Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 327 Posts

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, as it starts today in Israel... and I only saw a thread about Englands squad, I though it could be reason enough to open a thread.

Who do you all think it's going to win? What player or players are you looking forward to watch playing?

I personally want to see todays England vs Italy. I think both teams are great, I want to specially watch Zaha and McEachran play. From the Italian squad, Insigne, who's an amazing player, Destro and of course Verratti.
Israel and Norway play today too, I want to see how that game goes too, northern countries are developing an interesting amount of talent, so i'm sure it will be interesting.

I think Spain's team is pretty complete and good. We have first level players in every possition on the pitch, but so we did in the Olympics, and we went out in the first important match, so yeah... It's going to be interesting!

About Russia, Germany and Netherlands, they are all three going to be hard teams to beat, Russia are always solid, and we all know how good Germans are nowadays, even in their younger squads. But I specially want to see Netherlands, they play great football always, and they have more than enough class players in their squad.

What do you all think?? I think Italy, England, Spain and Germany are the best contenders for the tittle.

Edit: I've done some research, I'm going to post the Squads here. I will post Israels squad after lunch lol.

ITALY:
Goalkeepers: Bardi (Novara), Colombi (Modena), Leali (Virtus Lanciano)
Defenders: Caldirola (Cesena), Donati (Grosseto), Capuano (Pescara), Frascatore (Sassuolo), Biraghi (Cittadella), Romagnoli (Spezia), Bianchetti (Hellas Verona), Reggini (Empoli).
Midfielders: Marrone (Juventus), Rossi (Brescia), Saponara (Empoli), Florenzi (Roma), Insigne (Napoli), Crimi (Grosseto), Bertolacci (Genoa), Sala (Hamburg), Verratti (PSG).
Strikers: Paloschi (Chievo), Gabbiadini (Bologna), Borini (Liverpool), Destro (Roma), Immobile (Genoa), Sansone (Parma), Fedato (Bari).

ENGLAND:
Goalkeepers: Stelee (Middlesbrough), Rudd (Norwich), Butland (Stoke City)
Defenders: Caulker (Tottenham), Clyne (Southampton), Craig Dawson (West Brom), Lees (Birmingham), Robinson (Liverpool), Danny Rose (Tottenham), Adam Smith (Millwall), Wisdom (Liverpool).
Midfielders: Chalobah (Chelsea), Henderson (Liverpool), Ince (Blackpool), Lansbury (Nottingham Forest), Lowe (Blackburn), McEachran (Chelsea), Redmond (Birmingham), Shelvey (Liverpool).
Strikers: Delfouneso (Aston Villa), Sordell (Bolton), Wickham (Sunderland), Zaha (Manchester United).

NORWAY:
Goalkeepers: Aril Ostbo (Viking), Nyland (Molde).
Defenders: Gudmund Kongshavn (Valerenga), Martin Linnes (Molde), Thomas Rogne (Celtic), Stefan Strandberg (Valerenga), Vegar Hedenstad (Freiburg).
Midfielders: Harmet Singh (Feyenoord), Valon Berisha (Salzburg), Markus Henriksen (AZ), Havard Nordveit (Monchengladbach), Yann-Erik de Lanlay (Viking), Anders Konradssen (Rennes), Magnus Eikrem (Molde), Stefan Johansen (Stromsgodset), Abdissalam Ibrahim (Stromsgodset).
Strikers: Omar Elabdellaoui (Feyenoord), Jo Inge Berget (Stromsgodset), Marcus Pedersen (OB), Havard Nielsen (Salzburg), Fredrik Sem Berge (Odd Greenland), Flamur Kastrati (Erzgebirge Aue), Joshua King (Blackburn).

ISRAEL: (I'm sorry, I couldn't find the teams :S)
Goalkeepers: Boris Kleyman, Barak Levi, Arik Yanko.
Defenders: Eliazer Dasa, Ofir Davidzada, Ido Levi, Ben Vahaba, Edi Gotlib, Taleb Twatha, Ofer Verta, Omri Ben Harush.
Midfielders: Marwan Kabha, Israel Zaguri, Nir Biton, Eyal Golasa, Sintayehu Sallalich, Ahed Azam, Omri Altman, Ofir Krieff.
Strikers: Mohammad Kalibat, Munas Dabbur, Orr Barouch, Alon Turgeman.

Tomorrow I'll post the 4 squads that play tomorrow.

·
The Great Dane
6,422 Posts
More interesting in the U-19 Championships. The qualification for that tournament began yesterday. Denmark won 5-0 against Czech Republic. Portugal won 7-0 against Bulgaria.

Denmark will have a frightening national team in 5-6 years. Finally we'll be contenders for something again.

In the U-21 tournament, I think Spain will win it easily. David Da God is in goal for them, you know

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
Txrt Thanks for creating a thread for the tournament. (y)

I'm looking forward to the tournament. I'll be watching every game except Israel v Norway.

I regularly watch the England U21's and our record going into the tournament is fantastic - 9 wins and clean sheets in a row. However, the likes of Italy, Spain and Germany all have great squads and the loss of Sterling and Townsend is a big blow for England.

I'll be happy if we at least reach the semi-finals. Come on England!

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
I'm surpised England have won this competition twice, they are more successful than the Senior team lol.
Yeah, we won 2 in a row in the 1980's. Only Italy (who won 3 in a row) and Holland have also achieved that.

It'll be interesting to see if Spain, who are the favourites and current reigning champions, can add their name to that list.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Txrt Thanks for creating a thread for the tournament. (y)

I'm looking forward to the tournament. I'll be watching every game except Israel v Norway.

I regularly watch the England U21's and our record going into the tournament is fantastic - 9 wins and clean sheets in a row. However, the likes of Italy, Spain and Germany all have great squads and the loss of Sterling and Townsend is a big blow for England.

I'll be happy if we at least reach the semi-finals. Come on England!

It's going to be a great one between England and Italy tonight; I have to admit that I haven't seen too much of the English u-21 team, but I want to see how they play; I've seen more of the Italian side, and I know some of them, I think they're interesting... But English physicall strength is really important in this competitions, so it's going to be a tough one!

About the Spanish team, I like the squad that has flown to Israel, it's really tough to choose only 11 players for the starting team, but the group is really tough. Russia is always hard to beat, and Germany and Netherlands, we all know what they can do....

Who's going to be the most important player in England in your opinion?!

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Spain are definitely going to win this.

Isco, Munian and Thiago, what a trio that is.

Munian is not at his best (Unfortunately :( ), but yeah, Isco, Muniain, Thiago, Koke, Ilarramendi (follow him, he's going to be really good, Xabi Alonso kind of player in the making), Canales, Sarabia are all great players, I've had the pleasure to know them and they're amazing. Camacho and Koke are more destructive midfielders, but they can also play on the ball...

I think the weakest position is maybe the goal-scoring one, Morata is a poacher, Alvaro Vazquez is good on the ball and creative, but lacks effectiveness in front of the goal, Rodrigo is complete,... Tello is a winger, he scores some goals but he's not a pure box-striker..

Defensively, I think the team is good and balanced, Iñigo Martinez is a great centre-back, and he has clarity with the ball on his feet too, Bartra is more or less the same; and Carvajal will play left back, he's had an amazing season with Leverkusen, he's really trustful... The left side is the one I have more doubts about, maybe Alvaro, or Montoya (but he's right-footed), or Muniesa himself.... Who knows.

The key point is going to be the commitment they have to the team.

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
Who's going to be the most important player in England in your opinion?!
All the talk has been about whether Zaha will be fit (he got injured when Crystal Palace played Watford at Wembley). His transfer to Man United has certainly shone the media spotlight on him and he's expected to be England's star man.

However, big things are also expected of our centre-back, Steven Caulker, playmaker, Josh McEachran, and winger, Tom Ince.

I've also been impressed by Marvin Sordell whenever I've seen him play.

This a big tournament for the 2 Liverpool lads, Jordan Henderson and Jonjo Shelvey, too. They have both made over 20 appearances for the U21's but serious doubts remain about whether they are good enough to step up to the senior team.

·
The Great Dane
6,422 Posts
Muniain has been a disaster this season to be fair, but Spain have the best team and will win. Maybe over Italy in the final Like last years Euro's

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
All the talk has been about whether Zaha will be fit (he got injured when Crystal Palace played Watford at Wembley). His transfer to Man United has certainly shone the media spotlight on him and he's expected to be England's star man.

However, big things are also expected of our centre-back, Steven Caulker, playmaker, Josh McEachran, and winger, Tom Ince.

I've also been impressed by Marvin Sordell whenever I've seen him play.

This a big tournament for the 2 Liverpool lads, Jordan Henderson and Jonjo Shelvey, too. They have both made over 20 appearances for the U21's but serious doubts remain about whether they are good enough to step up to the senior team.

My favorite player for what I've seen, is Josh McEachran, his football brain is great, he impressed me the times I've seen him play, I think he's really great. I'm yet to see Zaha play, today is going to be the first match I'm going to watch of him! I more or less know how Caulker and the other players playing in the Premier are.

They broadcast all the games here in a secondary public TV, which is great....

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
I'm yet to see Zaha play, today is going to be the first match I'm going to watch of him!
Expect a lot of running at defenders, twists & turns and stepovers!

He's a young lad so can often make the mistake of trying to beat the same defender 2 or 3 times instead of just crossing the ball but he also has the wonderful ability to keep hold of the ball even when it looks like the defender has tackled him!

·
The Chosen Juan
4,690 Posts
Spain will not walk this competition. I'd make them favourites, but it isn't going to be easy for them...

·
Tormund FTW!
1,916 Posts
Spain will not walk this competition. I'd make them favourites, but it isn't going to be easy for them...
I think Holland have a very strong squad. Lots of quality, especially in midfield. Will be exciting to see them tomorrow against Germany, who are also looking good.

·
The Chosen Juan
4,690 Posts
I think Holland have a very strong squad. Lots of quality, especially in midfield. Will be exciting to see them tomorrow against Germany, who are also looking good.

Their team is ridiculously good. I don't know much about the keepers, but the starting back four (van Rhijn, de Vrij, Blind & Martins Indi) are a very talented bunch. Then you have Strootman, Clasie, Maher, van Ginkel, Fer and Vilhena who are all top midfielders. As for the attackers, Luuk de Jong, Ola John, Memphis Depay and Wijnaldum are all dangerous. I wouldn't be surprised to see them win the tournament.

·
Tormund FTW!
1,916 Posts
Their team is ridiculously good. I don't know much about the keepers, but the starting back four (van Rhijn, de Vrij, Blind & Martins Indi) are a very talented bunch. Then you have Strootman, Clasie, Maher, van Ginkel, Fer and Vilhena who are all top midfielders. As for the attackers, Luuk de Jong, Ola John, Memphis Depay and Wijnaldum are all dangerous. I wouldn't be surprised to see them win the tournament.
Yeah, a lot of their players are already full internationals and most play regularly at club level, so they should theoretically be the strongest side at the tournament. The GK should be Zoet, who is already first choice at Waalwijk, and a little research shows fans think quite highly of him.

Israel 2 - 1 Norway!! Been on top since HT, and now have the goal to show for it!

1 - 20 of 327 Posts