Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reports - City go for Hughes
Blackburn boss emerges as contender to replace Eriksson

Manchester City have made an approach for Blackburn Rovers manager Mark Hughes, according to reports.

Current City boss Sven Goran Eriksson is awaiting the sack at Eastlands following just one season in charge.

Owner Thaksin Shinawatra was unhappy with the team's performance in the second half of the campaign, despite City qualifying for Europe via the Fair Play League.

Former Chelsea bosses Avram Grant and Jose Mourinho, along with Portugal coach Luiz Felipe Scolari, have been linked with the job.

However, reports now claim that Blackburn boss Hughes is Shinawatra's prime target to succeed Eriksson in the hot seat.

According to the Mail on Sunday, City approached their Premier League rivals on Saturday for permission to speak to Hughes.

The ex-Manchester United striker has performed a sterling job at Ewood Park since being appointed as manager in September 2004.

Hughes has led the club to three consecutive top 10 finishes in the Premier League and has been an astute operator in the transfer market.

He has been mooted as an eventual successor to Sir Alex Ferguson at Old Trafford and is also under consideration to replace Grant at another of his old clubs Chelsea.

Rovers would be loath to lose the ex-Wales national team coach, but reports suggest Shinawatra is ready to offer Hughes £3million a year to move to the City of Manchester Stadium.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
I don't think Sparky will give up what he's got at Blackburn. A good, young team who will be pushing for a UEFA Cup spot next season. Not to mention the amount they'll get with the sale of Bentley who'll probably be sold this summer.

I can't see it happening to be honest.

Edit: Just look at how the chairman Shinawatra has treated Sven. Sven has had a good season (by City's standards!!!), the fans want him to stay, yet Shinawatra wants him gone so he's sacked! Why would Hughes leave a club where the board is fully behind him and his job is secure to go and work for a chairman who knows as much about football as my dead granny and treats his managers with no respect :rolleyes:

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Keano4taoiseach said:
I don't think Sparky will give up what he's got at Blackburn. A good, young team who will be pushing for a UEFA Cup spot next season. Not to mention the amount they'll get with the sale of Bentley who'll probably be sold this summer.

I can't see it happening to be honest.

Edit: Just look at how the chairman Shinawatra has treated Sven. Sven has had a good season (by City's standards!!!), the fans want him to stay, yet Shinawatra wants him gone so he's sacked! Why would Hughes leave a club where the board is fully behind him and his job is secure to go and work for a chairman who knows as much about football as my dead granny and treats his managers with no respect :rolleyes:
I would certainly agree with all of it.

No doubt hes done a remarkable job. I think he would consider leaving if it was a good, solid job where he could be fully backed. But that certainly isn't City.

Plus the fact hes waiting at Blackburn till Sir Alex retires! :p

·
Registered
10 Posts
Mark Hughes must be mad to even think of becoming citys next boss, chances are he wont be able to break into the euro spots soon enough for Shinawatra and will end up going the same way as Sven and even if he manages to make city into a top 6 side how many United fans will want an ex city manager as the next boss ?

Either way he could be ruling himself out of the United job in the future.

·
Registered
6,605 Posts
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!

Wrong Move Mark; do not take it. Your better off where you are, appreciated and loved. If you go to Citeh, you will have such pressure on you and no appreciation from fans who have had nothing for so long.

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
He's one of my favourite Man United players of all time. Not sure how I'd feel about him managing City :eek:

·
Banned
9,926 Posts
Hope he refuses it!

He's a leading candidate for Fergies position when Alex retires.

Huge mistake, IMO, if he goes to the blue half of Manchester

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I've always said him to take over when Fergie retires but imagine that if he took over City and then joined us ouch!

Hopefully he won't join, if he does i think Bentley and Santa Cruz (probably there two best players) will leave.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Mark Hughes

is this a good move going to waistlands ????

cant see him being the next united manager after being the boss at city

just found the other thread thanks

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
DTainton said:
Such a shame... I'm a big fan of Mark Hughes but it's a sad day for football !!:(
I think its very simple why he chose to go to Citeh. In Blackburn he never had the chance to buy the big players. In Citeh there's money to build a team for Champions League.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts