Manchester United Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Kellfire said:
I'm a massive fan of Carrick, I think he's integral to our game in big matches. He isn't quite as free to do his own thing as he was at Spurs, but he's bagged two good goals on his bad foot already this season.

He keeps the game ticking over, looksfor a killer pass, retaining possession, excellent positional sense (doesn't tackle much but intercepts so many passes and blocks off runs a lot), calm under pressure. He isn't a spectacular player, which some people see as lack of skill, but we don't need that from him.
Good assessment Kellfire and welcome to the forum.
Carrick remaining fit is a must if United want to win trophies this season, so lets hope he does.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
I change my mind a lot about Carrick. I dont think he scores enough goals
but he contributes so much in other areas such as passing, tracking back,
reading the game etc....Since we have signed him we have won lots of trophies
and that's no coincidence. He is no where near the player the former number 16 was,
and I think some try to compare the 2.

He is a top top player and probably our most consistent midfielder,
but I would still have the odd concern. I think he is
overrated in some quarters. Dont get me wrong, he is top class, but he is NOT
as good as the likes of Lampard, Gerrard and Barry, so he will find it hard to
get into the England team (which is probably good for United)

Maybe cos we are United we expect to have THE very best players in EVERY position.
We have the best defence in the league, the best winger in the league and the
best attackers in the league, but do we have the best midfield? No we dont.

I wouldnt suggest selling Carrick or any other central midfielder. We seem to have
a plethera of very good midfielders, but do we have an Essien or a Gerrard type player?
unfortunately not. saying that, I wouldnt change Carrick for anyone. He has done
the business for United on a consistent level so hats off to him for that.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Good on Carrick. He is going from strength to strength and is now our most influential
midfielder. I reckon he will play all the big games alongside Scholes/Giggs or Fletch.
He is really proving to be a vital player. If he could chip in with an extra goal or two
he would be one of the best.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts