Manchester United Talk banner
41 - 60 of 102 Posts

·
I'm so gorgeous they want to arrest me
8,772 Posts
Carrick has been fantastic this season with the exception of the last 2 or 3 games. He has been our best midfield player this season IMO.

·
23,699 Posts
Nemanjaaa said:
He is neither a holding or attacking midfielder which in a way is a drawback as we can't have a player holding and one going forward but he is decent both ways. He tracks back well, his passing is immense, I think he and Alonso are the top passers in the Premiership and he isn't bad at finishing either. I think he's key to our title challenge.
Good point. I do think Carrick is a bit 'controversial'.

At one glance, he does not look that solid or great a central midfielder as the usual ones we have in mind because he lacks the steel, power and drive (as in "carries the ball forward", not motivation), and is neither a full-fledged defensive midfielder or an attacking midfielder. He seems contented to sit back a little, pull the strings and to distribute the ball unlike what we covertly hope for, a box-to-box, full-of-energy, all-action hero a la Keano.

But he does make it up with his range of passings, positional sense, intelligent plays and clever timely interventions, and is still a classy and our best central midfielder now that Scholes is into the twilight of a long illustrious career (same for Giggs, unfortunately too, who has excited many fans for his central midfield display against Chelsea).

I feel he does need to play along someone who can complement his percieved weaknesses, say Hargreaves (for his tenacity) or Anderson (for his power but whom unfortunately despite what he was bought for as a direct replacement for Scholes also does not drive forward as much as we hope for). Incidentally, a neither-here-nor-there feeling also applies to Fletcher, which probably sums up our central midfield's shortfall and I suspect Fergie may take a good hard look in this department in the summer.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
RedForceRising said:
I actually start my post stating that he's our most important midfielder, but like you said, he's neither here nor there. Not a box-to-box midfilelder either, you know. he' sprays the ball around and creates movement but he could be so much more.

his passing is sublime, let me tell you, he's the best passer of the ball in the prem, but he could and should be better. it would elevate him to en even higher level, if he could move more with the all. Drive the game forward like Lampard does.

He doesn't do it often enough and United could use it at the moment with Hargo injured and Anderson having a quiet season thus far.

brilliant asessment carrick has got some great attributes has you have highlighted but he lacks the main one in my book which is the DRIVE like you also say.
in fact none of utds central midfielders seem to have an abundance of drive thats the reason the strikers can be seen mostly in midfield {they are looking for the ball }. if only carrick would surge forward with the ball instead of turning sideways or backwards looking for the great pass.

·
Registered
542 Posts
i am wondering why also fletcher is untouchable .... but nani berbatov and anderson anything they do bad theres a 300 post forum about that percific touch.. wtf?!

·
United's masseuse
6,296 Posts
forzaunited said:
i am wondering why also fletcher is untouchable .... but nani berbatov and anderson anything they do bad theres a 300 post forum about that percific touch.. wtf?!
Nani, Berbatov and Nani should not be slated, and either should be Fletcher. But if you think he is an untouchable, then you are mistaken. Some of the fans, still have not realized the value he has got. They still think he is a sloppy midfielder, i hope you aren`t one of them by that comment you`ve said.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
forzaunited said:
Because ppl expect very little from him and love a "tryer" :rolleyes:
He also used to be so poor that whenever he's decent, his display is blown out proportion. He can't even complete a simple pass ffs!

Really one of my least-loved United players, BUT he's there when we need him.

Nobody will say it, but his passing is **** poor. If any other player on the pitch passed like that, fans would be calling for their heads, but because it's Fletcher it's oK.

to me, he's improved quie a bit and where i used to regard him as uselss, he is now decent and i don't get so worried when he plays.

His positioning has improved a lot and he does his defensive duties very well. His presence in the centre of the park makes it more difficult for other teams to attack and when he's given the task to mark a player, he will the hound that guy down till he doesn't want to play anymore.

He also gives his best and hustles. So I think his work rate makes ppl forgive his technical flaws.

Intersting statisitic, is that we have not lost a match that Fletcher has started this season!

·
United's masseuse
6,296 Posts
It is because he was always there for the big games, its because you can trust a task in his hands. Its because he`s faithful and never done anything less than respecting that shirt. He is no Ronaldo or Rooney, fact. But for me, his presence counts a lot.

