Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sheesh .....

Listen up my brothers and sisters,

I am NOT worried. I have full confidence in Sir Alex Ferguson, his staff and the talented players that wear the red of Manchester United.

We have played very beautiful football this season, second only (and it's a maybe) to Arsenal.

They are in third, we are in first position.

Sir Alex, knows how to let the team play beautiful, flowing, attacking football and win with big margins, BUT he also knows when it might punish us.

As I write Barca are leading 3-0 to Valencia. We shut them out over two legs and that's down to Fergie and the players not letting them.

If you are "worried" about something and dwell on it, you are asking God and the universe to empower that worry with more negative energy. I know how it sounds, but in my life, this has been very true.

So just for the next two games, just believe it to be true, my fellow fans. What can it hurt? Having confidence in Fergie and the team can't hurt and won't cost you a thing.

SAF has made mistakes in the past, but he is the most experienced and most successful manager Britain has ever produced and one of the most successful IN THE ENTIRE HISTORY OF FOOTBALL!

I am confident in Sir Alex Ferguson, the staff and all the players of Manchester United and they will play the best type of football to entertain AND be successful. They always try to play attacking, entertaining football, but once in awhile, a different, less entertaining tactic might be necessary to get a result.

And results are the benchmark by which success is measured.

In a game like Wigan, when big decisions have to be made on which players should play or be rested and what tactics should be employed, I thank God that it's Sir Alex making the decisions and not me.

Amen!

GLORY, GLORY MAN UNITED

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
yeap! definitely. ferguson is truly the greatest in the current era. we should all trust him. he's done it before, and he's gonna do it again.

MOSCOW 2008 : VICTORS UNITED! :D

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
I'm joining this thread.

I'm not worried at all.

I would have preferred to play Pool in the final, but I believe that we WILL win the League, and we can win the CL.

The CL will be decided by who players better on the day.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Can be both confident and worried?
Im confident we will win the league.
but Im worried about the CL. It could go either way, its 50/50 in my eyes.
Could be down to a call or a mistake from one of the players or officials.

Im always confident United will win but Im realistic as well.
Its all well and good saying we will win, but no one knows till the
final whistle sounds.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
im definitely confident but starting a thread that conflicts with another seems abit nasty to the other thread....

2 games to greatness!!!....

dreamland

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jazz 16 said:
Can be both confident and worried?
Im confident we will win the league.
but Im worried about the CL. It could go either way, its 50/50 in my eyes.

Im always confident United will win but Im realistic as well.
Its all well and good saying we will win, but no one knows till the
final whistle sounds.
I understand. The point is too have more people having confidence that SAF and the players will do their best AND the right thing and the rest is up to fate.

If you empower that worry, you are singing the pendulum Chelsea's way.

burnzy1987 said:
im definitely confident but starting a thread that conflicts with another seems abit nasty to the other thread....

2 games to greatness!!!....

dreamland
I know, but that was what I had to do.

I can;t let everybody be all worried and negative on the other thread. I had to balance out that thread.

C'mon people, let's do what we are supposed to do and SUPPORT Manchester United!

We can worry AFTER the fact, not before it!

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
the fact of the matter is we could win the double if we win 2 football matches.
we have been winning football matches all season no problem.

i trust SAF and the squad!....

the double of 2008......sounds brilliant!!!

like i said (in another thread i think) we just need to be cautious and take nothing for granted and we will be fine.

·
Banned
1,238 Posts
Im super confident we will win both and that how I believe it will genuine im a believer that we are the best we beat the second best in the semi roll on the 21st

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Jazz 16 said:
the CL - It could go either way, its 50/50 in my eyes.
I agree totally with that point. Thats why I said we can win it.

I would have just preferred to have played the Pool. Chelsea are a better team, and they worry me more.

But hopefully we will play in a way that we can show them what we can do.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
manutd004 said:
I agree totally with that point. Thats why I said we can win it.

I would have just preferred to have played the Pool. Chelsea are a better team, and they worry me more.

But hopefully we will play 4-4-2 and can show them what we can do.
Do NOT be worried.

Think of them as a bigger challenge! Words make a difference.

I know how it sounds, trust me. We need more people thinking
"Chelsea present a big challenge, but I trust Fergie and the players we have"

We need less;
"The system we're playing is anti-football, ugly and Fergie is playing the wrong system. If he plays attacking football we will be more effective and win in style. I'm worried we will be found out. I'm worried fergie will get it wrong." etc...

I'm not saying you said those things, I'm just giving examples.

DO NOT BE WORRIED.

Chelsea represent a big challenge which Manchester United can overcome.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
RedForceRising said:
Do NOT be worried.

Think of them as a bigger challenge! Words make a difference.

I know how it sounds, trust me. We need more people thinking
"Chelsea present a big challenge, but I trust Fergie and the players we have"

We need less;
"The system we're playing is anti-football, ugly and Fergie is playing the wrong system. If he plays attacking football we will be more effective and win in style. I'm worried we will be found out. I'm worried fergie will get it wrong." etc...

I'm not saying you said those things, I'm just giving examples.

DO NOT BE WORRIED.

Chelsea represent a big challenge which Manchester United can overcome.
I did say we can win. I just said that its going to be a harder game than facing the Pool would be ;)

·
Registered
376 Posts
RedForceRising said:
Sheesh .....

Listen up my brothers and sisters,

I am NOT worried. I have full confidence in Sir Alex Ferguson, his staff and the talented players that wear the red of Manchester United.

We have played very beautiful football this season, second only (and it's a maybe) to Arsenal.

They are in third, we are in first position.

Sir Alex, knows how to let the team play beautiful, flowing, attacking football and win with big margins, BUT he also knows when it might punish us.

As I write Barca are leading 3-0 to Valencia. We shut them out over two legs and that's down to Fergie and the players not letting them.

If you are "worried" about something and dwell on it, you are asking God and the universe to empower that worry with more negative energy. I know how it sounds, but in my life, this has been very true.

So just for the next two games, just believe it to be true, my fellow fans. What can it hurt? Having confidence in Fergie and the team can't hurt and won't cost you a thing.

SAF has made mistakes in the past, but he is the most experienced and most successful manager Britain has ever produced and one of the most successful IN THE ENTIRE HISTORY OF FOOTBALL!

I am confident in Sir Alex Ferguson, the staff and all the players of Manchester United and they will play the best type of football to entertain AND be successful. They always try to play attacking, entertaining football, but once in awhile, a different, less entertaining tactic might be necessary to get a result.

And results are the benchmark by which success is measured.

In a game like Wigan, when big decisions have to be made on which players should play or be rested and what tactics should be employed, I thank God that it's Sir Alex making the decisions and not me.

Amen!

GLORY, GLORY MAN UNITED
Ok , so I had to respond I guess.....I want to make a few points here...

1) To be concerned over negative play is not the same as saying we should play gun- ho and attack naively or not keep our shape. This is a mistake and missrepresentation of what I and others are saying. There is a balance here. Just because I think we should attack more doesn't mean I think we should naively throw players forward. It's also NOT to do with pretty football , it's to do with effectiveness.

2) I wasn't "worried" just frustrated , it's a turn of phrase more than anything else

3) To feel the way I do about some of our tactics at times is not negative but positive because I believe United are selling themselves way short when they try to play like Sven's England. We are better than that. So whilst at first sight my position seems negative, if you think about it I'm actaully very optimistic about United and their talents.

4) I agree entirely and absolutely with you when you say we should not focus on worry and negativity because it empowers that energy. But I believe in that very philosophy MORE than you do because that is exactly what United and SAF are going to be tempted to do (and did against Barca). Don't you see? United became "worried" about Chelsea scoring and "worried" they might lose thier precious point in the second half - what happened ? We focussed on negativity and it came back to haunt us. It could so easily have been the same with Barca. The irony of this debate is that it's really United's "worry " that "worries" me. If we worry too much about what Chelsea can do to us and forget what we can do to them it could haunt us for a long time. You see I agree with you, we should not worry and be negative , so why are you not frustrated like me when United do the very thing you are telling me not to do???????? United are starting to focus on the other team and not themselves (WH result does not apply here because WH were woeful)

5) I also believe in defending and playing smart but am I the only one here who feels biting on a leather strap when I watch United defending so passively and not aggressively. I know this is because I am a passionate believer in the aggressive pressing style of defending where midfield players are closed down quickly and possession is very strongly contested (eg Gooners 4-0). I don't think Sven style defending works as well.

6) I am confident that we will win the league and we have a great chance in the final , but I'm not as confident as I should be because I fear that we might try and get too cute and out "chelsea" chelsea or leave it too late to express our true colours. But it is possible to have concerns and be confident at the same time. It does not have to be one or the other.

7) I actually feel now is the right time to say these things because if they were said after it all went Pete tong then I would only be accused of being wise after the event. Mine (and others like me) is not a fickle position. I believe what I am saying and whether we blow the lot or win the double in style will not change my mind on it. The reason ? Because I believe that OVER concern over what the other team might do to you is ultimately self destructive to your team. Respect the other team , but not too much respect , keep our shape but stop playing basketball (United players are allowed to tackle if they want).

8) One final point is about regret. If we lose the CL final and look back at it in 5 years time , it will be 10 times worse to be thinking , "hmmmm if only we had played our own game and took the initiative and attacked, I wonder what might have happened if we had gone at them like we did in the last desperate 10 minutes from the start maybe we would have won" . That kind of regret never heals , if we lose , then we lose our way not theirs then we can have no regrets.

You see I'm glad that you felt that you weren't going to just sit back and take my thread passively without contesting it. I only wish United would show the same spirit sometimes without having to be 1-0 down and in a corner before we do it. My message in moscow would be "get stuck into them and show them who the better team are" . I would feel so much more positive if I thought we were going to do that.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I am quietly confident, but not counting on anything just yet. We still have to put in two big performances and if we can do that, we will probably have witnesed the second most sucessful season in Manchester United's history.

If at the start of the season someone would have said with two games to go, if you win them both you will win the Premiership and the Champions League, I would have snatched their hand off.

The lads have put in a lot of hard work this season, whilst playing some terrific football along the way. They will not want to mess it up now.

But as a famous man once said, "Who's to know what's going to happen in football...it could all blow up in my face at the end of the day....."

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
i am worried, but i am still confident.
i am confident that we will take initiative at moscow, and have a right go at chelsea. it is a final, we will be playing for a win, a win and nothing else, and we will prove that we are the better team

·
Registered
376 Posts
yangch0000 said:
i am worried, but i am still confident.
i am confident that we will take initiative at moscow, and have a right go at chelsea. it is a final, we will be playing for a win, a win and nothing else, and we will prove that we are the better team
I soooooooo hope you are right. If we have a go at them we've got a great chance.....but will we? We didn't exactly have a go at Barca did we? What makes you think we will do so in Moscow? The last time we played Chelsea in a final it was a drab affair that suited them and not us ......we lost 0-1.
I worry about a drab 0-1 tactical defeat and I bet Chelsea fans dream about a drab tactical affair too , why ? because it's chelsea's best chance of winning of course. They know a 3-2 type game will not suit them and they fear our ability to create goals. If I were a chelsea fan I'd be praying that fergie does the same as against barca and restricts United back into their shell where they can't express themselves. That's exactly what they want.

Given United's displays against Barca what makes you think fergie will change now? I predict a tight defensive display that will give Chelsea a much much better chance of winning than they should have. I also hope that my prediction is completely way out!!!!!!!! C,mon United...believe!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
desmondo said:
I soooooooo hope you are right. If we have a go at them we've got a great chance.....but will we? We didn't exactly have a go at Barca did we? What makes you think we will do so in Moscow? The last time we played Chelsea in a final it was a drab affair that suited them and not us ......we lost 0-1.
I worry about a drab 0-1 tactical defeat and I bet Chelsea fans dream about a drab tactical affair too , why ? because it's chelsea's best chance of winning of course. They know a 3-2 type game will not suit them and they fear our ability to create goals. If I were a chelsea fan I'd be praying that fergie does the same as against barca and restricts United back into their shell where they can't express themselves. That's exactly what they want.

Given United's displays against Barca what makes you think fergie will change now? I predict a tight defensive display that will give Chelsea a much much better chance of winning than they should have. I also hope that my prediction is completely way out!!!!!!!! C,mon United...believe!!!!!!
thats right, we didnt have a go at barca, especially in the first leg, because we did not play to win, because we did not HAVE to win. but at the final, with the experience against chelsea in last season fa cup final, i think anyone would slip a note to fergie telling him that chelsea will love to play a close, tight, slow tempo game.

at stamford bridge, we have limited resources with the crucial game against barca coming so close, and fergie trusted his defence to be able to get a point at chelsea. we played to get a draw, and it did not work. but it will not be the case in the coming final, we simply have to win.

i trust fergie this time, trust him not to betray our own game, trust him not to play to counter chelsea's play, trust him to trust our own game.

optimistic? i am.....:D

·
23,699 Posts
desmondo said:
I agree entirely and absolutely with you when you say we should not focus on worry and negativity because it empowers that energy. But I believe in that very philosophy MORE than you do because that is exactly what United and SAF are going to be tempted to do (and did against Barca). Don't you see? United became "worried" about Chelsea scoring and "worried" they might lose thier precious point in the second half - what happened ? We focussed on negativity and it came back to haunt us. It could so easily have been the same with Barca. The irony of this debate is that it's really United's "worry " that "worries" me. If we worry too much about what Chelsea can do to us and forget what we can do to them it could haunt us for a long time. You see I agree with you, we should not worry and be negative , so why are you not frustrated like me when United do the very thing you are telling me not to do???????? United are starting to focus on the other team and not themselves (WH result does not apply here because WH were woeful)
I guess you have covered all grounds on this 'worrying' and 'moaning' thing. So nothing for me to add except to highlight an excellent point above that perhaps sums up our concerns and discomfort.

But I know exactly where RFR is coming from too. He is coming from a spiritual angle in which he fears, wrong, is concerned (more positive) that too much negative words pronounced will invoke the negative energy that affect the outcome against our favour. Afterall, the universe is governed by some unseen but powerful spiritual laws eg you reap what you sow (not just in deeds but in words) , give and you will receive etc. Well and fine...

At the end of the day, we share the same concerns and love for the same club, and all wish the club well in its final 2 'finals'. So let's hold our peace until after 21st May 2008 at least.

And start saying and believing that "Manchester United are the Double champions in 2008" from this moment. :) ;)

·
Registered
488 Posts
We shall prevail... We are just one step behind the line, it will be ours to lose, the presure is on Chelsea... Having 2 more games to play... First time in CL Final??? We are on the upperhand here... Nevertheless... We shall take things one at a time... Right now the EPL, then the CL...

Many around my region feel that Manchester chances at MOSCOW is slim... But I reckon that SAF will go all out for it since it's the last game of the season... We are Manchester United, always top and never below... We are the Champions...

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
desmondo said:
Ok , so I had to respond I guess.....I want to make a few points here...

1) To be concerned over negative play is not the same as saying we should play gun- ho and attack naively or not keep our shape. This is a mistake and missrepresentation of what I and others are saying. There is a balance here. Just because I think we should attack more doesn't mean I think we should naively throw players forward. It's also NOT to do with pretty football , it's to do with effectiveness.

2) I wasn't "worried" just frustrated , it's a turn of phrase more than anything else
The title of your thread is "I'm still worried" Don't be worried.

3) To feel the way I do about some of our tactics at times is not negative but positive because I believe United are selling themselves way short when they try to play like Sven's England. We are better than that. So whilst at first sight my position seems negative, if you think about it I'm actaully very optimistic about United and their talents.
I do not doubt your belief in United's ability for even a second. I KNOW your are true red and have the highest regards for our players and their ability. The issue lies in how we express ourselves and expressing doubt about the team's play and then compounding it by explaining and analyzing is negative, not positive.

4) I agree entirely and absolutely with you when you say we should not focus on worry and negativity because it empowers that energy. But I believe in that very philosophy MORE than you do because that is exactly what United and SAF are going to be tempted to do (and did against Barca). Don't you see? United became "worried" about Chelsea scoring and "worried" they might lose thier precious point in the second half - what happened ? We focussed on negativity and it came back to haunt us. It could so easily have been the same with Barca. The irony of this debate is that it's really United's "worry " that "worries" me. If we worry too much about what Chelsea can do to us and forget what we can do to them it could haunt us for a long time. You see I agree with you, we should not worry and be negative , so why are you not frustrated like me when United do the very thing you are telling me not to do???????? United are starting to focus on the other team and not themselves (WH result does not apply here because WH were woeful)
this is very interesting. I agree you with you on this up to one point. I don't want to get frustrated. I cannot control the team's thoughts or Fergie's thoughts. You might have a damn good point here. I haven;t thought of it that way. It's United's worry you;re worried about. Good stuff. I would only say Do not be worried. Do not be frustrated. Trust them that they are doing the right thing and if we deserve to be champs, fate will comply. If Chelsea truly are the better team, they will get their rewards. But being worried and frustrated empowers Chelsea not Man Utd. Unless Fergie and the boys are reading this, I think it;s best we do what we can, and since we can only control our thoughts and not theirs, do not worry and do not be frustrated.

