Manchester United Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
I'm so gorgeous they want to arrest me
8,772 Posts
Carrick has been fantastic this season with the exception of the last 2 or 3 games. He has been our best midfield player this season IMO.

·
8,772 Posts
Manchester United's Michael Carrick Wins Praise From Colleagues

Michael Carrick has earned the praise of team-mate Paul Scholes and manager Sir Alex Ferguson...

Many critics of the English national team have cited the absence of Paul Scholes as the reason why the Three Lions have failed to exert themselves fully since the veteran midfielder's international retirement.

The attacking duo of Frank Lampard and Steven Gerrard has been tried on countless occasions, but no manager has yet to make them click.

Michael Carrick though would offer something different.

His playmaking credentials have been key to many Manchester United wins since his transfer from Tottenham Hotspur in 2006, and the ability to carve defences open would no doubt play him into Fabio Capello's favour when selecting his next England squad.

When facing his former club in the fourth round of the FA Cup, the 27-year old did not hide away from the occasion, and manufactured the goals that Paul Scholes and Dimitar Berbatov rounded off in the 35th and 36th minutes.

After the match Sir Alex Ferguson commented on the Berbatov assist and beamed on MUTV that it was "a marvellous pass," and team-mate Paul Scholes - himself known for his audacious assists - added:

"It was a great finish from Berba but I think you have to look at the pass as well from Michael.

"The pass split the defence wide open. It was a great ball and Berba had the simple task of putting it in the net."

Reflecting on the game as a whole, Scholes said: "It was quite a poor start, we were sloppy, giving the ball away and they made us pay for that.

"But we stuck at it, kept going forward and then got a lucky goal. Was it mine? If it was on target, yes. If not, then it wasn't," he concluded.

·
8,772 Posts
piazza said:
I wish he'd hit more through balls on the deck like he did against Spurs, I'd like to see him pushed a little more forward on occasion, in a more playmaking role.
Yes I agree. I would also like him to take more shots as he has quite a shot on him.

·
8,772 Posts
Alex Ferguson's Hails Manchester United's 'Unassuming' Michael Carrick

In a team full of superstars, the Geordie midfielder's work often goes unnoticed. Not by his manager though...

Michael Carrick is one of the game's less noticeable characters. A classy midfielder who can stroke the ball around the park with nonchalant ease when on form, his vital work in the midfield, like that of his team-mate Darren Fletcher, is often overshadowed by the more obviously dazzling talents of the likes of Wayne Rooney and Carlos Tevez.

Alex Ferguson though clearly appreciates the work done by the softly-spoken native of England's North East, and has taken the time today to praise Carrick's contribution to a season that is shaping up nicely for the Red Devils.

"People have their favourites and when you are supporting a club like United where there are players like Cristiano Ronaldo, Ryan Giggs and Wayne Rooney, it is easy to declare your allegiance to the ones who are in the limelight all the time," Ferguson told The Manchester Evening News earlier.

"Sometimes other players get overlooked. It has happened to quite a few in my time, especially the quieter ones.

"Denis Irwin gave me eight or nine out of 10 every week but he never had the celebrity status of people like David Beckham or Eric Cantona. Michael Carrick may come into that category because football clubs are all the same."

Ferguson has been a positive influence on Carrick, whom he acknowledges has always possessed great passing ability and vision, and has pushed the 27-year-old on to improve other parts of his game, with his defensive displays in particular being hailed by the Scotsman.

"Michael was already good enough for me to sign him because what he always had, from his young days at West Ham, was vision and a good range of passing that could open up defences," Ferguson continued.

"Since coming to United, he has developed physically and improved tremendously in defensive terms. In that department he is top drawer now.

"He fills positions really well and nips off threats going towards the back four. That is an area that maybe people don't recognise because they just expect him to be playing football and making passes.

"But overall, he is an excellent player."

1 - 5 of 5 Posts