He`s a gem, just ask Fergie ;)

·
Registered
542 Posts
i have my opinions..... i belive we could get better players than fletcher :S

actually i feel sorryy for him fergies probally told him to stay low-key and do a simple pass to a player. he could move and show his ability to flare in a club like 5th 6th 7th place. i just think united can get better quality players tbh

·
United's masseuse
6,296 Posts
forzaunited said:
i have my opinions..... i belive we could get better players than fletcher :S
He is one of my favorite players, and although he is skillful, i don`t think its because of his football ability but his loyalty is the thing i mostly admire in him. You won`t find players like Fletch in every corner nowadays !

·
Registered
542 Posts
RoxiiUtd said:
He is one of my favorite players, and although he is skillful, i don`t think its because of his football ability but because of his loyalty. You won`t find players like Fletch in every corner nowadays !
hmm agree on some point, when he does silly challenges and miss time tackles and sloppy passes it annoys me. true he makes up for it with his work rate and loyality but with a better talent them kind of things wouldnt happen anyways.

manchester united are a big enough club to attract players loyatily and quality.. anyway i agree with some of ur point.

but nowdays the football world moves very fast and you dont know what's gona happen.......

·
United's masseuse
6,296 Posts
forzaunited said:
manchester united are a big enough club to attract players loyatily and quality.. anyway i agree with some of ur point.
In the same time you should say that with all this money going on, it is very difficult to remain loyal with the same club for 9 whole years. Nowadays, big clubs are no different to the small ones in the argument of keeping players and winning their loyalty. It all goes around money, look at Manchester City for instance. The thinking of Kaka considering City when he is at Milan is already crazy. But he is.

So yh, if Fletch has got no merit for what he did, he should get one for his loyalty.

That`s my opinion ;)

·
The Mexican Boy George
7,601 Posts
ive always had doubts about carrick, I dont think he is a leader in the midfield and he has his limitations defensively, but I disagree with the notion that he has not been quality this season, imo this has been his best season with the club.

·
Registered
542 Posts
i cannot win... grr....

what if united found a player same loyailty of fletcher but incredible talent!?

you can be good and loyal.. i was guna use kaka as an example...nevermind.

look at messi comprende

·
United's masseuse
6,296 Posts
forzaunited said:
i cannot win... grr....

what if united found a player same loyailty of fletcher but incredible talent!?

you can be good and loyal.. i was guna use kaka as an example...nevermind.

look at messi comprende
You cannot prove the loyalty of this player until he has been 9 years or more with us, and never complained ;)

And who said Fletcher isn`t incredible? You should have saw his partnership with Giggsy last Sunday !!

·
He wipes front to back
27,654 Posts
carrick was my man of the match yesterday so it just goes to show we all see games differently .

when he comes back after time out he does things too slowly but with run in side he makes us tick .

i reckon he will improve for next few years as well

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
Through the first half of the season (basically before his injury) he was coming into his own and bossing us through most games. But since he has come back, he has yet to stamp his appearance in a game, IMO. I think he is just as effective as Lampard or Gerrard, as long as he is put in the right system. I could go into a rant about how he needs wingers to be most effective as it opens up the width and passing lanes, but I won't.

However, we need him to perform solidly and as he has before his injury if we are going to win important silverware this season.

Lastly, it is very reassuring after seeing Giggs against Chelsea that we have another player to count on if Carrick gets hurt or needs a breather in the midfield, or just a different change of pace. I would be interested to see a Giggs & Carrick pairing in an upcoming match as well.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Plaudits for pass master Michael

http://www.manutd.com/default.sps?pagegid={F9E570E6-407E-44BC-800F-4A3110258114}&newsid=6625833

Dimitar Berbatov may have bagged the headlines with his winning goal against Spurs on Saturday - but arguably the real architect of United's FA Cup fourth round victory was another former Tottenham man.

Michael Carrick had another impressive performance at the heart of the team, epitomised by his defence-splitting ball to Berbatov for the decisive goal in the 36th minute. That moment earned the ex-Spurs player the praise of not only his manager - "a marvellous pass by Michael Carrick" purred Sir Alex - but also from the midfield master himself, Paul Scholes.

"It was a great finish from Berba but I think you have to look at the pass as well from Michael," Scholes told MUTV. "The pass split the defence wide open. It was a great ball and Berba had the simple task of putting it in the net."

From a low right-wing corner, Carrick also set up Scholes' goal. This cancelled out the visitors' shock lead and gave Paul his first strike of the season - although some pundits have logged it as an owngoal by Tottenham's Tom Huddlestone.

"It was quite a poor start, we were sloppy, giving the ball away and they made us pay for that," Scholes reflected. "But we stuck at it, kept going forward and then got a lucky goal. Was it mine? If it was on target, yes. If not, then it wasn't."