5) I also believe in defending and playing smart but am I the only one here who feels biting on a leather strap when I watch United defending so passively and not aggressively. I know this is because I am a passionate believer in the aggressive pressing style of defending where midfield players are closed down quickly and possession is very strongly contested (eg Gooners 4-0). I don't think Sven style defending works as well.
No, you are not the only one. I have no more nails. I turn 30 in September and bite my fingernails like a kid till they do not exist. The point you make about the Gooners is a good point. Take the way we FA Cup match and the league match against them. Two completely different games wouldn't you say? What changed? The players on the field. Honestly, I feel that when Fergie smells blood he will let the team go at the opposition, but different players on both our team and the opponent team might dictate differently. It then also depends on the players on the day and fitness levels. It's easier to defend "Sven" style as you put it, then to press for large parts of the game.

6) I am confident that we will win the league and we have a great chance in the final , but I'm not as confident as I should be because I fear that we might try and get too cute and out "chelsea" chelsea or leave it too late to express our true colours. But it is possible to have concerns and be confident at the same time. It does not have to be one or the other.

7) I actually feel now is the right time to say these things because if they were said after it all went Pete tong then I would only be accused of being wise after the event. Mine (and others like me) is not a fickle position. I believe what I am saying and whether we blow the lot or win the double in style will not change my mind on it. The reason ? Because I believe that OVER concern over what the other team might do to you is ultimately self destructive to your team. Respect the other team , but not too much respect , keep our shape but stop playing basketball (United players are allowed to tackle if they want).

On point 6 or 7 - I understand that you want to have aired your opinion before the fact, so it doesn't look like your only ranting after the fact, BUT don't you think it sets up some pretty negative dynamics? At this point in time what Man Utd needs is for their supporters to support them. Using world like fear is dangerous. If you are truly confident, do not fear anything. None of us, for all our years of watching football, are not football managers. We must realize that at this stage in the season, bodies get tired, minds get tired. This is the reality of pro sports. Honestly, an ugly 1-0 win over Chelsea in April or May is worth more than a 4-0 thrashing of another team in 4t or 5th month of the season. Do not be worried, do not fear. Now is the time to trust Fergie and the boys that they will do what they can to win and that the will USE THE RIGHT TACTIC GIVEN THE CIRCUMSTANCES AND RESOURCES to get the desired result. And at this stage of the season it's about the result. Whether that means playing less or more defensive, pressing opponents or defending basketball style, I will leave up to fergie.

8) One final point is about regret. If we lose the CL final and look back at it in 5 years time , it will be 10 times worse to be thinking , "hmmmm if only we had played our own game and took the initiative and attacked, I wonder what might have happened if we had gone at them like we did in the last desperate 10 minutes from the start maybe we would have won" . That kind of regret never heals , if we lose , then we lose our way not theirs then we can have no regrets.
Once again, I detect some pretty unhelpful feelings here. Are you setting yourself up for regret in advance? Time heals a lot. Man .. how many times have I been let down and really hurt, especially when I was younger, but the lure of Man Utd is too strong :) We keep coming back. I know how you feel. Of course, I have felt like that this season. Especially after Bolton away and West Ham away.
But now's the time to get behind the team. It's zero hour. Time to SUPPORT the team. If your daughter is in a beauty contest, even if she is the least pretty contestant, you're going to shout the most and make the most noise. Your not going to tell her about how the other girls are prettier and they did their make up and hair nicer, are you? Why, because you would support her whole-heartedly. WITHOUT FEAR OR WORRIES. Just support, everything else is just noise right now. Just support.

You see I'm glad that you felt that you weren't going to just sit back and take my thread passively without contesting it. I only wish United would show the same spirit sometimes without having to be 1-0 down and in a corner before we do it. My message in moscow would be "get stuck into them and show them who the better team are" . I would feel so much more positive if I thought we were going to do that.
Sometimes the team doesn't show up. It's difficult to take. They are highly paid professional athletes, but this happens everywhere. I manage a small team and whatever I do is amplified, so it's important that they don;t get a chance to see "boss slacking off'. But damn it, I'm human to and have days where I'm in the office only in body and on this forum. My senior manager still supports me cos he knows i've done my best whenever I can and I'm human.

Now is the time to support. Temporarily forgive and forget. If we lose, we can bitch till the cows come home. But right now, let us not set up ourselves mentally for failure or under achievement. Man Utd is our daughter in a beauty contest and we are going to shout and make the most noise for her! ;)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts