Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After missing the second half of the 2005/2006 season due to a problem with his eye, some people doubted that Paul Scholes would ever return to football let alone his old self. Sir Alex kept saying all last summer that Paul Scholes would be making all the difference the following season. And for me he was the difference.

Having Scholesy back was a major lift. You could see that the team looks much much better from the first game against Fulham. Scratch that, you could see a different team, a better one, since the second half of the game against Charlton at the end of the 05/06 season. His introduction made us tick, just like his involvement in the last season did. For me, he's the last person I want to be unavailable for a game because he can make all the difference.

But with the new signings, people are already excluding scholes from their starting eleven. The arrival of Owen Hargreaves in praticular made some fans feel that Scholes isn't as valueble to the team as he once was and that they would rather have Hargreaves and Carrick play the majority of games.

Whats you're opinion on that ? Do you feel that Scholesy is a less important player for us now or is he as important as he has been throughout his career ?

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
It was like having a new signing :D

Him and Ronaldo were our most important players last season IMO.

Having Scholes back was a massive boost for us, him and Carrick were immense together last season.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Scholes will be 1st choice again this season. Fergie has made some great signings this season but they can all still learn alot from ginger bollox, if he's fit , he will play, simple as.

·
Registered
125 Posts
scholes is gna b the 1st choice midfielder fergie isnt goin 2 drop him. hes an amazin player and he made a huge contribution 2 the title winning team last year.

·
Registered
131 Posts
i think Scholes will be more important to us this year as he's gonna have to carry a lot of weight in the midfield in terms of fergie breaking in Nani/Anderson.

·
Banned
4,956 Posts
I agree he is probably the best midfielder we have - but he is such a nice guy too......he's a perfect example to youngsters who want to do well in football.....quiet, self assured, talented and a real handful for anyone to play against !!!

He loves to be at home with his family rather than poncing round with that /England team......I love him and I hope he stays for at least a couple more seasons

A sad day when he does retire :( :( :(

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Scholes is definitely going to stay around, health permitting. Some could argue that he's not the heartbeat of the team, which may be true, but he's definitely one of those vital arteries ;)

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
scholes is a legend ,will miss him very badly when he eventually retires in the meantime lets hope we get another couple of seasons of his magic.

·
Registered
89 Posts
We must all remember that we are the privileged ones who have had the honour of watching Scholes in his prime, last season he set the bar for creative midfield play and intelligent passing, I often turned to my missus misty-eyed during games and tried to explain to her how happy I was to be watching Scholes, how incredible he was and how much I'd miss him when he eventually decides to simply potter around his garden. It must be amazing for guys like Ronaldo and Rooney to play off a guy like Scholes, I always feel much better knowing he is in the team. There is no-one else I would consider to put ahead of him on the back of my shiny new jersey come August and thats no disrespect to Wayne, CR, Giggsy or anyone else. Hero, thy name is Paul Scholes.

·
Banned
4,956 Posts
rubberdecky83 said:
We must all remember that we are the privileged ones who have had the honour of watching Scholes in his prime, last season he set the bar for creative midfield play and intelligent passing, I often turned to my missus misty-eyed during games and tried to explain to her how happy I was to be watching Scholes, how incredible he was and how much I'd miss him when he eventually decides to simply potter around his garden. It must be amazing for guys like Ronaldo and Rooney to play off a guy like Scholes, I always feel much better knowing he is in the team. There is no-one else I would consider to put ahead of him on the back of my shiny new jersey come August and thats no disrespect to Wayne, CR, Giggsy or anyone else. Hero, thy name is Paul Scholes.
The saddest thing about Scholes is the fact he will finish with football and just disappear into obscurity - leaving behind him a million memories of his antics and heroics - he wont be a manager I dont think - maybe a coach hopefully but I think he will just blend in with the crowd and we wont hear much about hiom - so its up to us his fans to keep his memories alive for years to come......if this makes sense :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
89 Posts
In a way its almost better that he will quietly head off in his own path, sure as hell beats all these wannabe pundits who cant seem to get enough of hearing their own voice and want to stay in the limelight forever. In all fairness, no-one could ever forget Scholes, some of his greatest goals and passes are burned into my mind, he will always be respected, perhaps more so because he shunned the typical playboy lifestyle and just did his talking on the pitch. Ok I really want to stop thinking about his retirement, wrecking my new season buzz..... :p

1 - 14 of 14 Posts