Although he missed October, November and the early December action through injury, Scholes feels his first goal of the season was overdue. “It's not great, we're in January, in the second half of the season. You want to be scoring a bit sooner than that," he said.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Yep, another great performance from Carrick and 2 assists to his name.

He's an important player imo, and should be first pick in midfield unless injury, suspension hits or a resting period is needed. He can still improve certain aspects of his game, but that doesn't mean to say he's a bad player, because he's anything but.

Teddy Sheringham is also a massive fan (as is Harry Redknapp it seems);

Daily Express

TEDDY HAS HOME TRUTHS FOR SPURS

Berbatov celebrates scoring against Tottenham

AFTER having accused *Tottenham of not trying, Teddy Sheringham then rubbed salt into the wounds of his former club by lauding the talents of two players they sold to Manchester United.

It is no surprise Sheringham should admire Dimitar Berbatov, considering the similarity of their playing styles. And he believes that Michael Carrick should be a shoo-in for England’s midfield department, saying that no other player in the country could have played the first-time pass which sent Berbatov through for United’s second goal.

Sheringham never wasted much energy chasing lost causes but, like Berbatov, he had the football brain and the ability to see and deliver a pass and the finishing skills to score goals.

United fans have taken time warming to Berbatov but, after he made a major contribution for the sixth consecutive game, Sheringham admitted he has always been a fully paid-up member of his appreciation society.

“I’m a big, big fan of Berbatov,” he said. “In fact, I think he’s a player like no other. He goes around the pitch at his own pace but then, all of a sudden, he will put on a burst of pace and leave his man for dead.

“He does things you don’t expect and that’s what makes him so exciting. He also brings other players into the game and he’s very clever on the ball.

“I really enjoy watching him. That said, I can understand how he could frustrate some fans. Some people want to see a bit more enthusiasm from him, but that is just how he plays football. Personally, I love it.”

As for Carrick, who also set up Paul Scholes’ first goal of the season, Sheringham believes he should be a regular in the England team for his supreme passing ability, saying: “He would be my pick for England every time because he can open up defences.

I don’t think anyone else in the country could have played that first-time ball for Berbatov’s goal like he did. It was a fantastic pass and Berbatov produced a great first touch to keep the ball away from the defender before tucking it away beautifully.”

Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp may not have agreed with Sheringham’s scathing assessment of his team’s efforts in an anti-climactic second half, but he did concur on Carrick, who is a player he helped nurture through West Ham’s academy.

Redknapp said: “If England were to play with three in midfield, you could see him sitting in that central position, like a quarterback if you like, supplying the passes, with Frank Lampard and Steven Gerrard running forward and scoring goals. Michael would be fantastic in that position.

“Not too many can pick a pass like him. And he always wants the ball, he’s always available, always happy to receive it in tight areas. He never hides. He’s top quality. Spurs have never replaced him. I don’t think you can.”

For half an hour on Saturday Spurs, boosted by Roman Pavlyuchenko’s fifth-minute header, gave a good account of themselves. But two goals in 90 seconds killed off their resistance.

Scholes is claiming United’s first, even though his shot from outside the box took a deflection off Spurs’ Tom Huddlestone.

It ended the longest wait Scholes has had in his 15-year first-team career to open his account for a season and, honest as ever, he said: “It’s not great I should wait till January to get my first of the season. I should be scoring sooner than that.”

After Berbatov added the second to take his tally for the season into double figures, Spurs opted for damage limitation and saving their legs for tomorrow’s Premier League dogfight at home to fellow strugglers Stoke.

Redknapp defended his patched-up team’s lack of second-half adventure, saying: “To say we were not trying to win is rubbish. You have to be so careful that you don’t get smashed up at Old Trafford by trying to open them up and end up losing by four or five.

“I was missing players who would have made a difference and carried the game to United.We did our best. I’m sorry if other people didn’t think so.”

United’s comfortable win was marred by youngsters Fabio Da Silva and Danny Welbeck joining their injury list. Cristiano Ronaldo also came off with a stomach bug, but should be fit for tomorrow’s visit to West Brom.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
It was a sublime pass.

Carrick has definitely benefited from playing next to the master that is Paul Scholes, so perhaps that could do the same for Anderson. But, that might be too risky, as we'd be pretty exposed in midfield without Carrick or Fletcher.

Originally Posted by peterswellman
IMO, I would have Hargreaves in my team over Carrick anyday of the week. A much better player and a brillant midfield.
LOL.

41 - 60 of 102 Posts