Manchester United Talk banner
21 - 40 of 102 Posts

·
TROLOLOLOL
4,076 Posts
Dunno how him not gettin stuck in,did anyone see England Germany last night :S He was class,and battering seven shades of the brown stuff out of Ze GermanZ.He was instrumental last night and a credit to the English game.

·
23,699 Posts
daily express

NOTHING WASTEFUL ABOUT CARRICK

MICHAEL CARRICK had been the exception to the England rule under Fabio Capello, but the midfielder last night proved international friendlies are not a complete waste of time.

The Capello way is to reward players for their form at club level. By that theory, Carrick should be one of the first names on the team-sheet.

Champions League and Premier League winners' medals with Manchester United could not be matched by Carrick's England rivals, Frank Lampard, Steven Gerrard and Gareth Barry last season.

But, before the trip to Germany, there had not been room for Carrick in the centre of what is becoming a congested England midfield. Injuries to Lampard and Gerrard cleared the path for him to make his first appearance under Capello. No wonder he could not agree with the popular theory the Berlin friendly was meaningless.

The fact Carrick took Roy Keane's No16 shirt at Old Trafford only reinforces the belief he relishes a challenge and is not bothered about stepping into big shoes. United manager Sir Alex Ferguson may not be “too interested†in England recognition for his players, but Carrick clearly wants to make a mark before Capello gets too far down the road of planning for the 2010 World Cup.

Carrick is not of the same dynamic mould as Lampard and Gerrard, and does not offer much of a goalscoring threat. But his strength is a commodity Capello places a great deal of value in – he keeps the ball.

That may seem a simple quality, but it is one England had been sadly lacking in before the Italian took charge.

Alongside Barry against Germany, Carrick was given the same job he carries out so expertly for United. Allowing his partner to push on, the 27-year-old was told to hold his position, offer England's defenders the short pass from the back and start attacks.

The only difficulty at times was that Barry is not accustomed to having to get forward for his country and did not always make the most of the licence Carrick gave him to roam.

Both Gerrard and Lampard would have relished being given the freedom Carrick allowed Barry, but too often England did not have a central midfielder close enough to the front two. Shaun Wright-Phillips and Stewart Downing, though, made better use of the fact Carrick looks to both flanks when he is in possession.

What Carrick and Barry lacked as a pair going forward, they made up for with their ability to stifle the German attacks. In the first half particularly, neither Jermaine Jones nor Simon Rolfes got anywhere near the England area to support Germany's strikers.

In all likelihood it will have to be Barry or Carrick in future, with both players mindful of the fact Owen Hargreaves could jump ahead of them when fit.

But last night was largely about Capello assessing his options and the assured performance of Carrick will have given him even more to think about when next selecting his midfield.

sport.co

Carrick aiming to cement his England place

Michael Carrick is aiming to keep his place in the England team after starring in the friendly victory over rivals Germany. The Manchester United star partnered Gareth Barry in midfield and seemed to click straight away in an impressive performance."We did really well and deserved to win. We had young players in the team and it's great with this manager that he will pick players who are in form," said Carrick.

"Now I want to stay in the squad, that's the aim. It's always been the aim for me and it's up to me to play well enough through Christmas and January to warrant a place again when we play in Spain in February."

Carrick believes England deserved to win in Berlin, even though they almost threw away victory when they gifted Germany a second-half equaliser after Matthew Upson had put the Three Lions ahead. But thankfully John Terry came up with a late winner.

Carrick said: "We played very well as a team and there were also some good individual performances. I feel we deserved to win. We created some good opportunities. It's not an easy place to come and win but confidence is good within the squad right now.

"I'm not sure what the manager's secret is but everyone is enjoying playing for their country, like you should.The confidence and belief is there for all to see. People were asking questions about the team we put out but we all showed the strength e have in the squad. When everyone is playing well it's a good place to be. Germany is not an easy place to come and win but I loved every minute of it."

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
I was thinking of starting a thread, but I'll just post it here:

Carrick to take Scholes' place, and not Anderson?

I don't mean long-term of course, but for this season, I think so.

About Scholes: He's been out for a bit, and I'm not saying he's out of the team now, but I don't think he should automatically retain his central midfield role when he returns. I'm really liking the Carrick, Fletcher partnership in midfield, it's allowed Carrick to get forward more, be a real play-maker, and even grab a couple of goals (yes against Hull and Stoke but...) Could he just step into Scholes' role, of being the defence-splitting passer, and tempo-controller of the team? I think so, I don't think he is or will ever will be as good as Paul Scholes in his prime, but when's the last time Scholes got forward and had a crack at goal? Yes, I realise he's older than he used to be. Fletcher would then step into Carrick/Hargreaves' role, and hopefully continue the form he's showed thus far this season.

Scholes would then take a step back, like Giggs has done for the last couple of seasons. He'll obviously get a few appearances, but his main uses would be preparing and educating the younger players. He's 34 now, he can't be playing week in week out. Face it.

Actually, didn't Carrick used to be a playmaker-type player at West Ham? Not sure.

I know we want Anderson eventually taking this role into the team. But at the moment, and I speak I think for the majority of the United fans, I'm seeing more similarities between Carrick and Scholes than I am Anderson and Scholes. Anderson needs to be more adventurous, take note of what Carrick's doing now.

Thoughts on Scholes and Carrick's similarities, differences and just generally, what will Scholes' role be at the club this term? Will he take a similar one to Giggs? I don't know, maybe I haven't seen Scholes in a couple of months (or however long it's been) and I'm not appreciating the Ginger Prince as much as I should, but we're going to have to start preparing for life after him at some point...

Or maybe I'm jumping on the bandwagon on Carrick getting two goals?!

·
Registered
1 Posts
It was great to see Carrick finally get a good run in for the England side, he's arguably one of the Premier League's best midfielders and he's been consistently performing - it's a shame he's never really been giving the chance whereas midfielders like Lumpard in the past have never been able to put a foot wrong...but anyway he did great for England on Wednesday night

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Because I'm DC said:

About Scholes: He's been out for a bit, and I'm not saying he's out of the team now, but I don't think he should automatically retain his central midfield role when he returns. I'm really liking the Carrick, Fletcher partnership in midfield, it's allowed Carrick to get forward more, be a real play-maker, and even grab a couple of goals (yes against Hull and Stoke but...) Could he just step into Scholes' role, of being the defence-splitting passer, and tempo-controller of the team? I think so, I don't think he is or will ever will be as good as Paul Scholes in his prime, but when's the last time Scholes got forward and had a crack at goal? Yes, I realise he's older than he used to be. Fletcher would then step into Carrick/Hargreaves' role, and hopefully continue the form he's showed thus far this season.

Scholes would then take a step back, like Giggs has done for the last couple of seasons. He'll obviously get a few appearances, but his main uses would be preparing and educating the younger players. He's 34 now, he can't be playing week in week out. Face it.

Actually, didn't Carrick used to be a playmaker-type player at West Ham? Not sure.

I know we want Anderson eventually taking this role into the team. But at the moment, and I speak I think for the majority of the United fans, I'm seeing more similarities between Carrick and Scholes than I am Anderson and Scholes. Anderson needs to be more adventurous, take note of what Carrick's doing now.

Thoughts on Scholes and Carrick's similarities, differences and just generally, what will Scholes' role be at the club this term? Will he take a similar one to Giggs? I don't know, maybe I haven't seen Scholes in a couple of months (or however long it's been) and I'm not appreciating the Ginger Prince as much as I should, but we're going to have to start preparing for life after him at some point...

Very good post IMO.

I think when Anderson was bought, we thought he'd be the guy to take over Scholes and Carrick was the guy to take over Keane, but you;re right that at the moment Carrick is displaying more similarities with Scholes than Anderson is.

But Anderson can get there if he puts his mind to it.

Anderson is also capable of picking a sweet pass, but not as often as Carrick and his long-range passing is not as good either.

As I said at the start of the thread, it would be great for him to start scoring and he's done that now.

Hopefully he can get forward more and either learn to carry the ball forward more often and/or score more regularly.

The one aspect that he might have problems emulating scholes is controlling a game to the same degree.

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
My only worry is that Carrick can't dictate the tempo of a game half as good as Scholes, so we would definately have to change our style a bit (which we would anyway if we played Anderson or Fletcher instead of Scholes.

Caarick's through balls are the best in the team IMO, but I don' think he is anywhere near as good at tempo setting as Scholes is, but then he makes up that with his excellent reading of the game and positioning.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Kellfire said:
I'm a massive fan of Carrick, I think he's integral to our game in big matches. He isn't quite as free to do his own thing as he was at Spurs, but he's bagged two good goals on his bad foot already this season.

He keeps the game ticking over, looksfor a killer pass, retaining possession, excellent positional sense (doesn't tackle much but intercepts so many passes and blocks off runs a lot), calm under pressure. He isn't a spectacular player, which some people see as lack of skill, but we don't need that from him.
I think thats a good assessment.

Also, the point I've highlighted is a good point, one which I would agree with and think that could be one of the reasons why he is so under-rated. Because he isn't as free to do his own thing, and because now hes a small fish in a big pond (instead of the big fish in a small pond) his contribution goes more unnoticed.

The likes of Ronaldo, Rooney, Berbatov, Tevez etc, will always grab the headlines, while the 'dirty work' of Carrick, along with Fletcher, Park and Co, will go unnoticed and be under-rated.

I'm a fan of Carrick. He is a very important player in the midfield, but two things I think he needs to improve on are his goal ratio (He has a fantastic shot, and is a decent finisher as well) and by trying to control the pace of the game more. If he can improve these two, he'll certainly be a fantastic midfielder and more complete.

Because I'm DC said:

I would agree that atm Carrick is displaying more similarities to Scholes.

Imo, neither Carrick or Anderson are DMers, but I think that their partnership has a lot of potential (although atm I would pick Carrick and Fletcher.) I think Anderson could well become more of a Michael Essien for us, being the driving force in our midfield. However, hes still young and needs time, and he himself needs to take his game to the next level.

If Anderson and Carrick could both improve their goal-scoring and partnership, as well as other weaker points individually, we could have a truly world-class central midfield on our hands.

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
Everybody talks about Anderson but I'd take Carrick over him any day of the week.

Personally I think he's the closest thing England have at the moment to a genuine playmaker.

If Scholes can manage to teach him a thing or two he may just end up with some extraordinary passing ability.

·
Banned
82 Posts
What i find annoying is the fact people listen to what the pundits say during a match and then take it as gospel and fact without using there own brains and sometimes the whole media circus get on the bandwagon of the pundits.

Roy Keane has the best advice, when watching a game on TV, turn off the sound and make your own opinions of players.

From the first whistle of the England game David Pleat and the other bloke? were almost making me puke with there premeditated praise of Carrick.

Admittedly he played quite well but nothing special and he did give the ball away cheaply on occasions.

·
Im not fat... im sex.
8,817 Posts
Michael Carrick

weve got a nani, anderson and berbatov thread and i think its fair we have a thread for all players we have 'concerns with'

now i aint gunna start carrick bashing cause the lads class but his form as of late for ME hasnt been what it was say last season

perhaps its a team thing cause lets face it they have all had a drop in form this year, but yesterday besides 1 or 2 killer balls i hardly saw carrick in the game were people were quick to jump on anderson or fletchers back both of them where trying to get influence within it fair play they didnt but they gave more effort than i thought carrick did

shout at me if you like but i just think its unfair we slate some players and not others :cool:

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Are you serious. I was reading the star recently and 10 experts gave their team of the season so far and 6 of them had Carrick. He has been class so far tis season.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
I change my mind a lot about Carrick. I dont think he scores enough goals
but he contributes so much in other areas such as passing, tracking back,
reading the game etc....Since we have signed him we have won lots of trophies
and that's no coincidence. He is no where near the player the former number 16 was,
and I think some try to compare the 2.

