Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Proto-Hipster
46,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so since i have been moved from a defender to a goalkeeper because i got some reports from other students and players for being "Foully in a dangerous way" :rolleyes: so now am the 2nd goalie for my team and am just 173 cm :blink:
i used to be afraid of the ball but not anymore now am getting more interested in my new position and training more and learning better techniques for saving and at the same time am starting to have more attraction for real goalkeepers

so what goalkeepers you think are great and whom goalies do you rate ?

imo Inter's goalie catches the eye his performance against us was magical

my top 10 goalies of this time is

1. Buffon
2. Casillias
3. Given
4. Frey
5. Cesar
6. Cech
7. Reina
8. Lloris
9. Van Der Sar
10. James

so lets debate about goalies

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
I think Buffon and Casillas are way ahead in 1st and 2nd. Cech used to be a close 3rd but he hasn't been the same since that head injury.

None will surpass Schmeichal though. He was the best goalkeeper I have seen in my lifetime.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Edwin should be way up that list.

I used to be a sub/goalkeeper for a season back when I was 15.
Once went on a trip to Wales and Liverpool, got smashed on peach snapps and vodka before a game.
I was only sub keeper that day(didnt think I would play), but the manager put me on cos I had been a bollocks the night before.
We had stayed up to watch the Tyson vs Bruno fight till 5 or 6 in the morning. It only lasted a few seconds lol. Anyway, he put me on in goal where I actually fell asleep on duty. We lost about 10-0 to some Scouse side. Unfortunately thats a true story. My mates think its hilarious though and bring it up from time to time. Now Im a defender who stays awake and alert during games. Not bad and all :D

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
My top 10 would be:
1. Buffon
2. Casillias
3. Van Der Sar
4. Cesar
5. Cech
6. Reina
7. Frey
8. Given
9. Lloris
10. James

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
James should no way be in that list IMO.

Kameni should be in there. Friedal's been nothing special this season either, though talent wise he should be up there.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Maybe I would put there Fulham's Mark Schwarzer. He doesn't play for a strong team and has good savings in almost every match he plays. Edwin, Buffon, Casillas, Cesar, Čech (...) play all behind strong defenses and most of the shots they has to face are those from a long distance.

S

·
0 Posts
I was going to do a thread on the worlds all time top goalies later this week, oh well i'll add this in here since Abo has already started such a good thread.:thumbsup:

10. Iker Casillas (Real Madrid, Spain)
9. Ray Clemence (Scunthorpe, Liverpool, Tottenham, England)
8. Gianluigi Buffon (Parma, Juventus, Italy)
7. Dino Zoff (Udinese, Mantova, Napoli, Juventus, Italy)
6. Lev Yashin (Dynamo Moscow, USSR)
5. Neville Southall (Bury, Everton, Port Vale, Southend, Stoke, Torquay, Bradford, Wales)
4. Pat Jennings (Watford, Tottenham, Arsenal, Northern Ireland)
3. Peter Shilton (Leicester, Stoke, Nottingham Forest, Southampton, Derby County, Plymouth, Bolton, Leyton Orient, England)
2. Peter Schmeichel (Hvidovre IF, Brondby, Manchester United, Sporting Lisbon, Aston Villa, Manchester City, Denmark)
1. Gordon Banks (Chesterfield, Leicester, Stoke, England)

Think i'll do along with that, since i've seen them all play over the years.

Sportsmail's top 50 goalkeepers.
THE LIST: 10-1 of Sportsmail's chart of the top goalkeepers ever | Mail Online

·
I aim to Misbehave
6,371 Posts
IFFHS's top 20 goalkeepers of the 20th Century:

1. Lev Yashin
2. Gordon Banks
3. Dino Zoff
4. Sepp Maier
5. Ricardo Zamora
6. José Luis Chilavert
7. Peter Schmeichel
8. Peter Shilton
9. František Plánička
10. Amadeo Carrizo
11. Gilmar dos Santos Neves
12. Ladislao Mazurkiewicz
13. Pat Jennings
14. Ubaldo Fillol
15. Jean-Marie Pfaff
16. Rinat Dasaev
17. Antonio Carbajal
18. Gyula Grosics
19. Ray Clemence
20. Walter Zenga

don't know about half of them... ;)

I also think there's a few more worthy of mention, Zubizarreta, Seaman, Preud'Homme and Schumacher.

But the Black Spider was an amazing keeper. I didn't see him play, few here did, if any, but the games and videos I've seen from those days show just how great he really was.

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
How is David James better than Brad Friedel. Friedel has easily been in the top 2 in England for the past 2-3 years.

·
Proto-Hipster
46,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Proto-Hipster
46,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Edwin should be way up that list.
Tbh in respect to my favourite goalie van der sar this season he haven't pull any single amazing save like what he used to
he probably conceded the least goals in the last two seasons but tbh the defence had helped him for making his records
he is among the top ten for his experience and for the few mistakes he makes but not in the top 5

1 - 11 of 11 Posts