Manchester United Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
sparkic said:
One of the most underrated players in the EPL.
I am so glad his back for us!
He brings us so much stability and it was only after he got subed off we lost to Poo this season...it was so great to see him score too! He should take more shots...just like he did in the 7-1 win vs Roma!
I agree, he was the un-sung hero of our team for the past two seasons. He proved the doubters wrong, being a success. Is it a coincidence that we've won the league every time since he arrived? Either way, he's a composed player, keeps it simple, and works for the team really well.

Today I didn't think he was at his best, passing completion rate wasn't at its usual perfection, but he did well going forward and grabbed a goal. A real boost to have him back in the team.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
I was thinking of starting a thread, but I'll just post it here:

Carrick to take Scholes' place, and not Anderson?

I don't mean long-term of course, but for this season, I think so.

About Scholes: He's been out for a bit, and I'm not saying he's out of the team now, but I don't think he should automatically retain his central midfield role when he returns. I'm really liking the Carrick, Fletcher partnership in midfield, it's allowed Carrick to get forward more, be a real play-maker, and even grab a couple of goals (yes against Hull and Stoke but...) Could he just step into Scholes' role, of being the defence-splitting passer, and tempo-controller of the team? I think so, I don't think he is or will ever will be as good as Paul Scholes in his prime, but when's the last time Scholes got forward and had a crack at goal? Yes, I realise he's older than he used to be. Fletcher would then step into Carrick/Hargreaves' role, and hopefully continue the form he's showed thus far this season.

Scholes would then take a step back, like Giggs has done for the last couple of seasons. He'll obviously get a few appearances, but his main uses would be preparing and educating the younger players. He's 34 now, he can't be playing week in week out. Face it.

Actually, didn't Carrick used to be a playmaker-type player at West Ham? Not sure.

I know we want Anderson eventually taking this role into the team. But at the moment, and I speak I think for the majority of the United fans, I'm seeing more similarities between Carrick and Scholes than I am Anderson and Scholes. Anderson needs to be more adventurous, take note of what Carrick's doing now.

Thoughts on Scholes and Carrick's similarities, differences and just generally, what will Scholes' role be at the club this term? Will he take a similar one to Giggs? I don't know, maybe I haven't seen Scholes in a couple of months (or however long it's been) and I'm not appreciating the Ginger Prince as much as I should, but we're going to have to start preparing for life after him at some point...

Or maybe I'm jumping on the bandwagon on Carrick getting two goals?!

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
It was a sublime pass.

Carrick has definitely benefited from playing next to the master that is Paul Scholes, so perhaps that could do the same for Anderson. But, that might be too risky, as we'd be pretty exposed in midfield without Carrick or Fletcher.

Originally Posted by peterswellman
IMO, I would have Hargreaves in my team over Carrick anyday of the week. A much better player and a brillant midfield.
LOL.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
Carrick is probably playing the best out of any midfielder in the prem right now. Most of Chelsea's superstars are in a bad patch, namely Mikel. Gerrard hasn't impressed me for a while, on as well as off the pitch. Ditto Fabregas. The only ones comparable to Carrick are Alonso and Arteta, and I'd put him over both of those at the moment.

In the world? Maybe... Xavi would rival him though. I just hope he can carry this form on, and put in some good performances in Europe, like he did a couple of years ago against Roma and Milan. His influence could be vital against Inter, with him going up against Cambiasso...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts