Manchester United Talk banner
41 - 60 of 254 Posts

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
This kid is a class act as I have been saying. Looked very assured tonight, one
of our better performers. mopped up very well and was unlucky when he hit the post.
Id have no qualms if his name was on the team sheet against Chelsea.

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
He's got good footballing instinct, didn't do much defending against Villarreal but he played very well imo, good header of the ball and didn't get us in trouble when he got forward by being caught out.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
the lad played well ,he didn't do anything daft and was a goal threat when pushed upfield ,anybody will struggle to break up the rio and vidic combo but evans looks a good young player for backup cover and should have a decent future at utd.

G

·
impressed me with the way he composed himself last night in an important game for us and with such little experience.

you have to wonder when he is actually going to get a first team place though, as surely Rio and Vidic will be our first choice centre back pairing for quite some time?

·
Proto-Hipster
46,961 Posts
Evans set for the top

Fans got a glimpse of United's future against Villarreal on Wednesday - young defender Jonny Evans is set to be a mainstay in the Reds defence in years to come.

Sir Alex Ferguson has placed great faith in the young Northern Ireland international, turning down four offers for the 20-year-old’s services over the summer.

Such is Evans’ standing at Old Trafford that Sir Alex would have no qualms about thrusting him into the cut-throat atmosphere of Sunday’s clash with Chelsea at Stamford Bridge.

Nemanja Vidic’s suspension-enforced absence may leave Sir Alex no option, but Evans’ first start of the season – only his fourth United appearance in total – against Villarreal showed a commanding young centre-half ready to make the step up.

"It was a good night for him, and it’s an indication of his quality," Sir Alex told ManUtd.com. "We had offers for him from three or four clubs in the summer, but we stuck to our guns because we believe in him.

"Jonny will be the future centre-half for Manchester United, there’s no doubt about that. That’s a vindication of our belief in the boy, and also proves that he can believe what we’re saying to him - he'll play a lot of football here.

"He’ll get plenty of games and his performance on Wednesday gave me an idea of how to approach the match against Chelsea on Sunday."

Evans came very close to breaking the 0-0 deadlock against Villarreal when his header from Cristiano Ronaldo’s cross rebounded off the post. "He hit the inside of the woodwork in the second half and had a chance right after half-time, a nice header that went just past the post,” Sir Alex said. “He did well because he was carrying a slight groin injury.”

The Reds boss sees Evans carving a career at the top of the game if he continues the rapid progress he has made in recent years in United’s youth team, Reserves and in loan spells at Royal Antwerp and Sunderland.

"He’s only 20 years old but he’s already got around 10 international caps,” he added. “Jonny will be a fixture for Northern Ireland now and I imagine he’ll be their captain in time - he’s an outstanding candidate for that. He’s a boy with a great talent and we’re very pleased with his progress."

Evans is our future defender which means no need to buy a replacement for Vida or Rio
as Evans is just gr8
:)

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
For the Chelsea game;

I'll be a bit upset if anyone other than Evans plays.

Hes a fantastic player imo, and he has a great amount of potential. And hes definitely the natural replacement for Rio OR Vidic.

Hes bigger and stronger and quicker than Brown, so he'll be able to deal with Drogba or Anelka depending on who plays. And sorry, but if Neville plays at RB we'll be destroyed, and we need to play Hargreaves in CM.

And if we can't play Evans, and show we have faith in him, we may as well sell him.

·
Banned
9,926 Posts
Despite his great potential, I'd be surprised if Fergie played him at the Bridge.

We don't need any mess ups and its a huge game to throw him into...I'd have,

hargo...Brwon...Rio...evra

Evans will be the regular center back though when the time is right, he's got the United talent

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
manutd004 said:
For the Chelsea game;

I'll be a bit upset if anyone other than Evans plays.

Hes a fantastic player imo, and he has a great amount of potential. And hes definitely the natural replacement for Rio OR Vidic.

Hes bigger and stronger and quicker than Brown, so he'll be able to deal with Drogba or Anelka depending on who plays. And sorry, but if Neville plays at RB we'll be destroyed, and we need to play Hargreaves in CM.

And if we can't play Evans, and show we have faith in him, we may as well sell him.
Ditto with the part in bold.

Not sure if he's bigger and stronger, but he sure is quicker and better at CB than Brown :)

I don't think we should sell him even if he doesn't play on Sunday. He just might not be ready yet. there's the mental aspect of the game, so he can still have a bright future even if he doesn't play on Sunday, but I understand what you;re saying.

He's meant to be in the squad to be defensive cover and this is the time where he's supposed to play and be the cover - so if Fergie doesn't play him it means, he can only cover in games other than the big ones, which would suck for Evans big time.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Keano! said:
We don't need any mess ups and its a huge game to throw him into...I'd have,

hargo...Brown...Rio...evra
I disagree.

If he played last night, I see no reason why he shouldn't play on Sunday.

And it may be a risk, but I don't think its any bigger a risk than playing Brown at CB as I honestly think that Evans is on a par with Brown as a CB.

If we play him, it'll either be that he'll be seriously crap or he'll be fantastic. And I see no reason why he can't be fantastic.

·
All round nice guy
3,887 Posts
argh this is getting on my tits now.

as i said before most of you guys who are calling for evans to play are gonna be raging if we lose and evans makes any mistakes, as fickle as you are.

If he played last night, I see no reason why he shouldn't play on Sunday.
1) He'll probably be up against Drogba. Good luck to a skinny 20 year old with barely any PL experience playing against one of the best, strongest strikers in the world. Theres only a few defenders in the world who can deal with Drogba, you honestly think Evans will cope just fine if Drogba is even half on form?

2) Away to Chelsea at Stamford Bridge. Fighting to not go 9 points behind. Chelsea unbeaten in 84 games at home. No pressure.

3) 1 tiny mistake from Evans and he and Ferguson will be ****ing roasted by every single one of you, the media etc. This could then dent his confidence, which might slow his progress.

4) "Evans is on a par with Brown at CB" are you ****ing joking? I actually bet you've only seen Evans play a handful of games (mickey mouse reserve and carling cup games, no doubt you'll deny this though) what was the last game Brown played at CB? Barcelona? oh yeah, how'd he play in that match against the best attack in the world (besides ours)?

5) Care to explain how its a bigger risk to play Brown ahead of a 20 year old with 0 experience in a match of this importance, away etc etc?

Hes bigger and stronger and quicker than Brown
quicker no doubt. but bigger and stronger? haha ok, what have you been smoking?

Forget Rooney, Ronaldo whoever, if there was 1 player in the entire Man Utd squad that I'd want to be playing in this match it would be Vidic. big miss.

If Evans plays and we win, then fair play and good times. I just think Ferguson should play the percentages, and use Brown CB and either Hargreaves or Neville at RB.

41 - 60 of 254 Posts