Manchester United Talk banner

the legends or the new guys? which side are you on?

938 views 17 replies 15 participants last post by  Jay007 
#1 ·
the 1999 forward quartet of yorke , cole, ole and teddy versus the 2008/09 vintage of berba, rooney,tevez and ronaldo.

which was the best?? totally different players with different styles and different partnerships....so which set one the greatest quartet and who side are you one??? legends or the new guys???

#5 ·
Well as it is, the legends without doubt. You had the unstoppable Cole/Yorke partnership, the playmaker in Sheringham, and the lethal super-sub in Solskjaer. However, the current batch are all young, and if they stick together have at least another 4 years in them as the oldest is Berbatov but I don't think a slight drop in fitness would hinder his game too much anyway. So they could gain an incredible understanding in that time and grow greatly as individuals, so they definitely have the potential to be the best we've ever had.

#6 ·
dont think you can touch the foursome that was yorkie, cole,ole and teddy - you had a combination of players who could work together in so many different partnerships and on so many levels. each of them individually brought a variety of skills to the side and when combined together were totally awesome to watch, they guys now are still going to have to go some to get near the level that quartet played at

#12 ·
No doubt, '99.

Let's not mention that Ronaldo isn't a striker.

Anyway, when I see Ronaldo doing ads, Berbatov
hustling his way to glory, Rooney's Street Striker
and Tevez whoring himself out to us I sort of think
about pre-'99 and how different players used to be.

#13 ·
abojodeh said:
true

but in 99 if we had yorke cole becks or scholes missing we won't face a problem but if we miss ronaldo we all go blushing and worried
I disagree. We were playing with Jesper Blomvqist and Nicky Butt in the
'99 final. Nowadays if Hargreaves and Scholes (who, for arguments
sake are our two best CMs) are unavailible, we play Anderson and Carrick. If Ronaldo's injured
we play Park Ji-Sung who's hardly bad and we're good enough all round
to cope with it anyway. In '99 we had Sheringham and Solskjaer on the bench,
OK. But we also had Jonathan Greening and David May. Hardly world beaters.

Nowadays look at our bench, Tevez, Anderson, Nani, Evans. Big difference,
I'd say.

#16 ·
for me..

squad depththe new guys win this for me as the injury crisis we had a couple weeks go when we werre missing something like 10 first team players and still wining says it all and not just wining keeping clean sheets aswell! ii think it says a lot that today our something like 7th choice midfilder was man of the match! i think that we have the best squad in the wolrd and that were never lacking quailty no matter how many injuries we have

achivements99 class ...so far.....the present class of players have the chance to do the quadripule :eek: but the 99 group have been there and won the trble something the present group almost did last season

its had to call but overall id go for the present group of players

#17 ·
as far as a complete package, no doubt its the 99 team, I mean we had an unstoppable partnership in cole and yorke, an experienced goal poacher in sheringham, and a talismanic solskjaer. but I do feel that the current team has the potential to be as good if not better, It all comes down to ronaldo to be honest, because out of the 99 strike force theres no one who was as good as he is right now, we also need to fully materialize the berba and rooney partnership for this to happen. So I think the question might be better clarified in 4-5 years when we will see Imo the current crop at its all.

#18 ·
I have to go with the 99 group overall.

It's hard to judge really, as their all great, and different, players in their own right. However, I think as a collective group the 99 group and in terms of dimension are probably better.

You've also got to consider attitude, and seeing as Cole and Yorke was seen as the first choice partnership, you had Ole and Teddy who were both happy and effective coming from the bench.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.