Manchester United Talk banner
21 - 40 of 254 Posts

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Abo, just be quiet about Evan's height please! :)

Anyway, back to Evans the footballer, not Evan's height.

I'm a big fan of Evans. I honestly think he has the potential to be as good as Vidic or Rio one day possibly. For Northern Ireland, hes been magnificent.

I would have no hesitation in throwing him in if we needed him, and I'm sure one day he'll be one of our no 1 CB's.

He has fantastic potential and I hope he gets the chance to prove how good he is, and that hes not just here to make up the numbers.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
amazingly he has been better at international level than league level , they have been raving about his international performances for a while now.
i was glad fergie got him back into the fold this season , keano was desperate for him and keano knows his quality.
i just hope he features for the first team alot this year , he definately has the quality to make it

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
TheManc said:
I read an article today that apparently we turned down a £10M bid from Sunderland for him.
Yep, your right TM.

Ferguson Snubs Sunderland's £10million Bid For Evans

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Man United's Sir Alex Ferguson Snubs Sunderland's £10million Bid For Evans
Submitted by Angel Fernandes on Sat, 2008-08-23 16:57. Sunderland, Manchester United Premiership Transfer News

According to reports, Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson has turned down Sunderland's huge £10million bid for defender Jonny Evans.

The offer is the biggest ever for a Northern Ireland international, but its rejection by Ferguson means that Black Cats manager Roy Keane will have to look elsewhere for new signing's at the Stadium of Light.

20-year-old Evans has spent two spells at Sunderland on loan and is keen to make the switch from Old Trafford on a permanent basis in search of regular first-team football, but has been assured by Ferguson that he will feature more heavily for the Red Devils this season.

“I think everyone knows that Roy Keane would like to sign me permanently,†Evans told the Belfast Telegraph last night.

“I had a taste of Premier League football with Sunderland last season and it made me want more.â€

“I wanted to join Sunderland this summer, but Sir Alex Ferguson made it clear that he needs me for cover at the back and has said that I will get games.â€

“I think that if it gets to the stage where I am not getting enough games then he would allow me to leave in order for my career to progress.â€

“Every player will tell you that there is nothing better than playing week in, week out, but some times you have to be patient due to the circumstances.â€

“I will continue to work hard at United and who knows what may hapen in the futureâ€.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
21/ 8/2008
JONNY Evans was outstanding for Northern Ireland as they held Scotland 0-0 at
Hampden Park.

That was a few weeks back and again last night against the Czech Republic
he was outstanding. he got over an 8 on the BBc Player ratings (which is rare)

With him and O'Shea playing great football at international level it bodes well
for United that our 'reserve' players can play with such assured excellence.

He can slip in at left back or in his more favoured position of centre back,
but he is an unbelieveable prospect and its no wonder Keane tried to buy him
for about 10 million pounds.

If one of our big guns were to get injured in defence, Id have no qualms that
Evans can step up to the plate.

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
The Kid seems to be impressing everyone right now.
Its very unfortunate for him that he has Rio and Vidic infront of him.
Hopefully Fergie see's him as the 3rd choice CB(Brown RB) and not have O'Shea infront of him.

I'm hopeful that he'll get around 15 full games with us this season.

Our youth players are brilliant right now.

·
Stretford Ender
2,270 Posts
abojodeh said:
:rolleyes: people stop getting taller at 18 ;)
and yeah agree about Rio early beginning he wasn't that tough but you have to respect the hours he used spend in the gym when he was young
i must have been a freak of nature then cos i am i was growing well into me being 18. ronaldo bulked out after first couple of years at united and he will be the same. just the age he is at.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
not seen much of him...but i know he is a talent in the games i hvae seen him play!!
not sure he will play much of this season unless ferdi or vidic gets injured but hope he plays in the FA cup and carling cup!!!!

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
TheManc said:
The Kid seems to be impressing everyone right now.
Its very unfortunate for him that he has Rio and Vidic infront of him.
Hopefully Fergie see's him as the 3rd choice CB(Brown RB) and not have O'Shea infront of him.

I'm hopeful that he'll get around 15 full games with us this season.

Our youth players are brilliant right now.
Agreed.

If it had been 2/3 years ago, he'd have probably got straight into defence.

But now, with the Rio-Vidic partnership, he hasn't got much hope unless its for injuries, suspensions, resting etc.

It would be fantastic if Rio or Vidic got injured, and he was so good that the injured defender couldn't get back into the squad.

Theres only a small chance that would happen imo, because Sir Alex would put Rio/Vidic back in, but its a great thought to have.

And as for the youngsters, I'm seriously excited at some of the young talent we have coming through.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
manutd004 said:
Agreed.

If it had been 2/3 years ago, he'd have probably got straight into defence.

But now, with the Rio-Vidic partnership, he hasn't got much hope unless its for injuries, suspensions, resting etc.

It would be fantastic if Rio or Vidic got injured, and he was so good that the injured defender couldn't get back into the squad.

Theres only a small chance that would happen imo, because Sir Alex would put Rio/Vidic back in, but its a great thought to have.

And as for the youngsters, I'm seriously excited at some of the young talent we have coming through.

I have seen Evans only on a few occassions, but he looks like he can make the grade. I really hope fergie gives him a chance.

And you;re right, I haven't been this positive about our young'uns in years.

There's genuine quality there. Players with great touch and skills. They also seem to want it.

Evans, Wellback, Possebon, Fabio and Rafael. Not forgetting campbell, the man not too many members believe will make it, but who i think is premier league quality. Let's hope he can prove he;s united quality.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
RedForceRising said:
I have seen Evans only on a few occassions, but he looks like he can make the grade. I really hope fergie gives him a chance.

And you;re right, I haven't been this positive about our young'uns in years.

There's genuine quality there. Players with great touch and skills. They also seem to want it.

Evans, Wellback, Possebon, Fabio and Rafael. Not forgetting campbell, the man not too many members believe will make it, but who i think is premier league quality. Let's hope he can prove he;s united quality.
Absolutely.

And also Danny Simpson, who again not many people seem to like that much but I'm a big fan and think he'll become a great player if he stays here and gets some chances. :)

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Looks like he might get his chance against Chelsea, cos of Vidic's suspension.
Or do you think Fergie will put O'Shea or Brown in there instead?
All 3 players were excellent for their countries last week.
Id like to see Evans get the nod.

·
Thank you Sir Alex
5,528 Posts
Jazz 16 said:
Looks like he might get his chance against Chelsea, cos of Vidic's suspension.
Or do you think Fergie will put O'Shea or Brown in there instead?
All 3 players were excellent for their countries last week.
Id like to see Evans get the nod.
I think Brown will play alongside Rio at the centre. Hargreaves or O'shea*shudder* will play at RB.

·
Thank you Sir Alex
5,528 Posts
^^^^^^Forgot about Neville. But i think Hargreaves and O'shea are ahead of him in the pecking order anyway.

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
I would love to see jonny slot in beside Rio for the Villareal match. Personally I don't think they will cause too many attacking problems. If we got through the arsenal game with Pique at CB last year then, why not Play Evans this year.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Well, I said injured but its a suspension! :p

Was I tempting fate or is it a coincidence? You decide! ;)

Anyway, I think Sir Alex might go with Brown in the centre and Neville or Hargreaves at RB, which I hope is Hargreaves because Neville isn't fantastic atm.

But I, personally, would prefer Evans. I'm a big fan, and I think he could come in and do really well against Chelsea. After all, hes played in some big games for Northern Ireland, against Spain for example.

21 - 40 of 254 Posts