He is a top top player and probably our most consistent midfielder,
but I would still have the odd concern. I think he is
overrated in some quarters. Dont get me wrong, he is top class, but he is NOT
as good as the likes of Lampard, Gerrard and Barry, so he will find it hard to
get into the England team (which is probably good for United)

Maybe cos we are United we expect to have THE very best players in EVERY position.
We have the best defence in the league, the best winger in the league and the
best attackers in the league, but do we have the best midfield? No we dont.

I wouldnt suggest selling Carrick or any other central midfielder. We seem to have
a plethera of very good midfielders, but do we have an Essien or a Gerrard type player?
unfortunately not. saying that, I wouldnt change Carrick for anyone. He has done
the business for United on a consistent level so hats off to him for that.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Michael Carrick is our most important midfielder, but he's hit a plateau.

He's chipped with some goals this season, which is nice, but the one thing that irks me rarely carries the ball forward. He operates fine when he has lots of space, but the moment players close him down, he usually turns his back to the opponent and makes a backward or side ways pass.

He very rarely tries to shield the ball then dribble away with the ball and bring it forward like paul Scholes used to do so naturally.

(off-topic. How much do I miss Paul Scholes from his prime or from the 06/06 season?)

Giggsy does it quite well and Carrick needs to do it more often.

We're lacking drive in midfield and if opponents close Carrick down all day long there's hardly any drive coming from midfield.

Anderson is quite good at doing it, but he's not been doing that often enough this season. He's been very subdued.

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
Personally I think he's currently our most important central midfielder, he's the only one who threads any balls in behind for people and position wise he's very good.

Would like to see him controlling the play a little bit more like Scholes does/did and also doing a little more running to close tings down but on the whole I think he's excellent.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I doubt anyone here has 'concerns' with Carrick, IMO he has been our best midfielder this season, put in a few MOTM preformances and in general plays well consistently. He's always been one of my favourite players and people have often questioned his price tag but I think he's worth every penny, look at that game he played for England a few months back where he ran the game and even non-united supporters thought Capello should play him permanently.

He is neither a holding or attacking midfielder which in a way is a drawback as we can't have a player holding and one going forward but he is decent both ways. He tracks back well, his passing is immense, I think he and Alonso are the top passers in the Premiership and he isn't bad at finishing either. I think he's key to our title challenge.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Nemanjaaa said:
I doubt anyone here has 'concerns' with Carrick, IMO he has been our best midfielder this season, put in a few MOTM preformances and in general plays well consistently. He's always been one of my favourite players and people have often questioned his price tag but I think he's worth every penny, look at that game he played for England a few months back where he ran the game and even non-united supporters thought Capello should play him permanently.

He is neither a holding or attacking midfielder which in a way is a drawback as we can't have a player holding and one going forward but he is decent both ways. He tracks back well, his passing is immense, I think he and Alonso are the top passers in the Premiership and he isn't bad at finishing either. I think he's key to our title challenge.
I actually start my post stating that he's our most important midfielder, but like you said, he's neither here nor there. Not a box-to-box midfilelder either, you know. he' sprays the ball around and creates movement but he could be so much more.

his passing is sublime, let me tell you, he's the best passer of the ball in the prem, but he could and should be better. it would elevate him to en even higher level, if he could move more with the all. Drive the game forward like Lampard does.

He doesn't do it often enough and United could use it at the moment with Hargo injured and Anderson having a quiet season thus far.

·
United's masseuse
6,296 Posts
He isn`t a consistent player, but now i`m getting used to that with the players we have got. But when it`s his day, he is a joy to watch and fortunately, its only occasionally that he seems unnoticeable. He may not score many goals, but his role doesn`t make goals a priority, let`s just thank God for the 7 goals he scored these last 2 years nd a half he has been with us.

21 - 40 of 102 Posts