant today, you can't blame him if there's a guy in his ear telling him it's a goal.

"The linesman has decided it's a goal. I've asked him about it and he said it was an optical illusion.

"I saw the ball go out for a goal-kick and my centre-half has put his hand up and asked for the goal-kick and for some strange reason a goal has been given."

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
An absolutely ridiculous decision by the officials who should be suspended for making such a serious mistake.

To award a goal when everyone else in the ground could see that the ball had not only not crossed the line but was well wide of the goal is one of the worst decisions of all-time.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
I would be surprised if this happened in all honesty;

Royals boss open to replay
Reading boss would be happy to face Watford again

Reading boss Steve Coppell would be prepared to replay their Championship clash with Watford.

The clash at Vicarage Road began in farcical circumstances when assistant referee Nigel Bannister flagged for a goal instead of a corner after the ball crossed the line wide of the goal, following a challenge between John Eustace and Royals striker Noel Hunt.

Not a single Royals player appealed for the goal, but referee Stuart Attwell gave Coppell's men a 1-0 lead on Bannister's advice, despite furious protests from the Watford players and manager Aidy Boothroyd.

The match eventually finished 2-2 and after reviewing video evidence of the comical opener Coppell has admitted he would agree for the match to be played again if the Football League decide that is the best course of action.

Precedent

He told the club's official website: "I've seen it and my conclusion is obviously that it wasn't right.

"If the authorities decide a replay is the correct thing to do then I've got no objections whatsoever.

"I'm not sure there's a precedent but if that's what people decide then I am quite happy to do it. We don't want to be seen to be taking advantage of anything.

"I have sympathy with Watford and I really don't know what to say to make it right.

"But if the Football League phone me now and say something was definitely wrong I'm happy to go along with it."

Winger Stephen Hunt - who took the corner - admitted the linesman's verdict was "the worst decision I have ever witnessed".

Hunt said: "It was a screamer! No, it was probably the worst decision I have ever witnessed.

"We can't do anything about it. It's not our mistake, but what can you do? You can't say 'no ref, it wasn't in'."

Operational advice

Paul Rejer, assistant referee's manager at the Professional Game Match Officials board, admitted they would be speaking to Bannister.

He said: "Nobody likes making errors and if it is a serious error, which we have got to review, then obviously he'll regret it.

"The assistant referee gave what he saw and if it is incorrect then we will look at that and give him operational advice.

"It was the assistant referee who gave the goal and from his position and angle it appeared the ball had crossed the line for a goal. He has made a human error.

"When the ball is bobbling about in the penalty area it is difficult to know - at the particular moment that the assistant has indicated - that the ball has crossed the line.

"The referee has no way of knowing for definite; he was relying on his assistant referee to make that decision.

"Performances by referees and assistant referees are reviewed after every game, both on the day and by DVD."

==========================================================

Replaying it is really a ridiculous idea imho.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts