Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Former United Keeper Luke Steele produced a World Class performance today as Barnsley beat Liverpool 2-1 at Anfailed in the FA Cup.

Liverpool took a lucky lead through a Duck Kuyt goal.
Barnsley levelled with a Foster headed goal.

Liverpool were all over Barnsley but Their debutant goalie Luke Steele and defenders performed heroics.
Barnsley's manager (a childhood Pool fan) said that Steele had produced 'worldies', a term unused since Gordon Banks' heroics in 1970.

Barnsley's captain felt he should have had a penalty after being caught by Sami Hyppia but picked himself up to collect the ball on the edge of the area before firing into the bottom corner to snatch an incredible victory.

The news that Liverpool had lost today made my afternoon, but it was nothing in comparison to the most beautiful, passionate and determind football that we are used to seeing at Old Trafford.

So thank you Luke Steele and Barnsley for making this an extra special day :)

·
Banned
9,926 Posts
Saw him a few times while he was at United. Looked real quality, and I don't know why United let him go. Foster's coming through, but I feel we should have hung onto him. However, if we did, then he wouldn't have been at Anfield today and been able to help Barnsley knock out the Pile! Eh?

·
Banned
4,946 Posts
United paid 500,000 for him ...

Then used him as part exchange for Tomas Kusczac ...

If he plays like that every game for Barnsley we might be regretting letting him go.

I was amazed at the amount of top quality saves he made against Liverpool.

First game for them too ...

He doesn't even know all his team mates names yet, lmao ...

Bet they know his now !

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
carlyluvsunited said:
United paid 500,000 for him ...

Then used him as part exchange for Tomas Kusczac ...

If he plays like that every game for Barnsley we might be regretting letting him go.

I was amazed at the amount of top quality saves he made against Liverpool.

First game for them too ...

He doesn't even know all his team mates names yet, lmao ...

Bet they know his now !
it was a one off if he was any good wba wouldn have let him off on loan! fair play to him tho great performance v pleased for him!!

·
Registered
6,607 Posts
eoininho said:
it was a one off if he was any good wba wouldn have let him off on loan! fair play to him tho great performance v pleased for him!!
Don't talk rubbish!!! He was good enough for Barry Fry to recommend him to United wasn't he? Its not Steele's fault United got rid of him. AND, it could come back to haunt us.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Red Devil said:
Don't talk rubbish!!! He was good enough for Barry Fry to recommend him to United wasn't he? Its not Steele's fault United got rid of him. AND, it could come back to haunt us.
HE ISNT GOOD ENOUGH FOR THE WEST BROMWICH ALBION TEAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and as for Barry Fry i think you're the one talkin 'rubbish'!

is darren fletcher our best player now... these are one off performances!! i was delighted to see steele having such a good game but be realistic he will never play top flight football!

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
What an amazing debut for Steele. He must have been nervous playing at Anfield but he played an absolute blinder.

A big thank you from all the United fans. Barnsley winning made a superb weekend even better.

Luke Steele, we salute you!

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Red Devil said:
What are you on, send me a few grams of it eh? BARRY FRY recommended Luke Steele to Fergie - FACT! OK?
i believe he did (thats not what i was gettin at) but he's hardly the most highly regarded individual in world football ffs... just cos he says somethin means toss all!

·
Registered
6,607 Posts
eoininho said:
i believe he did (thats not what i was gettin at) but he's hardly the most highly regarded individual in world football ffs... just cos he says somethin means toss all!
OK, fairy snuff, lets look at this a slightly different way - Barry Fry is a good mate of Fergie's - if HE recommends someone to Fergie, then Fergie will know he is not speaking out of his proverbials.

Barry is one of the real characters of the game and a half decent manager too. Football needs people like him otherwise it was vanish up its corporate backsides.

Personally, if Barry Fry says to me that he has aplayer at his club who is going to the top, I would listen. Steve Coppell was in the same position, playing decent footy, but hardly mind blowing, at Tranmere Rovers, someone spotted "something" and told Tommy Docherty who grabbed him quick - the rest is history.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Red Devil said:
OK, fairy snuff, lets look at this a slightly different way - Barry Fry is a good mate of Fergie's - if HE recommends someone to Fergie, then Fergie will know he is not speaking out of his proverbials.

Barry is one of the real characters of the game and a half decent manager too. Football needs people like him otherwise it was vanish up its corporate backsides.

Personally, if Barry Fry says to me that he has aplayer at his club who is going to the top, I would listen. Steve Coppell was in the same position, playing decent footy, but hardly mind blowing, at Tranmere Rovers, someone spotted "something" and told Tommy Docherty who grabbed him quick - the rest is history.
thats all weel and good but the fact of the matter is he clearly wasnt good enough for united, isnt good enough west brom, and had 1 brilliant performance!

and i like barry fry v funny goon but wouldnt take his word as gospel

·
Registered
6,607 Posts
Time will prove one of us right eventually I presume. I think he was good though; what a performance to have on your debut!!! Supreme!!

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
Goalkeeper is such a difficult position to break into and when you make a mistake it's so difficult to come back (as Paul Robinson is finding at Spurs).

Cudicini barely gets a game at Chelsea but I think he's one of the best keepers in the Prem. Harper has sat on the bench at Newcastle for years. Dudek won the Champions League with Liverpool but now just sits on the bench at Real.

It's worth waiting to see how Steele copes with a run in the first team before judging him.

·
Registered
6,607 Posts
Steve James is generally considered to be the best, or top 2 in the Prem. Thats a mile away from his torrid time at one or two other clubs. He is class, rightly so, now but he left it late. All he needed was game time, Harry gave him that at Portsmouth.

Z

·
0 Posts
Red Devil said:
Steve James is generally considered to be the best, or top 2 in the Prem. Thats a mile away from his torrid time at one or two other clubs. He is class, rightly so, now but he left it late. All he needed was game time, Harry gave him that at Portsmouth.
DAVID James :D

Edit: 2-1 ;)

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Red Devil said:
he's a great keeper but has made the most amazing errors in important occassions over the years: 'calamity james', therefore i dont think he should be rated among the best, he's never played at champions league level, he prob is englands best at the moment tho, but that isn't sayin a whole lot!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts